• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ranks at summer camp?

Muir

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just wondering, other than staff, is there ranks for the course cadets? I heard a bunch of different things, including that if you got a promotion at camp you get that rank at your home corps as well, which I don't think happens. After all, it's the CO and training officer that decides who gets promotions.

So how does it work? Is it the rank you go into the course with or are ranks decided during the summer?

Muir said:
I was just wondering, other than staff, is there ranks for the course cadets? I heard a bunch of different things, including that if you got a promotion at camp you get that rank at your home corps as well, which I don't think happens. After all, it's the CO and training officer that decides who gets promotions.

So how does it work? Is it the rank you go into the course with or are ranks decided during the summer?

The Ranks for course cadets is CADET  :salute:

OK, thank-you. As you can tell I've never gone to camp before, so I'm just trying to figure stuff out so I'm not surprised when I get there (Vernon).

Some Summer Training Centers (also depending on your Coy) give course Cadets an acting Rank for their graduation parades. For example little Course Cadet Timmy was best in his platoon over the summer, so they give him the acting rank of Plt WO, and he marches his Plt on for Grad parade.

There have been special cases in the past at Blackdown where cadets have been promoted to fill staff positions if the company is lacking. For example in 2004 when I was in CL, Foxtrot was severly short on staff therefore they promoted me and several other cadets to the rank of Mcpl to fill a Sgt position. We were allowed to wear the rank of Mcpl and we were also given the Mcpl arm bands.

p_imbeault said:
Some Summer Training Centers (also depending on your Coy) give course Cadets an acting Rank for their graduation parades. For example little Course Cadet Timmy was best in his platoon over the summer, so they give him the acting rank of Plt WO, and he marches his Plt on for Grad parade.

Thats true, it just depends on how well you did during your course.  They made me the parade commander for the Alpha Company grad parade last year at VACSTC because i can yell really loud lol.  Just do well and you will get rewarded.  Also when you go to CLI one cadet is assigned a "corporal"  shadow rank, where he or she is in command of three "privates" who are also your fellow course cadets.  These privates are section seniors and the corporal is the platoon "senior"  Your WOs take notes on how well you do (report on time, have each cadet looking good, shiny boots etc)  and it goes into your file.  The next day the rank is traded off to another cadet and the evaluating continues. 

Along with Grad Parade Positions, there are "ranks for a day" depending on what course you're taking.  For example, if you're doing a CL course, each cadet at one point in the summer should get a Private slip-on to wear for the day, and, under the watch and guidance of the platoon staff, will march the platoon to and from their timings, etc.

For a CLI course, it's a Corporal slip-on, and they'll take on more responsibilities.  The role of the platoon staff is played down, (there are no SGT positions for CLI staff at Vernon) allowing more practice for the course cadets in a leadership role.

Other than that, once you arrive at the base, the rank on your tunic means nothing.

Back