• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

QOR Airborne Coy & proposed Airborne Battalion

cameron

Inactive
Reaction score
I know it may be a bit early to ask, but does anybody know what will happen to the QOR's Airborne Coy when the Conservatives' proposed new Airborne Battalion is formed?  Will the company become a reserve component within the Airborne Battalion, similar to the TA battalion in the British Army's Parachute Regiment? :cdn: :threat:

Considering that there's been no discussion on this beyond the vague statements during the election, it may be a little premature to speculate.  Why don't we wait and see if it actually happens before we start second guessing organizational changes.

Michael O'Leary said:
before we start second guessing organizational changes.

What...  not speculate?

And ruin our only past time?  ;)

QOR para capacity was "outside" of the CAR when the CAR was still around... no reason it would be any different in the futur.
QORs might provide augmentees at one point of another but..... that would be "it"

Well I hope nothing happens to us, I am trying to get on the fall jump course  :'( But it is the government, if anything WAS to change, it would take 10 years  >:D

Michael O'Leary said:
Considering that there's been no discussion on this beyond the vague statements during the election, it may be a little premature to speculate.  Why don't we wait and see if it actually happens before we start second guessing organizational changes.

Like he said.....

geo said:
QOR para capacity was "outside" of the CAR when the CAR was still around... no reason it would be any different in the futur.
QORs might provide augmentees at one point of another but..... that would be "it"

Didn't the Loyal Edmontons also have a jump company in years past - in the same situation as the QOR?

The Loyal Eddies had a jump coy/plt? I thought the Westies were the only Reserve unit out west to have a jump coy/plt when the CAR was around.

Each area had a Reserva Para Coy.
Pacific - Westies
Western - Loyal Eddies
Central - QOR
East (QC) - R du Sag or R de Chaud (one or the other)...
Atlantic - ?????

After the CAR went down, the frequency of Para courses went down considerably.
Serials were few and far between
Budgets were chopped and Para Courses aren't cheap
end result - units had trouble maintaining a viable sub, sub, sub components...

Not sure, think QOR is the only one to have managed to eek out it's survival.

QOR maintained a jump (not airborne) capability in order to provide assistance to CPC.  No tactical reason or capability requirement was involved in the decision.

geo said:
Each area had a Reserva Para Coy.
Pacific - Westies
Western - Loyal Eddies
Central - QOR
East (QC) - R du Sag or R de Chaud (one or the other)...
Atlantic - ?????

That would be the R de Sag with the Reserve Para Coy.

.... defined as a Coy.... but not fielding such a size.
Also, the Jump capacity is not taken into account in LFQA capabilities.

Thanks for the replies, I found the discussion to be really educational.  I didn't even know that QOR and certain other reserve units had their own separate para capability back when the CAR existed, interesting.  One question though, this is particularly directed at 'Gunner'.  Whats the difference between a jump capability and an airborne capability? :salute: :cdn:

In my opinion, a jump capability is a group of soldiers who can go out for cas para on a regular basis.  An airborne capability is a unit that can contribute an airborne sub-unit or sub-sub-unit to an airborne operation.  The two are quite different.

As for the rebirth of the Airborne Regiment or its reincarnation, I will believe it when I see it!  I suspect that this whole idea came from MP Gallant who surrounded herself with ex-airborne guys who convinced her that the airborne regiment should be brought back.  Now that the Conservatives have been elected, this proposal has again been mentioned with the unit being located in Trenton which I don't think makes any sense.  I see the major challenge would be just finding the troops to man such a unit not to mention the funds.

Time will tell. 

Ed Gagnon
Petawawa 

One question though, this is particularly directed at 'Gunner'.  Whats the difference between a jump capability and an airborne capability?

The three parachute companies inherent in the three light infantry battalions are there to maintain a jump capability within the army, not provide a tactical capability for the army.

An airborne unit (battalion or otherwise) is structured to fight as an independent unit for limited operations.

Yup.... the airborne soldier is a special breed
A shock troop that is deployed to surprise and create havoc in the rear of ennemy lines.
Definitively not a "light fighter" but, due to the inherent limitations of the equipment they can carry, cannot be expected to be roughing things up for any length of time.

They aren't Light infantry (can't stress that enough)

White Wing Training?

Once a person passes the Basic Airborne Course they earn their wings(red maple leaf) if they go into a jump position(like in a Jump Coy) they replace the red maple leaf wings with white maple leaf wings.

geo said:
Yup.... the airborne soldier is a special breed
A shock troop that is deployed to surprise and create havoc in the rear of ennemy lines.
Definitively not a "light fighter" but, due to the inherent limitations of the equipment they can carry, cannot be expected to be roughing things up for any length of time.
They aren't Light infantry (can't stress that enough)
And, apparently, if they are surrounded, that's how they best perform
(Sorry, "Band of Brothers" on my mind)
Cheers

vonGarvin said:
And, apparently, if they are surrounded, that's how they best perform
(Sorry, "Band of Brothers" on my mind)
Cheers

Tell that to the survivors of Arnhem...all twenty percent of them.  ::)

Michael Dorosh said:
Tell that to the survivors of Arnhem...all twenty percent of them.  ::)
Hey.  No disprespect intended.
Peace

Back