• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Quick Question about applying to the reserves.

Expedition

Inactive
Reaction score
Before I get to my question, just a little disclaimer, not trying to sound rude. I know how annoying it must seem to get all sorts of questions on here by people who have not researched or even looked into the FAQ so I looked through most relevant sections in the FAQ before posting. I tried to make my questions as unique and specific as possible.

I turn 16 in January and have been planning to apply for the Royal Westminster Regiment for sometime now. Awhile ago, I saw a post somewhere saying that in some cases, some people have submitted applications before they have completed grade 10 and had the recruiter delay submitting it until a certain time when they would be finished grade 10. Also, I remember seeing somewhere about getting a signed letter by a teacher saying I (or whoever is submitting the application) will be completed Grade 10 by June and submitting the application while completing Grade 10. Has anyone heard about cases like these or have any insight?

This whole 15 (or insert various numbers here) credits thing is rather frustrating for me. In BC and my school, we don't say you've completed grade 10 when you have 15 (or some other number) credits, we say you completed it when you complete the required courses, (planning, socials, math, science, English and the electives). But I have heard a lot of talk about numbers of credits in recruiting forums and websites, and its rather confusing for me. But overall, I am pretty sure none of these numbers are saying that there is anyway to be completed grade 10 for the army standard sooner than being completed for the school board standard. For example, on the 39 CBG recruiting website, it says all I need is a semester to join up which is confusing for someone on linear (me), because that would mean I could be completed grade 10 to their standards halfway through the year or I could be have enough of grade 10 completed even if I failed half my courses. If that was confusing, I'm just gonna continue under the assumption that I have to complete grade 10 fully.

Anyways, back to my original question, what your first link is saying is that, if i filled out my application on my 16th birthday, drove in to the regiment's recruiting office, with my parent, talked to him and handed it in, he could process me and the long processing time could be taken care of while I was completing grade 10 and when I was processed, he could set an enrollment/swearing in date for a time when I would be done grade 10?

To get an answer directly related to the way your school operates and when you are considered to have Grade 10, you will have to speak to a local recruiter to see how that situation has been handled in the past. Unless someone here has gone through your school system and has recently gone through recruiting, all anyone here can do is guess, or refer you to the "letter of the law" as expressed by the CF recruiting website. If your situation is unique, the local recruiters will know and advise accordingly.

Have you talked to the unit recruiter to find out if they are even accepting applications right now?

Michael O'Leary said:
To get an answer directly related to the way your school operates and when you are considered to have Grade 10, you will have to speak to a local recruiter to see how that situation has been handled in the past. Unless someone here has gone through your school system and has recently gone through recruiting, all anyone here can do is guess, or refer you to the "letter of the law" as expressed by the CF recruiting website. If your situation is unique, the local recruiters will know and advise accordingly.

Have you talked to the unit recruiter to find out if they are even accepting applications right now?

No, I have not yet talked to the unit recruiter yet partially because I cannot find a phone number for any of the units in Lower Mainland on their websites. I am just gathering hypothetical information but because of the information that MGalantine posted, I am thinking of going in soon after turning 16 and talking to the recruiter and getting some information and see if he will begin processing me before I am finished grade 10 to the current applicable standard. One of my cadet officers recently was with the corps at the Royal Westminster Regiment armory and knows the recruiter so I am going to ask what days I can go in.

Try the 39 Canadian Brigade Group website, from the "Recruiting" link on the Royal Westminster Regiment page:

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/39cbg/Recruiting/default.html

39 CBG HQ - Recruiting

In order to enrol in the CF, applicants must meet the following criteria:

* Be either a Canadian Citizen
    * Be at least 16 years old with parents' permission
    * Have a minimum of 6 grade 10 credits (Approximately 1 semester)
    * Be free of any legal obligations

You will be required to complete an Employment Application Form (DND 2170). You are also required to provide the following supporting documentation:

Original transcripts for your level of education (high school, college, and/or university)
Birth certificate
Proof of trades or qualifications
Proof of marital status (if applicable)
Letters of reference (Officer applicants only)http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/royal_westies/content_e.html

Upon receipt of the above documents and your Application, you will start a sreening process. The procees involves Aptitude Testing, Medical Examination, and Fitness Evaluation; as well as a series of interviews and a Reliability Check.

Please feel free to contact us for more details on the entire process

Phone:(604) 225-2520 ext 2436.
Email: 39CBG.Recruiting@forces.gc.ca

I've tried the email on the 39 CBG recruiting website awhile ago with questions but never got an answer. I sent a new email to that address today and I am going to find the number for the Westies recruiting office.

I sent an email to the 39 CBG recruiting address last week, but I have not heard anything back either.

Expedition said:
I've tried the email on the 39 CBG recruiting website awhile ago with questions but never got an answer. I sent a new email to that address today and I am going to find the number for the Westies recruiting office.

CFRC VANCOUVER
620 Royal Avenue
New Westminster, British Columbia
V3M 1J2
jobs@forces.ca

Phone: 604-694-6390
Fax: 604-694-6394

Business Hours:
Monday to Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Closed 23 Dec 2010 - 03 January 2011 for Holidays

OR

A COMPANY, ROYAL WESTMINSTER REGIMENT
530 Queens Avenue
New Westminster, British Columbia
V3L 1K3

Phone: 604-666-4282

I called the Westies today and they are only hiring officers.  I called the BCRs and they were hiring but said I would have to wait until June when I am done all my four mandatory courses that they require.

Back