• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Re-enlisting in Reserves????

nope you're not crazy. This is infact what my dad did. He left infantry in 90' did his univeristy, and rejoined as an officer in 97 or 98 I can't remember. Anyways He wishes that he had never left at all, but that university paid off way more in Res then it ever did in civi. I say go for it. I believe he also said that anyone looking for full time Res will most likely get it.

Of course you're crazy, aren't we all??  ;)  I got in in '86, out in '89, joined the Reserves in '90, out in '95 and back in the Reg Force in '96.  Still here and still enjoying it.  :)

I can see it now... 1996
Recruiter:  So are you sure you want to get back in?
Moe: Sure, I'm sure!
Recruiter: So you're positive?
Moe: Yes Sir!
Recruiter:  So after 2 go's, you want back in?
Moe:  Yep!
Recruiter: *Pause*
Moe:  I think I do... :-\

:rofl:

Actually, when I got the call to get back in the Regs in '96, my Sgt from the Reserves called the CFRC and asked them if they wanted him to reinstate me in the Reserves so it was just a "roll over".  I WAS still with the SRR at the time. 

Well I was in Wpg Rifles from 80-95 and thinking about going back in?
I am established in my civi job, lot's of seniority, flexibility (and I know from the past, that is a must and probably the main reason I got out).
I do miss it, and kind of thinking about what basic will be like?

I think I can hack the grunts again, physically anyways (I hope)

Damn, I was the section commander for the current RSM of the unit!

John :cdn:

R.Wpg.Rif., if you find youself thinking about the military while in you civvy job. Then you are in the wrong job. Suck it up and go for it.
If you are married and have a family, good idea to discuss your intentions with them, first.

GUNS said:
R.Wpg.Rif., if you find youself thinking about the military while in you civvy job. Then you are in the wrong job. Suck it up and go for it.
If you are married and have a family, good idea to discuss your intentions with them, first.

The sad and pathetic part is that you are correct.
I will go and pick up some info tomorrow.

Stay tuned

John :salute:

i was in 96 and out 04, now decide to get back in and start basic all over again.

Unfortunately redoing basic sucks but when you think about it, it will give you more credibility vis-à-vis others because you will have shown you can still do it whereas guys like me who did it 20 years ago just ride the wave thinking (read hoping) I could still do it. If you get a deployment in a theatre you will be happy to have had the ''refresher''.

vyrago said:
...I was in the process of deciding if I should stay or muster out when some months later I was informed by a friend in the unit that I had been release 5(f) due to NES.  I panicked and called the orderly room immediately to see what could be done to make amends in any way.  I eventually spoke with an officer who told me that if I turned in my kit immediately and faxed him copies of the forms proving I did so, he would 'help' me with my release.  I raced down and turned in ALL my kit in good order and promptly faxed him the needed documents.  I waited a week and he didnt call.  when I contacted him he wanted nothing to do with me and said something to the effect of "you turned in your kit, we owe you nothing."... 

Virago,

The P Res throws 5(f) releases around like crazy when guys don't turn in their kit. I see someone at least once every other month trying to get back in with a 5(f) in his jacket. Unfortunately for applicants, we take these very seriously and if it is legit. we turn down the applicant. In your case, if you turned in your kit when told to, the recruiting staff (Military Career Counsellor or MCC) will evaluate the circumstances and potentially request a re-enrolment waiver. If you did return your kit, your release should have been changed from 5(F) back to 4(c). If they left it at 5(f), you must have p..off someone and really waited a long time to turn your kit in after multiple warnings from your unit to come in.

The mentality is changing slowly. We realise more now that people will join the CF for a while, then do something else then return for another little bit and so on. Research says that generation Y and the new one coming into the work force will change careers at least 7 times throughout their lives. We're not getting lifers anymore so we have to be more flexible with re-enrollees.

I guess the real question is how am I going to fit into a unit with guys/girls that are 10 years younger than me?  I dont know what the army is like now, but to see a 30+ year old private/corporal was a little rare.  Plus, if I do basic again in garisson with the training det, how long will it take? 

I've enrolled a few 40+ guys lately and told them to show the younglings how its done. You have an advantage. If you are able to do it at your age at least you've prooven it., whereas the younger kids don't know how fit they will be when they reach your age. Its all about the positive approach.

The physical aspect doesnt scare me at all.  with the workout program im on, I feel more than prepared.  its just the 'fitting in' part, if you get my meaning. 

vyrago, you will fit in fine. You will just have to get used to being called, "Pops, Old Man, Father Time, etc."

I would sooner have a man with a few years under his belt. Than some kid who doesn't know what a belt is used for.

Back