• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pte Josh Klukie, 1RCR - 29 Sept 06

"The soldier above all prays for peace for it is the soldier that must bare the deepest wounds and scars of the war." - General Douglas Mc Arthur
              :cdn:

RIP and condolences to the family and friends.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead.
Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch, be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

May you rest in peace :cdn: :salute: :cdn:

Sorry again to hear of this sad news. Again my thoughts are of his family and friends.

The reality of war again comes home to :cdn: Canada :cdn: .

Wes

Some of the latest....

Canadian soldier killed by land mine in Afghanistan:  Hillier acknowledges Taliban resurgence, promises to give troops whatever they need
Graeme Green, Globe & Mail, 30 Sept 06
Permalink - http://milnewstbay.pbwiki.com/29894

A Canadian soldier died in a huge land-mine explosion yesterday, hours after Canada's top military commander arrived in Kandahar with a grim assessment of the situation in southern Afghanistan.  The insurgency is rising, the pace of reconstruction is frustrating and the military needs new tactics to combat the Taliban, General Rick Hillier said, promising to give his troops whatever they need to overcome their opponents.  The insurgents' tenacity was illustrated with yesterday's attack.  Whoever planted the bomb appears to have sneaked into a cluster of villages known as Pashmul, roughly 15 kilometres southwest of Kandahar city, an area the Canadians had carefully cleared of insurgents in a massive operation more than two weeks ago.  The troops had crashed into Pashmul with bulldozers, making new roads to avoid land mines on the old routes. A small patrol of soldiers was walking along one of these makeshift roads around 1 p.m. when one of them stepped on a pressure plate, a military commander said, setting off a blast with the force of an anti-tank mine.  "This was more than an anti-personnel mine," said Colonel Fred Lewis, deputy commander of the Canadian contingent.  The dead soldier's name, age and hometown were not released. Another suffered minor injuries.  This brings the number of Canadian personnel killed to 38, including a diplomat. More than half of those deaths happened in the past three months . . . .  Leopard tanks will start arriving next week to support the Canadians in case they encounter more Taliban trenches, Gen. Hillier said, and a company of soldiers is on its way to support Canada's Provincial Reconstruction Team. The PRT commander has said he's hopeful that the extra troops will give some badly needed momentum to the slow-paced development effort.

Death on patrol:  Soldier a victim of roadside booby trap
Canadian Press, via Edmonton Sun online, 30 Sept 06
http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/World/2006/09/30/1924323-sun.html

A young private on a foot patrol died yesterday when he stepped on an insurgent's explosive booby trap, adding to the Canadian military's biggest monthly death toll in decades. The soldier from the First Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment, based in Petawawa, Ont., died around 1 p.m. (local time, 0430 EDT) when he stepped on the bomb in the Panjwaii district west of Kandahar city. The explosive was big enough to be an anti-tank mine, an official said. The soldier's identity was withheld at the request of his family. His remains were taken by helicopter to Kandahar Airfield, the main base for coalition forces in southern Afghanistan. He is the 10th Canadian soldier to die in Afghanistan this month - and the 37th since 2002 . . .

Afghanistan bomb kills Canadian soldier
Jason Staziuso, Associated Press, via Bradenton Herald, 30 Sept 06
http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/local/15642817.htm

A Canadian soldier was killed Friday in an explosion in southern Afghanistan, while an insurgent attack on a police checkpoint left three dead, officials said.  A Colombian aid worker and two Afghan nationals were also released, nearly three weeks after they were kidnapped by gunmen west of Kabul, a police official said.  The soldier, who was not immediately identified, was killed in southern Kandahar province when he stepped on a roadside bomb while conducting a patrol, said Lt. Carole Brown, a spokeswoman for the Canadian Forces in Ottawa. No other soldiers or civilians were wounded.  The explosion comes near the end of Canada's deadliest month in Afghanistan, with 10 soldiers killed. In all, 37 Canadian soldiers and one diplomat have died in the country since 2002 . . . .

Canadian soldier killed by blast in Afghanistan
Last Updated: Friday, September 29, 2006 | 1:39 PM ET
CBC News

A soldier from an Ontario-based regiment was killed Friday by an explosive device while on foot patrol west of Kandahar.

The member of the 1st Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment, which is based at CFB Petawawa in northeastern Ontario, died after triggering an explosive device on a road in Afghanistan's Panjwaii district around 1 p.m. local time.

Military officials have not released his name, hometown or age. His remains were flown to Kandahar airfield.

The military said at least one other soldier was slightly injured in the incident.

Col. Fred Lewis said the soldier was on patrol on a combat road created by a bulldozer for Operation Medusa, the large-scale offensive aimed at driving Taliban fighters from their strongholds in southern Afghanistan.

He said an improvised explosive device (IED) or a landmine was planted in the road and one of the soldiers set it off.

"The use of IEDs by insurgents indicates their callous lack of regard for people in the region," Lewis said.

"It could have just as easily been a bunch of children playing in the area."

Militants frequently use IEDs, or homemade bombs, to target foreign soldiers on patrol.

Lewis said it appeared unlikely the device had been set off by remote control.

The news comes the same day funerals were scheduled for three of four Canadian soldiers killed earlier this month. They died when a suicide bomber on a bicycle detonated a device near the Canadians, who were on foot patrol.

Speaking from Kabul, NATO spokesman Mark Laity told CBC Newsworld soldiers know it is dangerous to get out of the armoured vehicles, but believe it is necessary if they want to win the "hearts and minds" of Afghans.

"These are soldiers. They understand they have to take these risks," he said.

More than 2,000 Canadians are serving in Afghanistan's volatile southern region. With the latest death, 37 Canadian soldiers and one diplomat have died since the mission started four years ago.

My deepest sympathies and condolensces to his family and friends, RIP  :salute: :cdn:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2006/09/29/1918107-cp.html

TORONTO (CP) - Canadian military officials have released the identity of the latest Canadian soldier to die in Afghanistan.

Pte. Josh Klukie was on foot patrol yesterday when he stepped on an insurgent's explosive booby trap in the Panjwaii district west of Kandahar City.

Klukie was a member of First Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment, based in Petawawa, Ont.

A military official said Friday the explosive was big enough to be an anti-tank mine.

Klukie is the 10th Canadian soldier to die in Afghanistan in September, and the 37th since 2002. 

Kulk's was damn fine soldier, spectacular person, We did our TCCC together and I had the pleasure of leading him as his section commander I could not have asked for a better section member or a better friend.

Klukie I will miss you.

RIP brother

Canadian military officials released on Saturday the identity of a soldier from Thunder Bay, Ont., who was killed while on foot patrol west of Kandahar.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2006/09/29/soldier-afghanistan.html

Another young soldier from Thunder Bay...RIP and condolences to the family. I am currently teaching WWI to my Gr.10 history classes and I constantly remind them that war is real and nothing like they see in Hollywood. Pte. Klukie's death highlights the human costs of war...unfortunately freedom has its price.  :salute:

*edited for grammar

Back