• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCN Seamanship Manual (50's or 60s)

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Some of our older salts may be able to shed some light on the following.  ;)

A few years back I found a copy of the old RCN Seamanship Manual that I would estimate would have been issued to all new sailors as a sort of guide to Naval and shipboard life.

Now my question is that I had herd the RCN released a book of this basic style for all trade groups, I have seen a copy of the electricians version. Does anyone know of existing copies for the other trade groups ? I would love to have a complete collection of these either electronic or physical.

Anyways here's hoping!

Halifax Tar said:
Now my question is that I had herd the RCN released a book of this basic style for all trade groups, I have seen a copy of the electricians version. Does anyone know of existing copies for the other trade groups ? I would love to have a complete collection of these either electronic or physical.

I think the naval museum in Alberta (whose exact name escapes me at the moment) either has, or is building, a complete collection of BRCNs and that would include the pubs you're asking about.

Royal Roads Military College's library used to have the set many year ago, I don't know where it went when they closed it.

Also, you may want to contact the librairian at McGill University in Monteral - I discovered many years ago that, for some unexplained reason, they had a whole sections of unclass pubs from the RN and RCN.

I would reccomend the naval museum in Esquimalt (a quick google search will give you their site) as they have a "secret" library that has a lot of great books.  Alternatively, try the library at NDHQ.  the librarians there are fantastic at finding that sort of thing.

All great stuff! Thanks guys as soon as I can get back real world I will be searching out those leads!

Thanks!

You may be able to find some of those pubs at the Canadian War Museum library.

To view a list of which ones they have (and other items from/about the RCN) try this link.

If that link doesn’t work go to their catalogue page and enter “Royal Canadian Navy Handbooks, manuals, etc” (without quotation marks) in the search field.

For info about getting access to this material go to this page.
http://www.warmuseum.ca/cwm/explore/military-history-research-centre/research-facilities-and-services

The Maritime Command Museum in Halifax also has a pretty extensive archival collection and library.  You might also try the Cambridge Military Library at RA Park.

Back