• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

OK, I'll have to research the why's of it. I know they were under British rule, perhaps it was part of an agreement between the greek cypriots and Britain?

To keep both and Greeks from invading the island. What native Canadian tribe was practtically annihilated in 1650 and by who

The Wendats by the Iroquois although many of their people died due to starvation before that.

I saw that on the next search hit! I guess I should have read a little more.

...Still wondering if it was them tho'

Hurons under the hands of the Iroquios is the correct answer. New question, What was the furthest provinvce east the the Japanese balloons landed in during WW2?

redleafjumper said:
Larry, that is crack on correct, the reversed facing colours distinguished French Cavalry trumpeters.  The other feature of note would be that the trumpeters usually had first pick of gray or white horses.

On a related note, who wore false sleeves on their tunics in the British Army?

on another musical note Micheal did not the drummers have the false sleeves?

Spr was not op Eagle Claw the failled resuce miision to get the u.s hostages out of Iran in 1980. Helicpoters crashed in the desert due to sand and bodes of US service personel were left behind. Col Beckwith covered it in his biography also made TV station news and the newspapers.

Correct,next.
What was the name of the runner who ellegedly delivered the announcement of the Victory at Marathon?

Phaedippas who uttered the single word "nike" (greek for victory) and then died.

one for you Spr. Earl
What was Operation Chesterfield and which infantry regiment was on the right of the line?

3rd Herd said:
one for you Spr. Earl
What was Operation Chesterfield and which infantry regiment was on the right of the line?

May 23, 1944, Operation Chesterfield - Canadians broke through Hitler Line in Italy. A quick search on my bookshelf shows the assault brigade was the 2nd brigade of the 1st Div, so that narrows in down to the PPCLI, Loyal Edmonton Regiment and Seaforths all of who were pinned downinitially and therir attacks failed. Although I also noticed the Carleton And Yorks Regiment of the 3rd Bde mentioned as succesfully exploiting the gap they made. No mention of how they were lined up though.

3rd Herd said:
New question, What was the furthest provinvce east the the Japanese balloons landed in during WW2?

Manitoba.

Ref: http://collections.ic.gc.ca/balloons/mission.htm
The Japanese air balloon bomb mission created the first intercontinental missile. It took the Japanese people over two years to design the balloons, bombs, and automatic dropping mechanisms. On November 3rd, 1944, the first balloon was released from Japan. Over the course of the War's last year, the air balloons traveled as far east as Michigan in the U.S., Manitoba in Canada and as far south as Mexico.

Dnajannou
yes you have answered what is was. Let's see if some of the other triva all statrs can come up with the line up, battlewise. For those of you really challanged pbi isfrom same regiment.

quasiparamdeic
You win the balloon question with Manitoba. And can collect you prize a free bag of hot air in ottawa

RiflemanPhil said:
My math teacher stumped me with a question in class today. What happened at Malmadie?

Do you mean "Malmedy"?

The Malmedy Massacre. On December 17, 1944, halfway between the town of Malmedy and Ligneuville in Belgium, an American battalion was captured by an SS force. About 150 POWs were disarmed and sent to stand in a field. About 80 men were killed by gunfire, and their bodies were left where they fell. Many prisoners escaped into nearby woods. News spread quickly among Allied soldiers, and an order went out that all SS officers and paratroopers should be shot on sight. The Malmedy Massacre is regarded as the worst atrocity committed against American troops during the course of the war in Europe.

Back