• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

question for Sherwood

Major Sherwood

If I may ask, what is the operational difference between Sergeant ranks in the US armed forces?

I understand that rank structures are generally heirarchial (sp) and to get a rank, time in service, courses, and selection is needed. Given
the Sergeant ranks, what is the operational difference between a Sergeant and a Master Sergeant, or a Sergeant First Class and a First Sergeant as an example?

Here‘s a question, relative to pay in that I am curious which route is best ...

If 2 men, exactly the same skillset and personality were to enlist.. one as a regular enlistee and the other as an officer candidate... would they go equally far? Would the basic recruit have opp for promotion to the same ranks later?

Question being.. do i go back to school, get a degree, and enlist when i am 30 or enlist now at 26/27 .. in the long run, whats the difference?

"If you have any more questions just ask....one last thing Sherwood is my first name, Baker is my last name.

Sherwood"

Oopps! Sorry about that. Thanks for the information.

"Would the basic recruit have opp for promotion to the same ranks later?"

An enlisted man and an officer candidate follow two completely different rank structures. The enlisted from private to chief WO and the officer to Officer cadet to General. If that wasn‘t part of the question and you knew that, sorry for the patronization.

The only way for an NCM to become an officer is to apply for the University Training Plan for NCM‘s (UTPNCM) which is very hard to get in. I know quite a few that applied for over 5 years. There you will be brought down to the rank of Ocdt to start from the beginning of a different rank structure. Of course, there is the battlefield commission, but I wouldn‘t set your sights on that.

For pay, I can only tell you about the office ranks. I currently get paid around 16000 a year while I am in school. Once I graduate and get commissioned I immediately jump to 45000. If I follow the average promotion levels I will be making around 65000 in my 10 year of service. Someone else will probably be able to inform you what is instore for pay of an NCM.

But to the answer the question:

"If 2 men, exactly the same skillset and personality were to enlist.. one as a regular enlistee and the other as an officer candidate... would they go equally far?"

No, a regular cannot become an officer, no matter what his skillset or personality unless he gets permission to apply for it, and gets accepted.

And, as an aside, there are civilian university training programs that you can be accepted into where you attend a civilian university of your choice and get it paid for, aswell as recieve a paycheck during the 4 years. Of course, your summers will be spent training for whatever occupation you choose. Its a good program and everyone I know doing it really enjoys it.

Cheers
RMC
T.D.V.

Back