• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Queen Elizabeth II, 1926-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the official Canadian participation

Prime Minister announces Canadian delegation to the State Funeral of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II​

September 15, 2022
Ottawa, Ontario

The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, today announced that he and Their Excellencies the Right Honourable Mary Simon, Governor General of Canada, and Mr. Whit Fraser will travel to the United Kingdom on September 16, 2022, to attend the State Funeral of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, which will take place in London on September 19, 2022. Prime Minister Trudeau will be accompanied by Sophie Grégoire Trudeau.

Canada will also be represented by former governors general the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean and the Right Honourable David Johnston, as well as former prime ministers the Right Honourable Kim Campbell, the Right Honourable Jean Chrétien, the Right Honourable Paul Martin, and the Right Honourable Stephen Harper. They will be joined by Assembly of First Nations National Chief RoseAnne Archibald, President of Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami Natan Obed, and President of the Métis National Council Cassidy Caron, as well as the Clerk of the Privy Council and Secretary to the Cabinet and former High Commissioner for Canada in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Janice Charette, and current High Commissioner for Canada to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the Honourable Ralph Goodale.

Members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and representatives of regiments of the Canadian Armed Forces will join uniformed personnel from other Commonwealth countries for the service on September 19.

In addition, the Canadian delegation will include members of the Order of Canada Mark Tewksbury, Gregory Charles, and Sandra Oh and Cross of Valour recipient Leslie Arthur Palmer. They will participate in a procession of recipients of national honours as part of the service.

The day of Her Late Majesty’s State Funeral in the United Kingdom will be marked in Canada with a National Day of Mourning and a national commemorative ceremony held at Christ Church Cathedral, the Anglican cathedral in Ottawa. The ceremony will be attended by former prime ministers the Right Honourable Brian Mulroney and the Right Honourable Joe Clark, and all Members of Parliament have been invited. The ceremony will be broadcast live for everyone to watch.

Members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police as well as the following regiments of the Canadian Armed Forces will participate in the service:
  • The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery
  • The Corps of Royal Canadian Engineers
  • The Governor General’s Horse Guards
  • The King’s Own Calgary Regiment
  • Royal 22e Régiment
  • Governor General’s Foot Guards
  • The Canadian Grenadier Guards
  • The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders
  • Le Régiment de la Chaudière
  • The Royal New Brunswick Regiment
  • The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment
  • 48th Highlanders of Canada
  • The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada
  • The Calgary Highlanders
  • Canadian Armed Forces Legal Branch
  • Air Reserve
Why is every regiment not represented by at least one member?

Why is every regiment not represented by at least one member?

According to reporting on CBC, the Canadian military participation will be 100 pers total, 30 each from Army, Navy and Air Force plus 10 from CANSOF. The RCMP will provide a mounted element.

Is that the total parade state for some regiments?
Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

According to reporting on CBC, the Canadian military participation will be 100 pers total, 30 each from Army, Navy and Air Force plus 10 from CANSOF. The RCMP will provide a mounted element.

I think that’s for the parade here in Ottawa. I’m likely wrong though.

Quite the guest list...

Victoria and George Cross heroes honoured with Queen funeral invites: Iraq war veteran who saved his platoon in rocket fire, RAF ace who sunk Nazi U-boat and retired cop who protected Princess Anne from kidnap​

• All living holders of the Victoria Cross and George Cross will be invited to the Queen's funeral
  • Recipients of the VC include an RAF ace who sunk a German U-boat and Iraq War veterans
  • GC holders including ex-police officer who saved Princess Anne from her would-be kidnapper
  • They will join royals and world leaders including US President Joe Biden at Westminster Abbey
  • Russia, Syria, Venezuela and Afghanistan have not been invited to the state funeral

In that article check out Keith Payne.

I count 22 medals. That man shouldn't be paying taxes. Id say he has done his bit.

In that article check out Keith Payne.

I count 22 medals. That man shouldn't be paying taxes. Id say he has done his bit.
Keith Payne sold his original medals to the Aussie War Museum. His reasoning was that he couldn't split his VC amongst his 4 children, so he did the next best thing. If you have a chance, look him up on Google. One of the last living legends from Vietnam.

