• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Who was the U.S. Jr.N.C.O. who got 3 U.S. General's dismissed in WWII?

Joe Lewis the Boxer,when he joined his Unit in England there were segregation order's posted preventing black U.S. Armed Force's from pub's to village's to town's under said Genaral's area's of command which went above and beyond U.S. segregation at the time and yet there was no segregation in England,Scotland or Wales since the middle ages.

okay...I was way off.  I was guessing it was a female officer who might have been involved somehow but I didn't even think of the seggregration issue.

Excellent question though

Spr.Earl said:
there was no segregation in England,Scotland or Wales since the middle ages.

There were segregation ? More then the religious one ?

Yrys said:
There were segregation ? More then the religious one ?
There was voluntary segregation due to ones religion depending where you lived,i.e Green or Orange but it was not legislated.

Question about "Question of the Hour" thread.

Can someone ask a question without knowing the answer ? To get the answer ?

Spr.Earl said:
There was voluntary segregation due to ones religion depending where you lived,i.e Green or Orange but it was not legislated.

Brits were quite segregationist in the Colonies in India and Africa though.

Yrys,

Give it a shot.  There's a lot of knowledge on here.  I think you should acknowledge however, that you're looking for the answer when you ask it.

Dan.

Reccesoldier said:
Brits were quite segregationist in the Colonies in India and Africa though.
Absolutely!
Anyone remember the movie Lawrence of Arabia & the reaction of the Brit officers when Lawrence brought in his arab companion into the officers mess.  The movie was fictionalized but, the reaction was true enough.

The Brits weren't too keen on Chinamen, Indians and Egiptians either from what I recall.

Yrys, fire away. Someone may know it. For the record this one won't count for turn purposes.  Rule is the first to get the right answer poses the next question.

Since things seem to have slowed a little, I thought I would throw this out.

"There sure were a lot of strangers in hell this morning" stated a Patricia Pte in an interview following his awarding of the Military Medal. Who was this private ? What were his deeds that saw him get the MM ?

Bonus:

Name of reporter and paper this interview was featured in.

geo said:
Absolutely!
Anyone remember the movie Lawrence of Arabia & the reaction of the Brit officers when Lawrence brought in his arab companion into the officers mess.  The movie was fictionalized but, the reaction was true enough.

The Brits weren't too keen on Chinamen, Indians and Egiptians either from what I recall.

Ergo Geo what does the expression wog mean in the true sense?

British word "wog" is a holdover from the days of the Empire and a disparaging term for a non-European, especially someone from India, an Arab, or any other Asian. The origin is not known for certain, but it is widely thought to be a clipping of the word golliwog, the name of a black-faced doll in Bertha Upton’s 1895 book The Adventures of Two Dutch Dolls and a Golliwog:

Then all look round, as well they may
To see a horrid sight!
The blackest gnome
Stands there alone,
They scatter in their fright.

With kindly smile he nearer draws;
Begs them to feel no fear.
“What is your name?”
Cries Sarah Jane;
“The ‘Golliwogg’ my dear.”

By 1907, Golliwog was being used adjectivally to refer to native peoples overseas. From the Westminster Gazette of 28 May:

A clever golliwogg dance received the enthusiastic applause it deserved.

James Joyce’s Ulysses of 1922 has this:

Madcap Ciss with her golliwog curls.

And it also has this use of wogger:

She called him wogger.

And

She may have noticed her wogger people were always going away.

By 1929, the clipping to wog was complete. From Frank C. Bowen’s Sea Slang of that year:

Wogs, lower class Babu shipping clerks on the Indian coast.

Use of wog to mean any non-Englishman can also be found; the wogs begin at Calais is a common catchphrase. More recently, wog has even been used to refer to anyone from outside the greater London area.

The word is often mistakenly thought to be an acronym. What the acronym supposedly stands for, however, varies in the telling:

Westernized Oriental Gentleman
Worthy Oriental Gentleman
Wily Oriental Gentleman
Wonderful Oriental Gentleman
Working On Government Service
This last comes with a legend that wogs was stenciled on the shirts of workmen along the Suez Canal. The story and the acronymic origin, however, are false.

LOL I forgot about Gollywog's.

As a kid in England we all had a gollywog doll's and Robison's Jam jar's had a gollywog on them but the true sence was some one from the Colonies who was educated meaning Western Oriental Gentlman but through time's and people's racism the term ended up being a derogatory term.

Nick

Which Battle Ship in WWII were her main gun turret's out weighed a destroyer?

Which WW2 battleship had gun turrets that were heavier than a destroyer?

IJN Yamato & Musashi  9 X 460mm (18.1in )

During the Boer War,in one Battle 3 men were present all 3 in time became the leader's of their repective country's.
What was the Battle and who were the men?

Spr.Earl said:
During the Boer War,in one Battle 3 men were present all 3 in time became the leader's of their repective country's.
What was the Battle and who were the men?

Battle of Spion Kop Jan 22-24, 1900

Louis Botha 1ST PM of South Africa present as a Boer Commander in Chief Leader/ADC

Jan Christiaan Smuts 2nd PM of South Africa present as a Boer Commando Leader

Winston Churchill PM of Great Britain present as a journalist and unofficial ADC

Ghandi was also present as a stretcher bearer

Back