• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rebuilding the RCMP

Im sorry, my bad as i misinterpreted what you were saying. By 'class' I thought you were stating that you were a Depot graduate... which confused the living bejesus out of me.

Crown-Loyal....

If you want to get into the RCMP, start with learning how to spell the motto correctly.  It's "Droit", not "Doit".

Crown-Loyal I am impressed with your faith and idealism in the Force! Please post back in three years after you've been posted to GD in the LMD and let us know how you feel then.  :(

Seriously though, if you are looking for any indepth info on the recruiting process or Depot, training and postings have a look at the www.blueline.ca/forum/ .  There are lots of folks posting on it who are at different stages in the process. It's an excellent resource and information exchange.

Don't rule out the Muni's either, as it is an applicants market. All Canadian LEO organizations are fighting for the same shrinking pool of suitable applicants.

Cheers
Noneck

thanks for the post noneck. I see your are in the seaforth good for you, i went down to the armouries for smokeys funeral... sad time but a fitting funeral. Thanks for the link it as a lot of very knoledgable stuff to read. General duty i guess is a right of passage, hopefully i get out of it as soon as possible. As for the munis i was told dont do it so young. My neigbour is deputy Chief Lucy of the Abbotsford police. He said that munis are fine for family men but will be boring for young applicants like me who want to go places. Basically he said in abby i would be on GD for years and years. In the rcmp there are way more positions and jobs out there.

As for black horse I see you are also the spelling police....it was a spelling mistake.

To add to the discussion, here's a Maclean's article I read 3 weeks ago: http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/canada/article.jsp?content=20060130_120538_120538

It is a very interesting read.

MdB said:
To add to the discussion, here's a Maclean's article I read 3 weeks ago: http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/canada/article.jsp?content=20060130_120538_120538

It is a very interesting read.

Thanks for that MdB, pretty interesting read.

indeed it was a good read. Raises some good points. I personally do not think you will see the rcmp drop its detachments and focus on FBI style work. There are to many small towns and cities that could not raise the money for their own municapal forces. Although i sappose they could emplememnt the old BC provincial police and make provincial police forces for all the provinces but then the different forces will have different training and technologies. With the RCMP you get complete canada coverage with officers that ( in theory ) have all the same great training.... plus sharing info is alot easier with one system.

Crown-Loyal

First of all once you graduate from Depot don't be so quick to get off GD, it's the heart and soul of police work! It's also where you learn the fundamental basics of policing.

You are not going to learn about LMD style big city policing at Depot, where they train for (the Contract Policing greatest common denominator) small towns and small Detachments. As far as information sharing, BC is all on it's own, as we have PRIME and the rest of the country has PROS.

In the LMD you will not have the opportunity for transfer (Unless it's an immediate operational requirement such as an LDP) for at minimum 5 years. I have just completed 6 and I have just started looking this year. The reality is between 6-8 years in your first posting. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Noneck

Coming from Quebec, RCMP patrolling is completely foreign for me (I think they are present only at the border). As far as I know, it's the provincial police or a regrouping of a few cities/towns police force that patrol small town and rural areas. And I think it's very logical.

I have always seen the RCMP as federal force, enforcing federal-related laws (like fraud, federal investigations, etc...). Now, knowing that need a certain kind of training, I cannot really understand how patrolling would be good for this force and a waste of training in my mind. Conversely, from the article, I know that street-level knowledge can be critical on certain investigations. Now what? Is that to say that the FBI isn't qualified for not doing patrolling? I don't think so.

I pass the ball, enough questions from me again.

MdB, come West of Ontario and bar some of the major cities, 95% of all municipal policing is done by the Force, as is the Maritimes.

Fully 1/3 of the RCMP is posted in E Div (BC) the majority on municipal contract policing. So as you can well imagine GD training is quite important for the 5000 +/- members that work in BC as well as the few thousand others that work in the other contract Divisions.

Noneck

I think the problem with the RCMP is that alot of people dont wish to be posted away from the cities, or mom and dad. The no pay in the Depot is hard to swallow as well, but from what a few friends of mine say about the force is they love it. Do your time up north and you get to pick your spot after that is what Im told.  :cdn:

Crown-Loyal.... perhaps I can clue you in on something here.  As a hopeful member of the RCMP, get used to having a mistake pointed out.  I have read some of your posts, and quite frankly, your heavy on attitude, and light on knowledge.  If you can't take a simple criticism about a spelling error without getting a smart mouth about it, then look for another career field.

Just a suggestion of course.  I know what I am talking about.  I took a lot of lumps both in the Military and the RCMP to learn that I wasn't all that and a bag of chips.  I've eaten more humble pie than I care to think about, and I know I will have to in the future as well.  But again, it's just a suggestion.

Yeah very true blackhorse, i agree that the attitude ( mine) has to tone down trust me i have been working on it. Before if someone lets say on my rugby team told me to do something differently i would chew his face off. now when someone gives me constructive criticism i take it into consideration and work it out. The only reason i said something about the spelling is because i thought you were trying to be a jerk about it... cant tell what tone people are taking while writing. Sorry about that. Life is all about learning I don't pretend to know everything...im light on knowledge and thats why I am on here to learn from your veteran ( if i can call it that ) experiences. Thanks for the suggestions....i agree completely.

Noneck..... i sort of dont want to me LMD partly because to many people will try to get me to get them out of tickets. I would like to experience the maritimes and even a small town in ALberta or Sasketchewan before I tackle the LMD. Or maybe straight off to Surrey for some interesting experiences in Whalley would do me some good  :threat:

Crown-Loyal....

I'm hardly a veteran... I still learn something new every day.  But I'm glad to see I didn't upset you further.  There's no harm in asking questions, if you want to know stuff.  As I'm sure you can see from all the different posts, there are people from all walks of life in here, and some who have definitely been there and done that.  Cheers...  :salute:

Blackhorse7 said:
Crown-Loyal....

I'm hardly a veteran... I still learn something new every day.  But I'm glad to see I didn't upset you further.  There's no harm in asking questions, if you want to know stuff.  As I'm sure you can see from all the different posts, there are people from all walks of life in here, and some who have definitely been there and done that.  Cheers...  :salute:

Just be sure you've done a thorough search of the forums before asking, to ensure it hasnt been asked and answered already.  ;)

Or so its been drilled into my head by the DS... (Sorry, couldnt help but throw that in)  :D

Sh0rtbUs said:
Just be sure you've done a thorough search of the forums before asking, to ensure it hasnt been asked and answered already.  ;)

Or so its been drilled into my head by the DS... (Sorry, couldnt help but throw that in)  :D

ya thanks.....i learnt that one pretty quick

Sorry for sounding like a new kid here...but whats LMD. Looked thru the forum and saw nothing telling me what this means!!!
Thx

Lower Mainland.  It's the urban area that covers Surrey, Vancouver, Delta, Abbotsford, Langley, etc...

Thanks..

I was told that alot of those areas around Vancouver were going their own police, is this a wrong statement? I think Vancouver itself is the only spot around there with its own police units ...right?

Back