• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Well done Kirkpatrick, you "hammered" it  even down to the British getting the name wrong!

What was the significance of the Battle of the Teutoburger Wald, and who were the opposing commanders?

According Ian V.Hogg's book the Illustrated Encyopedia of Artillery  p190 Colonel Sir Alexander Moncrieff (1829-1920) was
the inventor of the first practical disappearing gun carriage. Was at the siege of Sevastopol in the Crimea.As at bombardment
of Mamelon on June 6 1855.Stuck by the vulnerability of the Russian gun he made up his to design some thing better. By 1869
his  design hydro-pneumatic mount.He received L10,000 award for this invention.
redleafjumper  that just what it is disappearing gun mounts. Martello towers there is one in St.John New Brunswick that is
fully restored

redleafjumper said:
Well done Kirkpatrick, you "hammered" it  even down to the British getting the name wrong!

What was the significance of the Battle of the Teutoburger Wald, and who were the opposing commanders?

www.ibdb.com
In this battle 7 A.D. was a defeat of 3 Roman Legion lead by Publius Quinctilius Varus.German Chief by the name Arminius
lead the tribes on three day running battle thought the forests of Teutoburger Wald.Wiping out most on the Roman Legion.
With this defeat the Roman's could not consolidate their rule in Germany.
No Legion bore the names XVII,XVIII or XIX after this battle

Armchair, that's a good concise answer on this battle which meant that the frontier of the Roman Empire ended on the Rhine rather than the Elbe.  If the Elbe had been held, the entire course of European history would have been different.  Consider that if the Germanic culture on the west side of the Elbe had been "Romanised" complete with roads, aquaducts, and so on, there would never have been the struggle of the Franco-Germanic cultures in Europe.  There would have been one dominant culture and not two.  Interesting to speculate about what might have been, but hey, that's part of the fun of history.

What were the 4 main clauses offered by Scipio and accepted by Carthage after the battle of Zama?

During WWII Mortar,Type 98 had what shape of base, along with bad intelligence lead to giving it a name.
This name lead to a number troops to get severe injury's. :threat:

You are talking about the Japanese "knee mortar" which had a curved base that looked like it would fit braced on one's leg to be fired.  If tried, the firer would get a broken leg for his troubles.

Find anythng on the peace with Carthage yet?

Treaty of Apamea was singed after the Battle of Zama
Under the term Antiochus was forced to:
1. Surrender all Warships
2. Surrender all Elephants
3.Pay 15,000 talents
4.Territory west of The Taurnus Mountains had to be evacuated

I could only find three:

The Battle of Zama left Carthage helpless, and the city accepted Scipio's peace terms whereby it ceded Spain to Rome, surrendered most of its warships, and began paying a 50-year indemnity to Rome. Scipio was awarded the cognomen Africanus in tribute of his victory. (http://www.barca.fsnet.co.uk/zama-continued.htm).

I'm still looking for #4.

M :brickwall:

My apologies for going off thread, am in the midst of the joys of moving but will be more regular in a week or two. Had the pleasure of visiting the Museum of the Regiments the other day so here are two questions. What were the first tanks used by the Canadians(purchased outright) and secondly, what were the original tank trainers based on(type of vehicle and manufacturer). Will send answers to Danjanou by PM
Cheers

tank trainers?.... Ford model Ts
1st outright purchase?..... Renault

What about the Mk VIII's?  This is from wikipedia:

Mark VIII

The Allied Mark VIII (Liberty) tankAmerican involvement in the development of the tank design led to the Mark VIII, also known as 'Liberty' or Anglo-American tank (though initially the French were partially involved).

The engine was compartmentalised from the crew, and the turret structure included forward and rear firing machine guns. Of a planned (shared production) 1500 each, 24 were built by the British before they pulled out of the project and 100 completed by the Americans. The 100 were produced between September 1918 - 1920, at the Rock Island Arsenal at a cost of $35,000 apiece.

