• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Proud to Serve

highlandranger

Inactive
Reaction score
Shortly after Remembrance Day 2005, I re-enlisted into the army with the Canadian Rangers. I served previously in the Seaforth Highlanders in Vancouver for a while. I will be given a rifle on training exercises ( unfortunately it is an Enfield). I am teased from family members in the forces that the Rangers are glorified boy scouts and are not real soldiers. The armed forces portrays us as the military's eyes and ears on the coast and in the northern rural communities. Should I have to fire a shot to defend my home and keep our country free I will do so with pride.

Okay.  Good for you.  However, what exactly is your point with this post?  ???

highlandranger said:
My point being that other CF members may see the Rangers as not needed in the CF.

I have yet to see that attitude in the CF. Those that have worked with Rangers know first hand their value, those that have not don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Highlandranger....

After reading your post, I'm going to say your using allot of band width to say nothing.....

were glad you feel the way you do and you exuberance for the boards is noted, but maybe you could start less topics and poll's and just read and learn from the ones we already have going.

Have a good one

highlandranger said:
My point being that other CF members may see the Rangers as not needed in the CF.

Actually, we've been getting a good brefing on the rangers here:

What do you really know about the Canadian Rangers?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/39261.0.html

Perhaps you could think about offering real info, rather than simply stating that you perceive a lack of interest among others.  Convince us to be interested.

First, I'm new to this game, so please excuse me for posting so much crap. I was in the militia while living in Vancouver. I moved to rural BC four years ago, and found out lately that I could serve my country in the Canadian Rangers. The Rangers are reserve CF members like the militia, except we wear a red sweatshirt with old style combats for our S1's. We train with the British Enfield Rifle, and from time to time are invited by the army reserves to act as the enemy or towns people in schemes. My statement was that some people I know feel the Rangers are just boy scout sponsored by the DND. We can't go do overseas missions. We are the first line of defence in our small communities should a threat come to harm Canada.

The Canadian Rangers are in every part of the country except Saskatchewan and parts of the Eastern seaboard. I hope I have clarified myself a little further.

My statement was that some people I know feel the Rangers are just boy scout sponsored by the DND.

Not that I agree with the following, but, do you wanna know why?

we wear a red sweatshirt with old style combats for our S1's. We train with the British Enfield Rifle

That's why.

People seem to only associate commonplace military uniforms to the military. A red sweatshirt isnt something that cries out "military". Face it, people see cadets parading in uniforms and berets or wedges or whateveritistheseacadetswear, along with THEIR "Enfields"... then they see a Canadian Ranger in a red sweatshirt, old style combats, and an old british enfield. To the uninformed outsider, the cadet looks like more of a part of the military than the ranger, and to top it all off, the cadets are more popular than Canadian Rangers. To end that stereotype, you have to change your appearance, and raise your popularity, thats simply all there is to it, IMO. You're not going to change the stereotype by coming to an army website and telling us about yourself. Chances are, most of the members here already know.

You say you're the first line of defence... I'm curious, what is the extent of the training provided to a Canadian Ranger?

Forgotten_Hero said:
Not that I agree with the following, but, do you wanna know why?

That's why.

People seem to only associate commonplace military uniforms to the military. A red sweatshirt isnt something that cries out "military". Face it, people see cadets parading in uniforms and berets or wedges or whateveritistheseacadetswear, along with THEIR "Enfields"... then they see a Canadian Ranger in a red sweatshirt, old style combats, and an old british enfield. To the uninformed outsider, the cadet looks like more of a part of the military than the ranger, and to top it all off, the cadets are more popular than Canadian Rangers. To end that stereotype, you have to change your appearance, and raise your popularity, thats simply all there is to it, IMO. You're not going to change the stereotype by coming to an army website and telling us about yourself. Chances are, most of the members here already know.

You say you're the first line of defence... I'm curious, what is the extent of the training provided to a Canadian Ranger?

I quite like the Ranger uniform. I don't think it's a matter that they should change their uniform so much as the public should be less ignorant. I forget the exact saying but it goes something to the effect that the soldiers that look the prettiest are usually the least effective. (Although this statement relies on the same fallacious basis for its judgement: appearance)

I never found anything wrong with the way rangers look.

You see a red sweatshirt and you know it's a ranger.  Why have cadpart when you're operating in the arctic?  When they go out in the cold they wear a jacket don't they?

and to top it all off, the cadets are more popular than Canadian Rangers.

More popular how?  Go spend a week or two in the arctic and tell me who is more popular to have along with you on the trip.

As for the rifles they use. Try shooting large game with a C7.

For the people who just feel the rangers are boyscouts, they obviously have their head up their ass so why even care about their opinion?
I know people who think all the violence in the world would stop if we just stoped having soldiers.  Great logic.

I don't think it's a matter that they should change their uniform so much as the public should be less ignorant.

