• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Proud Member of the Evil Empire

• Thread starter MAJOR_Baker
  • Start date
Perhaps Nostradamus' great third war, won't happen in the middle east....dah dah daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

I find it hard to believe 40% used the word "evil" unless it was in a loaded question. As in
"so how evil do you find the United States?
[a] very evil
somewhat evil
[c]a little evil
[d]nice
When I was between 14 and 18 I would have responded [a] just because in my adolescent pea-brain that would have been the most anti-authorition thing to say.  ...and guess what Major, kids are still kids ::)

That's true to,
A survey of teenagers....is still a survey of teenagers!

I would take the poll with a grain of salt. Teens these days wouldn't know evil if it jumped up and bit them. They are just spouting off what they've heard elsewhere. They still have no problem buying/listening to/watching American TV, magazines, music, video games or movies

Basides, who commissioned the poll, what was the sample size and what questions were asked.

As a rule of thumb, one should not believe anything that someone who uses words like "evil" says.

There is no such thing as "evil" or "good" in that sense.

This survey is stupid. The teen's immaturity is shown in the fact they use the word "evil" to describe the yanks. They should have asked the kids why they would call the usa "evil", then the survey may have some merit. Right now, it doesn't do anything besides make the yanks hate us even more.

I'd  bet that around 40% of USA teenagers would respond the same way, for the same reasons.  Why?  Because most kids are retarded. 

Take a poll to see if a specific demographic thinks that a vague generalization is true, and you'll get results like this.

(Pre-schoolers, are dogs scary? Students, are teachers biased? Celebrities, is the press mean? etc etc)

S_Baker said:
The problem I see, is that "children, young adults or whatever you call them, are affected by their parents, media, and attitudes around them, it is only natural.

Looks like you're affected too...! Don't let one little poll rub you the wrong way. :)

What i don't like is how much the word anti-Americanism is thrown around.

Thats like saying don't like rap? well your a racist.
Thats bullshit. I don't like rap and I don't like some of the tactics Israel uses. Am i anti-Semitic?
To me that article screams if you aren't with us your against us.

Teen-agers are influenced by their parents, maybe (because teen-agers always listen to their parents and never do the opposite of what they say right?), the media, Michael Moore movies and their own opinion.  They see the current actions of the US as evil thats all. It doesn't mean their anti-American.
They don't agree with it and like a certain world leader, throw around the world evil.  It's just like when survivor came out. They kept talking about strategy this and strategy that. Pretty soon everyone on every reality TV show and many other places were talking about their "strategy".
Teen-agers hear the world evil on the news every single day so it's only natural they will use it, correctly or not.

Your poll of a few months ago is a fine example of why we should ignore this type of thing.  :p

If you don't see 666 on the call display - its not evil   :eek:

Hahah, of course you can!

You'll just "disappear" is all... ;)

All kidding aside, you can disagree with me and vice versa, and that won't affect our "professional relationship" here...

Post deleted by myself...link went to some bad places.   :rage:

The young people in China are looking to the Americans as the future. Many are casting aside old traditions and taking up the Western ideas. This in my opinion is not very good, as one should retain the culture. But I like the idea of China becoming more open and free like America. I don't have a poll, but I think that you would find that most young Chinese people want to go to America.

I am much smarter, and I want go to Canada.  :)

LeeYang said:
The young people in China are looking to the Americans as the future. Many are casting aside old traditions and taking up the Western ideas. This in my opinion is not very good, as one should retain the culture. But I like the idea of China becoming more open and free like America. I don't have a poll, but I think that you would find that most young Chinese people want to go to America.

I am much smarter, and I want go to Canada.  :)

Thats sad to hear. China is a beautiful country with a beautiful culture and beautiful people. Young Chinese should be proud of their extremely long history and wonderful heritage.

It is only natural for humans to want what is different and to embrace what is different. After all this is what brings us advances and progresses us as a species. But be cautious not to forget who you are, or neglect your ancestors. Finding new and better ways of doing things, but remember--not all things that are different are better.

Japan and South Korea are two good examples of making the best of a bad situation. The bad situation would be american cultural imperialism. As you no doubt know, they have a lot of western influence, however they have managed to keep their soul and stay distinct. Canada has a more negative example of cultural imperialism. We have had so much americanness imposed upon us that our culture is based around acting like americans or trying hard not to act like americans. We are a very young nation compared to places like China which have several thousand years of history defining them, and Canadians are only now struggling to form a uniquely Canadian identity, that will take many years to completely flesh out.

I forget what my point was..................oh yeah, China's cool. :salute:

I don't see anything wrong with being proud of your herritage while wanting to change. 

LeeYang if you were to come to Canada im 100% sure you could find communities (ie little china town's) that are excellent examples of people being proud and honouring their past while having an open mind to new ideas/ways of living.

I don't see anything wrong with being proud of your herritage while wanting to change.

LeeYang if you were to come to Canada im 100% sure you could find communities (ie little china town's) that are excellent examples of people being proud and honouring their past while having an open mind to new ideas/ways of living.

I lived in Halifax for a year while I study English. I did see many Chinese people there and they do very well. The changes I speak of are like having a Western wedding instead of a traditional wedding. I think one must be guarded to preserve their cultures. In Canada you have a hard time being so close to the US, but you seem to do pretty good. I went to a Canadian-Scottish stone toss and log toss, where there was much beer.  ;D  That is not something quite good to see people know where they come from.

Like someone else said, a survey by teenagers is a survey by teenagers.

Probably the same teenagers who could not name four things Canadian without repeating the word Gretsky twice. They devoure american media, their idols are american, their music is american, their style of dress is american influenced and they have the cojones to equate americans with the word evil. Blech!

S_Baker said:
The problem I see, is that "children, young adults or whatever you call them, are affected by their parents, media, and attitudes around them, it is only natural.   :blotto: I thought the CDN govenment respected all cultures ('cause aren't they all equal?) :blotto:
Well, that s not always true! My mom and her boyfriend are seperatists, my dad's a Tory and I'm a left leaning liberal. (Even though I do encourage a better National Defence for Canada) :cdn:

Back