• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCN conducts first ever land attack with a Block II Harpoon missile

• Thread starter jollyjacktar
  • Start date
J

jollyjacktar

Interesting.  Story and video at link below.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-navy-precision-missile-1.3527532

jollyjacktar said:
Interesting.  Story and video at link below.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-navy-precision-missile-1.3527532

Reading the comment section is quite soul destroying. Mainly because these are the types of people the current government wants to hear from.  :facepalm:

Haven't you heard? You should NEVER read the comments section of anything on the Internet. Ever. Unless you're looking for a reason to drink.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

FSTO said:
Reading the comment section is quite soul destroying. Mainly because these are the types of people the current government wants to hear from.  :facepalm:

Just think of them as a target rich environment, then imagine a half dozen FFG heading up the St Lawrence within striking range of said targets...

Can the ESSM not hit a land target? I seem to recall the USN used the SM2 in a SSM role in the Persian gulf for low profile targets that the Harpoon Blk1 could not lock onto.

I know you guys warned us, about the comments section...

But, being childish like I am, it only made me want to go read it more.  And I did.    :facepalm:

How can these people honestly not understand that having a warship, in the navy, that can actually fire weapons, DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY translate into some kind of paranoid NWO bullcrap?

Because our education system reinforces them to challenge authority, so they see a conspiracy in every news article.

I would be happy if these were high school students asking these questions or making these statements, for they can be corrected (mostly).  But something tells me these are not high school students.

whiskey601 said:
Can the ESSM not hit a land target? I seem to recall the USN used the SM2 in a SSM role in the Persian gulf for low profile targets that the Harpoon Blk1 could not lock onto.

Does anyone have an answer for this? I know there is a big difference between SM2 and ESSM, but Im just asking the question- can an ESSM be directed against a fixed land target?

whiskey601 said:
Does anyone have an answer for this? I know there is a big difference between SM2 and ESSM, but Im just asking the question- can an ESSM be directed against a fixed land target?

You're confused. Check Wikipedia.

The harpoon wasn't used against land targets during combat ever. And while the sm2 and essm can physically hit land, they can't effectively be used to engage landbased targets.

whiskey601 said:

I did a little looking around, and the publicly-available product literature for the ESSM does describe a "surface mode".  A lot of the discussion online seems to describe that an ESSM target has to be illuminated by the ship's radar for mid-course guidance, and since you get a lot of backscatter over land, the performance is probably questionable.

PuckChaser said:
Because our education system reinforces them to challenge authority, so they see a conspiracy in every news article.

Well, the article is on the CBC website, so there is a conspiracy at work there, just not the one they are thinking of !  [:D

whiskey601 said:

The answer, W601, is no. ESSM's or SM2's cannot be used against specific land targets. You can shoot them at land if you want, and you will hit, but without any control whatever as to where it would hit.

It's all in the brains of the missiles. Tomahawk and Harpoon II in land mode have onboard guidance systems that let them receive specific coordinates input and self-guide to those very specific coordinates. They don't need to even know what is at this given coordinates: they will simply hit the given location. Hence, you can call in a land strike if need be.

The SM2 and ESSM, on the other hand, as anti-air missiles, have brains meant to deal with highly kinetic targets. They are not meant to go to a specific location, but to go to a general area and, once there, use their onboard various sensors to guide themselves to their target and detonate in front of it or on it. These sensors, radar, infra-red, ESM systems, look for a clear individual target and for lots of movement in it. It's bit like the Jurassic Park movie thing: T-Rex looks for movement, so don't move and he can't see you  [:). Thus a fixed land target doesn't work for them: when they get there, they would have a hard time distinguishing the target from the background (one house in a village, for instance) and the lack of movement would deprive them of targeting information to act on.

The reason they can be used less effectively and as a secondary measure for surface attack is that getting near, they would still see only one target (a ship or a boat) on a generally empty background and it has some, albeit slow, movement. The info is not as developed or crisp as what the missiles are used to, but absent anything else, they can try. Their drawback is that coming from well above (unlike anti-surface missiles like the Harpoon or Exocets that come in horizontally), they may or may not find something on the surface within their "search" cone to guide themselves to it.

CBH99 said:
How can these people honestly not understand that having a warship, in the navy, that can actually fire weapons, DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY translate into some kind of paranoid NWO bullcrap?

Because if that's the only narrative in your head, everything must be made to fit it.

PuckChaser said:

I have a great idea.  Lets pack them all up and ship them to Hit, Al Quaim, Mosul or some other lovely place in Africa currently in a SHTF state.

They can wave their hands around and be the Social Warrior Commando's there, in the real world, instead of from their tablets at their coffee shops and cottages.

Nothing like a good shot of 'the real world beyond our borders' to shock them into reality outside the relative safety of their pampered lives...

isis-homs-execution-5.jpg

Eye In The Sky said:
:rofl:

At the very least, log into JANES from a DWAN computer and check there...

Janes is overrated and often wrong.  In many cases Wikipedia is a better source as it will give links to references. Additionally, Wikipedia is better in this case as Wikipedia has links to the respective guidance methods for the missiles. This way the op can learn how the missiles work.

winnipegoo7 said:
Janes is overrated and often wrong.  In many cases Wikipedia is a better source as it will give links to references. Additionally, Wikipedia is better in this case as Wikipedia has links to the respective guidance methods for the missiles. This way the op can learn how the missiles work.

The op, as in me, doesn't give a shit how they work.  Not my part ship.

Eye In The Sky said:
I have a great idea.  Lets pack them all up and ship them to Hit, Al Quaim, Mosul or some other lovely place in Africa currently in a SHTF state.

They can wave their hands around and be the Social Warrior Commando's there, in the real world, instead of from their tablets at their coffee shops and cottages.

Nothing like a good shot of 'the real world beyond our borders' to shock them into reality outside the relative safety of their pampered lives...

isis-homs-execution-5.jpg
Well that was a disgusting photo to have pop up on my feed whilst I was eating breakfast and drinking my coffee.

winnipegoo7 said:

ROFL.  Yup, Wiki is better than low-side Janes!  :rofl:

Back