• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rarest piece of kit I've ever seen

Are you sure that those are actually Canadian.  If I remember correctly we produced Canadian 'Style' Combats with the disruptive pattern for one or more African Nations in the 1970's.  I remember seeing them worn by African soldiers in National Geographic photos.  It was so long ago, I forget what nation it was, but Kenya seems to stick in my mind.

Actually, the 1970's Trial DPM Combat Uniforms aren't as rare as some folks might think.  They still surface quite regularly on eBay, with shirt and trouser sets in decent condition (and human sizes) selling in the area of $100 to $125 USD.  I picked up two sets in the space of 4 or 5 months - one in mint condition size 4 Regular, and the other in Grade 2 condition in size 3.  The mint set is pictured on my web-site.

The DPM uniforms were actually produced in significant quantities - as in the thousands if not tens of thousands.  The were originally manufactured by Peerless Garments of Winnipeg under contract to the Tanzanian Government.  Yes, there are photos out there of formed battalions of Tanzanian soldiers during the late 1970's marching about in shiny new Canadian DPM combat uniforms.  Somebody within the Canadian Army leadership saw those uniforms, and ordered a large-scale field trial.  I know that at least one battalion of each brigade (including 4 CMBG in Germany) was issued the DPM combat uniform for fixed evaluation period.  At the end of the day, we elected not to adopt the DPM Combats for a number of reasons.  First and foremost, the DPM pattern was assessed as inferior to the plain Olive Green in terms of  versatility and camouflage effectiveness - particularly at night.  Second, the NYCO material produced by Celanese Chemicals of Montreal was notorious for premature fading.  A problem shared by the Canadian DPM Parachutist's Smock, by the way.  Anyhow, the DPM Combat uniforms faded extremely quickly, and when they did they took on an overall orange-brown tone.  In other words, they stuck out like sore thumbs.  Not a good thing in a combat uniform.

When Tanzania cancelled its contract with Peerless garments in the late 1970s literally thousands of production over-run uniforms made their way to Canadian surplus shops in mint, unissued condition.  I clearly recall seeing racks upon racks of them in various Vancouver shops well into the early 1980s.  I had three sets that I wore for Army Cadet field exercises - the DPM combats were that cheap and easy to acquire.  Over time, the stocks of those uniforms slowly dried up, but you'd be surprised at how many are still floating around out there, stuffed away and forgotten about in people's basements.  My web-site tends to attract sales offers from all over the place, and there have been numerous occasions where folks from right across Canada have stumbled across pieces of the DPM uniform while cleaning out their closets and basement boxes.

As an interesting aside, the Tanzanians went on to manufacture an indigenous copy of the DPM Combat uniform - complete with the uniquely Canadian pocket configuration, the slotted buttons, etc.  That has carried on right up to the present, with an unmistakable Canadian influence still evident in the current-issue Tanzanian combat clothing.  We had a Tanzanian student pass through the Tactics School last year, and I was quite surprised to see just how distinctly "Canadian" their latest uniforms remain.  

Just some mildly interesting historical info to help pass the time....   :)

I thought we trialed them and then refused them and the SA nation bought them but your story I am sure holds more water than my imagination on this issue. Nice to know a bit more of the background

Rare kit, huh?  I was at a garage sale in Legal, and a guy had this Weird Harold white metal plate on shoulder straps.  He didn't know what it was, but it was army, and neato, therefore $75.  I wonder if he ever found a sucker buyer for that GPMG manpack pintle mount?  Originally they were white, but I think this guy had an extra gallon of grey basement paint lying around....

Well, I thought it was rare at the time - Bosnia, ROTO 7, I'm a geeky little PRes Cpl still trying to figure out how I ended up in Coralici.

We're still in OD's at the time - but, because work-up was in the summer, in the heat, in Shilo, we had been issued desert boots, and American-DP "boonie hats"... none of that's rare, but there was a Reg F Medic MCpl with the ASC.  Who had a gucci piece that I've never seen before or since....

Apparently, while trialling designs for the new CADPAT kit - a lot of the kit was trialled with OD materials first - (IECS vs ICE anyone?) - but this guy had an OD "boonie hat" as opposed to the Red Green hat.  It looked TOTALLY checked out.

OD 'bats with matching boonie hat = sweet.

OD 'bats with american or CADPAT boonie hat = kinda silly

tlm.

How about an oriognal Devils Bregade Knife?

Yep.  I had Gen Fredrick's (Comd 1 SSF) Knife on my DA when I worked at HQ CFB Petawawa.  Pretty neat piece of kit...

SKT...
err.... his knife?
or one just like it?

eons ago, had a neighbor who had been a Capt in the Brit Paras... and he had one

geo said:
SKT...
err.... his knife?
or one just like it?

eons ago, had a neighbor who had been a Capt in the Brit Paras... and he had one
Geo, museum pieces and other items with historical significance are held on charge to DAs (now SCAs). The holder's of these DAs do indeed sometimes have care over some quite storried items.

SKT...
err.... his knife?
or one just like it?

Nope- his knife.  The knife sat in a display case in the foyer between the Base Commander and Brigade Commander's Office. Gen Fredricks had apparently presented it as a gift when the SSF was stood up in the 70's.  The leather scabard (which was stored under display case) had his name written on it in old india ink- much like how you would expect any good soldier to mark his kit!

Cheers

Vern.... I know all about being DA holder and the historical curiosities that can sometimes be found on a unit's DA..... always funny watching newbies doing an inventory: reading a cryptic description and trying to locate said object.

SKT.... all good soldiers "should" mark their kit - else have something so distinctive that everyone and his sister will know where to return misplaced & found kit ;)

Back