I agree... I never said they need to change their uniform... but the public is ignorant on the subject, and because of that ignorance, unless they see a guy in cadpat or any other popular military uniform, they wont think about equating the ranger to the military.

I forget the exact saying but it goes something to the effect that the soldiers that look the prettiest are usually the least effective.

Would you be refering to Murphee's laws? "No combat ready unit ever passed inspection. No inspection ready unit ever passed combat."?

Really don't think the uniform makes the man

It doesnt, but the public often makes their first impressions off of appearance.

You see a red sweatshirt and you know it's a ranger.

Unfortunately, the majority of the public wouldnt know that.

Why have cadpart when you're operating in the arctic?  When they go out in the cold they wear a jacket don't they?

Im not saying they should wear cadpat or otherwise change their uniform, I'm simply saying that since their uniforms arent commonplace military uniforms, a person that's ignorant on the whole subject is not as likely to affiliate a ranger with the military.

More popular how?  Go spend a week or two in the arctic and tell me who is more popular to have along with you on the trip.

Well, thats the problem now... the majority of Canada's population lives in the south, along the border.

As for the rifles they use. Try shooting large game with a C7.

Even so, you've got to admit that if the public saw a ranger with a C7, they'd be more likely to figure out that he's part of the military, no? This is what I'm talking about... the majority of the public doesnt know about the rangers, and because they dont have the equipment the public is used to seeing soldiers with, they dont affilate the rangers with the military.

I'd like to know, though, why does it concern you so much that the public doesnt affilate rangers with the military? Surelyl the people in the communities with a large ranger presence do understand that they're military... but other than that, you're just opening up yourselves for being called "Baby killers" during the next anti-military rallies...

Who cares what the public thinks?

I've been asked (more than once) by members of the public why my hat was "purple" or green and not blue. When I tried to explain, one guy actually told me that I should get a blue one, so everyone would know that I was a "peacekeeper"  ::)

The point is, that the Canadian public is not well educated in terms of our military, and for the most part, does not want to be.

Thus, their perception of a fine group of volunteers who do excellent work in the northern and remote areas is of little concern. People that know who the Rangers are, know who they are and what they can do, so what if joe civvie can't figure it out? The whole point of the red sweater, caps and touques, if I recall correctly, is to encourage use of them. If the rangers were to be issued something impractical, like combats, which are wholly unsuited to the arctic, they would sit in their closets, unused. I lived up north for years, and a hoodie and hat always come in handy!

The criteria used for selecting weapons for different units is somewhat complicated, but the public's perception of how "military" it looks is really not a consideration. C7s lack stopping power for animals (or people), the furniture breaks in severe cold and 30 round mags are not generally required for hunting. I've never met a Ranger who did'nt like his Lee Enfield, and since the ones up north carry them more often than us "real" sodiers here in the south carry our C7/8s, I'll go with their assessments!

Finally, we need the Rangers more than they need us. Rifle companies from the south would have near insurmountable difficulties if they had to do battle with the elements and the enemy on sovops, without Ranger instruction.

The Rangers are a truly indispensible organisation. If you don't like their uniforms or weapons, too bad, they work well, and should not be changed so "the optics" can be improved for the 2% of Canadians who will ever see one.

The criteria used for selecting weapons for different units is somewhat complicated, but the public's perception of how "military" it looks is really not a consideration.

I hope you ppl dont think that I actually advocated selecting weapons and uniforms based on how much the public would associate it with "military"...

I was interested to learn the role of the Rangers on the west coast.  I, too, live out west and as a retired navy type and a proud patriot, I would welcome re-enlisting as the "eyes and ears" of our armed forces.  Having an Enfield issued is more symbolic of the trust and respect given to members of this proud division.  Thanks for starting this thread , I am learning something new everyday in this forum.

I have yet to see that attitude in the CF. Those that have worked with Rangers know first hand their value, those that have not don't have a clue what they are talking about.

I have some buddies who got back from Polar Strike.  They had nothing but good things to say about rangers.  highlandranger, don't worry about the CF's opinion on Rangers.  To be quite honest, I have heard more reg force guys talk better about Rangers than they do the Reserves.

Personally I've worked with the Ranges a few privileged times.

I say privileged because their work ethic was above reproach.

Their skill set was absolutely amazing and effective...and that's what counts at the end of the day IMHO.

They work in the bush, who cares how they dress.....it's functional and sanctioned by the CF, therefore no one should have a problem with it.

They provide a presence in the north all year round...with us "rookies" going up from time to time.

Yes, I said it. We are rookies when it comes to deploying above the circle on SOVOPs. It's one of the roles we don't train enough on and when the time is made, usually it doesn't last long enough to shake out the cob webs.

Once a year for a week? Not long enough in my books. Mind you with deployments being what they are right now that's all a front line unit can afford to spend time on.

Keep up the good work...and don't worry what us rookies think.    ;)

Regards

Back