• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PT at BMQ

Alpheus

Inactive
Reaction score
How does morning PT at basic training break down  What do you do during a typical week?  Do you go running 2-3 times and hit the gym the rest?  Just wondering because I want to modify my routine before I get there.

Thanks.

Probably a run, a ruck march, circuit training, the gym, maybe a sport here and there.

It mainly depends on your staff.

Personally, I currently have 2 Vandoo's and when they do the PT, we run 6.4km + chin ups + push ups + sit ups + dips. (they try to make us vomit) On top of it, one is an Airborne and he doesn't walk when he's outside or at Farnham, so we run to drill or other buildings... and we're going to run at Farnham  :threat:

When cooks do it, it's usually a small run, some push ups and sit ups.

As for navy staff, usually they are comparable to Vandoo's, but they vary the exercises (flabber kicks, squats, push ups, chin ups, dips, jumping jacks, and more).

Overall, PT is not a muscular training session, you can get fitter if you're fat (like me). PT are to work on team work, making sure everyone stick together and finish together rather than making small groups and sprinting to the end. The PSP classes are there for that, you get several gym classes of 80-120mins with upper, lower and overall programs. Their circuits is a lot of fun and very demanding for all types of recruits, this is where you push yourself hard.

As for sports, most staff won't do them to not injure their recruits.. I've met people at the MIR who got twisted ankles playing soccer on week-ends, or someone jumped on their ankle during basketball, etc...

You do 3 ruck marches then your 13km at Farnham.

freakerz said:
we run 6.4km + chin ups + push ups + sit ups + dips. (they try to make us vomit)

Everyday?  Damn, I guess I'll have to beef up my running schedule.

Not every day, on average (up to week 8) you do 3 PT per week.

I forgot to mention the pool classes, if you pass the swim test, those classes kick your ass too... the PSP classes are where you'll get fitter.

I was actually also curious about this as I have shin splints and was wondering if they did running everyday. Mind you I'm going for the Reserve's so I assume its a bit different.

freakerz said:
Not every day, on average (up to week 8 ) you do 3 PT per week.

Phew.  And after week 8, I assume you'd do less since you're at Farnham and in the field, right?

Not really. Though each courses instructors have some say in our the course is ran for that platoon. For example, when I went through during our time in Farnham we ruck marched everywhere we went. I had friends go through after me and none of them ruck marched. I would say there is less PT but it doesn't mean your not still physically working hard and it doesn't mean there is going to be no PT.

Alpheus said:
Phew.  And after week 8, I assume you'd do less since you're at Farnham and in the field, right?

ladies and gents, i give you......our future leaders.

God help us all.

CDN Aviator said:

God help us all.

Hey come on, he's just nervous haha. Then again who wouldn't be for BMQ.

Neolithium said:
Those lovable people who VR 3 days in?  :tsktsk:

I wouldn't worry about that anymore. When I swore in on Sept 8th, they made us sign something that says we are not allowed to VR until after the first 5 weeks.

CDN Aviator said:

God help us all.

Ha Ha.  I just think making new recruits run 6.4km + chin ups + push ups + sit ups + dips 5 times a week might be a tad much.
Or is there something wrong with trying to get some idea of what I'll be doing at BMQ?

Alpheus said:
Ha Ha.  I just think making new recruits run 6.4km + chin ups + push ups + sit ups + dips 5 times a week might be a tad much.

Well, at this point, CFLRS isnt worrying about what you think.

Alpheus said:
Or is there something wrong with trying to get some idea of what I'll be doing at BMQ?
You get used to it. You do push ups or go for runs between classes too so you just get sore and stronger. Just make sure you stretch on your own time and you'll be fine.[

Lavitz said:
I wouldn't worry about that anymore. When I swore in on Sept 8th, they made us sign something that says we are not allowed to VR until after the first 5 weeks.

Ya because it is MUCH better to spend 4 weeks and 2 days (weekends not included) with someone who isn't motivated, bitches and moans the whole time and gets everyone else in crap.

It is also really fun for course staff to administer and babysit the non-hackers too. 

Eye In The Sky said:
Ya because it is MUCH better to spend 4 weeks and 2 days (weekends not included) with someone who isn't motivated, bitches and moans the whole time and gets everyone else in crap.

It is also really fun for course staff to administer and babysit the non-hackers too.
I'm curious to see how many individuals would stay after that though- undoubtedly some quit early because of the culture shock of moving to a disciplined military life.  Instead this might provide enough time for them to realize it's not that bad (For lack of a better term), and give them a second wind and new determination to graduate BMQ.  This is my theory anyway, as for how many actually do get a new lease on military life...no way I can assume anything with a degree of certainty.

Back