Parade practice.

. . . There are 28 members of the Australian Defence Force supporting the state funeral.

. . . Sixty-four members of the Canadian Armed Forces will also be involved in the funeral.
The Prince and Princess of Wales were able to meet with troops from the 48th Highlanders of Canada, the Governor General's Foot Guard, the Régiment de la Chaudière, and the Canadian Armed Forces Legal Branch.

. . . There are also 25 members of the New Zealand Defence Force playing a supporting role.

Not really sure how to characterize this. Hope he gets to the front of the queue in time.

Jason Kenney waiting 14 hours in line in London to pay respects to the Queen​

The premier said he was doing briefings and work calls from the line and he would be back in Edmonton on Monday

Premier Jason Kenney tweeted Friday he has flown to London to pay his respects to Queen Elizabeth II.

Kenney shared two photos on social media showing he would be spending at least 14 hours in line to view the late monarch’s coffin.

“I’m in London (entirely at personal expense) to pay respects to Her late Majesty the Queen at the lying in state on behalf of Alberta,” tweeted Kenney. “There’s a profound sense of shared grief and affection for (her majesty) in this huge, diverse gathering of people from around the world.”

Kenney said he was doing briefings and work calls from the line. Kenney’s office confirmed he was in line without any staff.

Reached by phone Friday afternoon while he was in line, Kenney said he expected to reach the front of the queue around 8 a.m. London time.

He said when he was 14, he woke up in the early hours of the morning during a trip to Victoria to make sure he had a spot to see the Queen and Prince Philip. After that, he had promised himself he would be in attendance for the Queen’s funeral.

“I don’t apologize for having been an avid monarchist my whole life and admirer of the Queen,” said Kenney. “I thought it was especially important in my role to represent Alberta, at pure personal expense, and it’s just a very quick 36-hour trip, but for me, it was just necessary. I mean, this is a woman who gave her life in service, in part to Canada. And the least I can do is stand in a queue for 15 hours to say thank you.”

Kenney said the mood in line was “convivial” but was not a festival. He said there was a shared sense of grief but there was also a shared sense of solidarity.

“There’s also friendships being made and people from all around the world who are connecting, sharing stories, and all here for a common purpose making a personal sacrifice,” said Kenney.

The line, being dubbed “The Queue”, has been described as being several kilometres long and was temporarily closed early Friday Morning when it hit capacity. It reopened later in the day. An update from the Department for Digital, Cultural, Media and Sport posted online around noon MST said the current wait was 22 hours. The line at that time ended at Southwark Park, about seven kilometres from the head of the line at Westminster Abbey.

The department has set up a live tracker of the queue that can be viewed on YouTube.

Kenney said he had chaired a cabinet meeting during which ministers officially acknowledged the accession of King Charles before recognizing the Queen’s passing in the legislature. Then, he got on a flight to be in London.

During the special sitting in the legislature, Kenney made an address honouring Queen Elizabeth, who died on Sept. 8 after ruling as Canada’s head of state for over 70 years.

“While her portrait gazes over our proceedings today, as it has done for decades in this place, it is difficult to conjure the words adequately to express the grief that so many of us suffer at her loss,” said Kenney in the legislature. “I must say very personally that her death has hit me harder than I expected. As though I’ve lost a grandmother or a longtime friend.”

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced earlier this week that Monday, the day of the Queen’s funeral, will be a national day of mourning and the federal public service would have a holiday to mark the occasion. Alberta’s provincial government announced it would be hosting a day of mourning but that the day would not be recognized as an official statutory holiday.

Employers and schools in Alberta were encouraged to provide opportunities for employees and students to attend the ceremony in Edmonton or to mark the day on their own.

Kenney said there will be an official memorial service on the steps of Alberta’s legislature and that he plans to be there as long as travel logistics work out as planned.

Parade practice.

I've got people I know in South Africa who are sending emails to me asking about the Canadian troops they've seen on TV.

I've been sending them back information on the SD&Gs, GGFGs and CGGs...

They're even more fascinated when I explain that they're mostly reservists ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back