• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pronouncing Carbine?

jonsey

Inactive
Reaction score
Ok, to me, it looks like it's pronounced carbine (rhymes with nine or fine). However, I was watching a Discovery Channel special on the US Navy SEALs, and one of the SEALs (didn't notice name/rank) kept pronouncing it  like car-been (or car-bean).

So, I would like to know so I don't sound like an idiot (well, a bigger one than I would like) if I ever talk to people about rifles and stuff.

I would love to help you but the word in not in my dictionnary..  You can take yours and look it up..  there's the phonetic of the word..  :D

The Concise Oxford, probably the most common dictionary found in CF offices, gives the pronunciation with a long "i" (phonetically "car-been").

Dictionary.com offers both pronunciations as correct, so either form is acceptable.

Ok, so it's a poh-tay-toh, poh-tah-toh thing.  Good to know. Thanks.

Jonsey said:
Ok, so it's a poh-tay-toh, poh-tah-toh thing.  Good to know. Thanks.

But honestly, have you ever in your life actually heard someone say poh-tah-toe or to-mah-toe? 

Michael Dorosh said:
But honestly, have you ever in your life actually heard someone say poh-tah-toe or to-mah-toe?
ahem!!!  :mad:  I prounounce poh-tah-toe!!!  maybe because of my french language taking over, but that's the way I say it!!  :p

Cheers

Thats the US way of pronouncing the word carbine. Also the word ration as in ration pack, we say 'rashion' while the US say 'rayshun' Same as saddist, they say 'saidist', we say 'sadist'.

There is tonnes of words said diferently between them and us. For the word semi, as in semi automatic, we say 'semee', they say 'semeye'.

Cheers,

Wes

we're all speaking english right?

;D
No wonder I kant spelll
"Car-bean" is how we say it here in Orygun (Oregon)  but it does soumds like "Car-b9" too wow how I'm confused...
maybe just call it a short-arm.... opps not not that either   :blotto:

Also along the lines of pronouncing...Liberal or Lieberal. Sorry, I had to throw that in there =P. If it was out of line, then PT for me.

Back