• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reconstitution

I seem to recall a similar version of this with him still up on the step and an adoring woman (flight attendant?) looking up at him - but that could just be age-tainted memory.

🍻
Your memory is fine ... it was, in fact, a colleague of mine. He was a AF ("air element" then) capt in Trenton doing something related to NavAids and he was required to go back and forth to the US manufacturer's facility on an irregular but often urgent basis and the Comd of Air Transport Command - there was such a thing - authorized the use of the executive jet fleet for that purpose.

Anyway a local PRO met him at the flight line, and, as my acquaintance was always well turned out, "posed" him for the picture and it got used by the national recruiting campaign. We all laughed, too; the young capt was mortified.

Your memory is fine ... it was, in fact, a colleague of mine. He was a AF ("air element" then) capt in Trenton doing something related to NavAids and he was required to go back and forth to the US manufacturer's facility on an irregular but often urgent basis and the Comd of Air Transport Command - there was such a thing - authorized the use of the executive jet fleet for that purpose.

Anyway a local PRO met him at the flight line, and, as my acquaintance was always well turned out, "posed" him for the picture and it got used by the national recruiting campaign. We all laughed, too; the young capt was mortified.
I just snorted coffee.

I am always wary of the PAOs and Image Techs for this very reason. "We're just taking some pictures for Combat Camera..." and before you know it you're the face of the Defence Team Basket Weaving Initiative.

Some things never change.

I just snorted coffee.

I am always wary of the PAOs and Image Techs for this very reason. "We're just taking some pictures for Combat Camera..." and before you know it you're the face of the Defence Team Basket Weaving Initiative.

Some things never change.
When sailing I always made it clear to the Image Tech embarked that I was not interested in having my picture taken. They always chose the worst/silliest times, like when reading a thermometer, using the hand held instrument, or holding the course/speed board during a RAS.

Like this;
162_web.jpg

Using that stuff has taken up maybe 1 hour of my nearly 23 years as a Met Tech, but people love an "action shot"...

When sailing I always made it clear to the Image Tech embarked that I was not interested in having my picture taken. They always chose the worst/silliest times, like when reading a thermometer, using the hand held instrument, or holding the course/speed board during a RAS.

Like this;
162_web.jpg

Using that stuff has taken up maybe 1 hour of my nearly 23 years as a Met Tech, but people love an "action shot"...
I particularly like the "action shot" of the guy in the background sitting on his ass scrolling through his facebook feed. More of that true to life type of advertising will prevent recruits from being disappointed when they join the military and find out what they actually spend most of their time doing...

:cool:

I don't care what any of you say about this recruiting ad. This is my generation and I grew with the CF Recruiting song: "There's no life like it!." I proudly wore that CF Greens as a young NCM and had to put up with the bus driver uniform - work dress.
I still remember the rousing but insipid lyrics and the catchy tune:

"There's no life like it!
There's no life like it!
And I don't regret the day
When I chose to live the Force's way
Training, travel, money in the bank
This, we all have, the Forces to thank
There's no life like it!
There's no life like it!"

This is the generation that had to make "unification" work, survive the Cold War, went to the Balkan's Conflict and Afghanistan. We fought to keep the CF's capabilities and corporate knowledge alive despite fiscal cutbacks and retirements during the 1980 - 2000s.

We are the generation that trained the younger generation that are coming to be in charged now. Yes, we had our faults, but everyone has less than stellar performers and at times The Peter Principle is at play here, as any large organization.

Let's hear another rousing chorus of "There's no life like!"

Last edited:

Posterity thanks you! ;)

Howie Mandel Good Job GIF by America's Got Talent

I don't care what any of you say about this recruiting ad. This is my generation and I grew with the CF Recruiting song: "There's no life like it!." I proudly wore that CF Greens as a young NCM and had to put up with the bus driver uniform - work dress.

There's no life like it!
There's no life like it!

This is the generation that had to make "unification" work, survive the Cold War, went to the Balkan's Conflict and Afghanistan. We fought to keep the CF's capabilities and corporate knowledge alive despite fiscal cutbacks and retirements during the 1980 - 2000s.

We are the generation that trained the younger generation that are coming to be in charged now. Yes, we had our faults, but everyone has less that stellar performers and at times The Peter Principle is at play here, as any large organization.

I actually liked this ad series and joined under it.

Meanwhile, the US is (unsurprisingly) hitting hard on social media.

