• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question on Navy N1's and some new badge.

navypuke

Inactive
Reaction score
Not the SSI, but I'm seeing new Ordinary Seamen around the base in their N1's wearing a weird sheild shaped badge just below their right breast. I was told it had something to do with going to bootcamp in St Jean sur Richeleu. What would this badge be. Is it possibly an old army command badge that these guys forgot to take off their uniform. I know army units used to have badge/pin for the command they were under on their dress uniforms. Can anyone shed some light on this.

White shield with red stripe and lion down the middle?  It's the command badge worn by those in the trainig system and related organizations AFAIK. Staff/posted pers and students wear it. And the Army didn't use to wear command badges we still do and so do Air Force and Navel pers in Army units

If it's white with red in the middle and a griffon, it's D Mil Pers.

MM

They shouldn't be wearing the badge once they leave CFLRS, as soon as they are posted out and away from Chief Military Personnel. Some students under the Canadian Defense Academy also wear the Command Badge when outside of CFLRS.

Some belong to a command that has a badge, some don't.

navypuke said:
Why does this formation even get a badge and others don't?

Maritime Command used to have a command badge, and I think Air Command did as well (if not, its predecessor commands almost certainly did).

In the case of the navy, it's not really part of the heritage to wear a command badge.  I don't know when it was discontinued but I would guess that it was not too long after DEUs came into use.  The need for command badges was arguably greater when everyone in the Forces wore the same uniform.

There was another thread earlier about a Command Badge and if Maritimes Command should be wearing one.

Back