• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PT prep question

Arclite

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm leaving for BMQ on the 20th and I've been taking Muay thai kickboxing for 6 months. Might be obvious to you but i just want a second opinion if this is enough to prepare me for BMQ physical training.

3 3min rounds of skipping, 20 pushups and sit ups at the end of each round.
lots of punching, kicking, knees, and elbow combos on the pads and heavy bag
at least 10 mins of sparring and the end of each class

Just my personal opinion, but there seems to be no substitute for good ol' running.  Otherwise, the push-ups and sit-ups will help for sure.  (Presumably you've passed the PT test.)

No expert here but,

best practice for a movement is the movement itself.

As awesome as tai boxing is for cardio (and confidence), the best way to improve your running, push ups and chin ups, is to do just that.

as far as I can tell anyway.

Muay Thai will certainly help, but I suggest you work on the movements you will be performing the most in Basic: running, push-ups, sit-ups, & chin-ups. As you probably know, you have a perform amovement many times for it to become "muscle memory". Learn to do these movements correctly, and do them often. It will make things easier on you.
Luck.

Boxing is considered to be 75%-80% anaerobic and the rest is aerobic. Boxing is probably the best sport for conditioning, power, endurance and mental focus. It is also a great stress reducer. If you want to learn how to fight in a short time then do boxing, forget about martial arts. While you leard how to breathe in and breathe out, boxers already fight and only those who have power, skill and endurance will dominate over his opponent. I was boxing for 4 years so I know what I'm talking about. However I got injured so I can forget about boxing.

newrecruit said:
Boxing is considered to be 75%-80% anaerobic and the rest is aerobic. Boxing is probably the best sport for conditioning, power, endurance and mental focus. It is also a great stress reducer. If you want to learn how to fight in a short time then do boxing, forget about martial arts. While you leard how to breathe in and breathe out, boxers already fight and only those who have power, skill and endurance will dominate over his opponent. I was boxing for 4 years so I know what I'm talking about. However I got injured so I can forget about boxing.

Tell that to the mixed martial artists. While your leaning on your opponent , their opponent is sitting on top of them squeezing their chest with their thighs while raining down elbows.

Arclite:  Your martial arts training will certainly help out.  Keep this in mind:  You'll be doing PT with your course staff every morning.  You'll be doing PT with the civilain PARE staff as well.  Then there's all the marching and drill.  Depending what floor you will be living on at the Mega, you'll be going up and down several flights of stairs many times during the day.

By the sounds of it you shouldn't have any problems, just don't slack off from now until then.

Good luck.  And whenever you are done come back here and provide us with some feedback!

and the "My martial art can beat up your martial art" stuff can stop right...about...now.

As has been stated on here often, by those who've trained for years: the variables are so great that any comparison of styles is absurd. It comes down to the individual fighters, on an individual day.

Back