They were used and upgraded up until the 1930s when given to Canada for training (as opposed to the M1917's which were sold at scrap value). The tank itself was over 34 feet long, and there had been an even longer 44 foot version planned but never made (the Mark VIII*). The tank was outdated by the 1930s due to its speed (under 6 mph) and armour (16 - 6 mm) but it did have one of the longest independent trench crossing capabilities of any AFV ever made. Modern MBT's and AFV's rely on bridge laying tanks for crossing large deep trenches.

Crew: 12 (later 10)
Weight 37 tons to 40 tons
Length/Height/Width : 34.16'/10.25'/12.33' (Mark VIII* length 44')
Engine: Ricardo 300hp gasoline (UK), Liberty V12 340 hp (US)

Redleaf,
Geo nailed the tanks correctly as Renaults but the issues of the vehicle used as a trainer is still open. In the early 80's when I did my CBT INT course they pulled the same thing on us, dressing something up to resemble something else in this case the manufacture was the same as the one I was looking for in the pre world war two time frame.

Pre WW2 german panzers went thru the same thing - but not for the same reasons...(treaty of Versailles)
Trainers HAD to be a car or truck chassis; Ford / Chev

According to the book British and American Tanks WWII by Peter Chamber and Chris Ellis  page 177:quote
In order to provide Canadian forces with tanks for training purposes in the summer 1940
at a time of acute shortage the U.S. sold 229 1919 vintage tanks to te Canadian Government at normal scrap value.
Of these  90 were MackVIII and the balance were American-built Renault FT type.They were used for training at
camp Borden.
It does not say what we used be for that but I would  have to say either the:Univeral Carrier or the Loyd Carrier
If they trained in England they could have used Light Tank MkIV or MKV :salute: :cdn:

The answer right from the horses mouth er PM

As I am moving my computer availability right now is hit and miss. I posted two questions and the answers are Renault Tanks and Chevy trucks in the 1919 era. My source is photo's on the wall of the Museum of Regiments, Lord Strats wing, Canada's First Tanks.
thanks

Pom-Pom what are they?And how did they get there name?
By the way I do not mean the cheerleader ones ;D ;D :salute:

The complete answer to the Carthage question is:

1.  The handing over of all ships of war and all elephants
      2.  Agreement to carry on no future war without the consent of Rome
      3.  The reinstatement of Masinissa in his former kingdom, and
      4.  The payment of 10,000 talents of silver spread over 50 years.

The source for this information is:

Fuller, J.F.C. Major General, C.B., C.B.E., D.S.O.  The Decisive Battles of the Western World and Their Influence upon History
        Volume 1, From the earliest times to the Battle of Lepanto. 3rd impression,  London: Eyre & Spottiswoode, 1963, page 144.

Pom Pom?  Well, that's the short 40mm Bofors anti-aircraft guns, especially in the naval mount.  The name is from two features, the flak burst in the sky and the sound of them firing, especially in a mulitple mount.  It has also been used to describe the long-barreled 40mm.

How many submarines did Germany make during World War 2 of each of the two types?  What were those types and where is the German U-Boat Memorial?

Pom-Pom the name predates the 40mm bofor by some time.A 37mm calibre automatic cannon devised Hiram Maxim.
It went in to production in the early 1890s.Basicaly an overgrown Maxim machine gun.Originally used by  navy's as an anti-torpedo-boat weapon.It was placed on wheeled carriage and first used as land weapon by the Boars
during the South African War. The rapid arrival of the small 1lb shells,and their detonation,
give rise to its nickname Pom-Pom,bestowed the British.
British adapted it as a light anti-aircraft gun in 1914.
By WWII the name applied to a number of automatic weapons of similar caliber use by the RN RCN
The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Artillery(Ian V Hogg) page 200

1,156 were built just before or during WWII of these only 863 were used operational.There over 10 Types built.
At the end  365 remained on May 8 1945 Were is a U-Boat Memorial at Moltenort Germany
www.uboatwar.net

Back