Example 1:

View attachment 81087

Example 2:

View attachment 81088
This is how you get Gen Z and Gen A.

They don't trust advertisements because they have had, probably, one of the most robust educations in media literacy in recent generations.

This is the "influencer" affect. They will trust someone "just like them" pushing the exact same messaging before they trust a multi-million ad campaign. Why? It comes across as more genuine and authentic.

Social media is the majority of the media consumed by those 18-25. If you fail to reach them there, you're wasting your time.

This is how you get Gen Z and Gen A.

They don't trust advertisements because they have had, probably, one of the most robust educations in media literacy in recent generations.

This is the "influencer" affect. They will trust someone "just like them" pushing the exact same messaging before they trust a multi-million ad campaign. Why? It comes across as more genuine and authentic.

Social media is the majority of the media consumed by those 18-25. If you fail to reach them there, you're wasting your time.
However, the US military also spends tons on ad campaigns, flyovers, and everything else. I think they’re just doing the “shotgun“ approach and see what works.

One thing they haven’t sent a lot on is e-sports - not all services are convinced having a team (even if it’s just their folks who already play e-sports) is worthwhile. The RCAF has Game Force, which is basically getting folks who already play on a team and entering in tournaments. They won the last one against a few US military teams.

Good point. How is the CAF doing with its presence on Tik Tok? ;)

TikTok remains top social app for teens despite drop in favorability, study finds​

• TikTok remains teens’ most favored social media platform so far in 2023, though its favorability fell one percentage point from the fall of 2022 with a 37% share, according to Piper Sandler’s Spring 2023 Taking Stock with Teens survey.
  • Behind TikTok is Snap (27%) and Instagram (23%). TikTok has been the top ranking social media app since spring 2022, when it unseated Snap. Thirty-one percent of teens spend their daily video consumption on Netflix, followed by YouTube (28%), both falling one percentage point from last fall.

Good point. How is the CAF doing with its presence on Tik Tok? ;)

TikTok remains top social app for teens despite drop in favorability, study finds​

• TikTok remains teens’ most favored social media platform so far in 2023, though its favorability fell one percentage point from the fall of 2022 with a 37% share, according to Piper Sandler’s Spring 2023 Taking Stock with Teens survey.
  • Behind TikTok is Snap (27%) and Instagram (23%). TikTok has been the top ranking social media app since spring 2022, when it unseated Snap. Thirty-one percent of teens spend their daily video consumption on Netflix, followed by YouTube (28%), both falling one percentage point from last fall.
GoC prefers to leak its information to Chinese security services the old fashioned way.

GoC prefers to leak its information to Chinese security services the old fashioned way.

I'm sure if it's on Instagram or Facebook it's just as accessible to the Chinese or Russians. The difference is knowing what and where to post it.

The CAF approaches social trends like someone bound and determined to eat broth with a fork; pissed off that everyone else is using a spoon, but reluctant to swap based on the belief it worked for the salad course and is needed for the main... so why put it down?

I'm sure if it's on Instagram or Facebook it's just as accessible to the Chinese or Russians. The difference is knowing what and where to post it.

The CAF approaches social trends like someone bound and determined to eat broth with a fork; pissed off that everyone else is using a spoon, but reluctant to swap based on the belief it worked for the salad course and is needed for the main... so why put it down?

TikTok collects and reports back significant additional data.

To your point, though, yes, GoC social media engagement is terrible across the board. While the occasional CAFinUS sneaks through, mostly, it's a poor collection of PCO filtered, DM and ADM friendly pablum.

I'm guessing that alarming headlines like this, if they see them, don't give many potential recruits confidence in seeking out a CAF career ....

There's no life like it!
There's no life like it!

We are the generation that trained the younger generation that are coming to be in charged now. Yes, we had our faults, but everyone has less than stellar performers and at times The Peter Principle is at play here, as any large organization.

I liked that song and those ads when I was a kid. But I was 8…

TikTok collects and reports back significant additional data.
Data harvesting is done across platforms, sold to everyone from governments, corporations, and many other 3rd parties. It's part of the "User Agreement" most folks disregarded when the clicked "I Accept."

Besides... what exactly are they going to glean from an official account? 🤔

To your point, though, yes, GoC social media engagement is terrible across the board. While the occasional CAFinUS sneaks through, mostly, it's a poor collection of PCO filtered, DM and ADM friendly pablum.
It certainly gets the kids excited... I mean... they're flooding the CFRCs as we speak...

Back