• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PSAC Resume

Tech

Inactive
Reaction score
Will soon retire from the military after 20 years, now I'm looking at a temp position within the military as a civilian. Have to hang up the uniform as my PCat will force me to retire. Just wondering if anyone will be kind enough to post a resume template I could use. Our wing does offer a course but I cannot get in before this position is posted. Many thanks, and keep up the great work all.

Tech said:
Will soon retire from the military after 20 years, now I'm looking at a temp position within the military as a civilian. Have to hang up the uniform as my PCat will force me to retire. Just wondering if anyone will be kind enough to post a resume template I could use. Our wing does offer a course but I cannot get in before this position is posted. Many thanks, and keep up the great work all.

Try this website, they've got a whole load of resume templates.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=resume+template

Thank you very much for the link. I will give it a shot and let you know how I make out.

Try the resume wizard on MS word.  It seems pretty checked out to me.  If you are out on a Pcat did you register at the CHRO under that program?

Thanks Bern....I will try it. i do have most of the meat written out so I just have to "form" it. I haven't registered yet but I will. The position I am applying for ends this Sunday and the course isn't until a month or so from now.

I have 5 years in the PS now; I'm currently with DND.

I caution people against throwing a "one size fits all" resume into a PS advertisement. Unless you hit some key words, you aren't going to be screened in. Doesn't matter how qualified you are, if it doesn't line up with their criteria, it may not make it past stage 1.

You definitely need a starting point such as those examples on the net, but you should adjust your cover letter for each advertisement to make sure you cover at least the "experience" section of the advertisement. If it says, "Experience in writing policies for Treasury Board" then you might say, "I have experience in writing policies for Treasury Board while I...." or " While I do not have experience in writing policies for Treasury Board, I do have experience writing policies for..." . Allright - not the best example, but I think the concept is there.

Finally, when you tailor your cover letter, make sure they don't have to spend a lot of time searching for the experience in your resume that you mentioned in your cover letter. They receive a lot of applications and they are looking for reasons to screen you out. (or so I am convinced.)

As for the Asset and Knowledge sections, those are another story. Those are more for the interview and testing, but you definitely might want to make sure you have those covered.

Good luck! I've screened myself into several competitions using these techniques. I hope that helps.

Moody,

Go talk to your nearest PSO  or PSEL officer. They have training and courses on how to civilianize your resume. You probably have a range of skills that need to be translated into terms that non-military people need to understand for you to land the job you are after.

Thanks...those are very good comments. I will implement them into my current resume. Very much appreciated.

Back