• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

pregnancy test

elizabeth

Inactive
Reaction score
I had to have a pregnancy test done during my medical for the reserves and thought it was weird at the time. I thought that they made every female do one but it turns out that one girl who just enlisted did not have to have one. I was just wondering if anyone knew about this discrepancy. Thanks.

isn't that against the law? it is akin to asking the question 'are you pregnant' or similar questions in a job interview.

Is it illegal? I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

Why would it be? Physical health and fitness are critical elements of military service. Pregnancy would have a very definite (albeit temporary) impact on a candidate's fitness. When scheduling a candidate for a basic training course, you want to be sure they're fit for the course. Pregnancy wouldn't keep you out (and shouldn't!) but might very well mean a delay before training.

Furthermore, pregnancy implies an impending change in family status, and family health is also VERY important. These are all things the chain of command will need to know in order to be able to care for its soldiers.

I'm surprised they didn't test the other girl, elizabeth - that's what's weird (unless, again, it IS against the law).

I suppose it could be factor in determining if you have diabetes or something...if your blood sugar was abnormally low, then they might be looking for an explanation, which could be covered by pregnancy...it is possible to have temporary "medical conditions" only when pregnant.

It is not like the pregnancy test would affect my outcome on course becuase I did not leave for bmq and sq until July and I enlisted in Feb and the test was sometimes before Christmas. I think I would have had enough time to get pregnant and give birth before course! I just thing it was an extremely weird thing for me to have to do but was okay with it because I am sure there is some reason and I also assumed that every female was tested. It was just really odd.

elizabeth, all the females were tested in Cornwallis at the beginning of basic training.  Not sure if they do it anymore in St. Jean but I think its just a standard test for females.  As for why the other female wasn't tested, who knows?

Don't they take blood and urine samples from you for your medical?  Isn't that when they check everything out?  I don't think they would have to tell you if you are having a pregnancy test if they already collected samples from you for testing.  I know when I did my medical they took blood and a urine sample.  Maybe things have changed.

Well, I had a urine sample taken.....no blood test...and no pregnancy test.  I spent a few years working in recruiting, and as far as I know, blood tests and pregnancy tests are not something that is regularly done at a recruiting centre. 

I've never had a mandatory pregnancy test done to me, and I can't see a reason for them to perform one. I think forcing one upon you is pretty discriminatory, and I would voice a serious objection if anyone tried it on me. From a purely medical perspective, you can refuse any medical procedure that you don't want to undertake, and I find it hard to believe the CF would have grounds to force you to take it.

As I said, it was done during week one in Cornwallis, on my course at least.  Whether it was forced or not wasn't an issue at the time.  They said they were doing a pregnancy test to make sure I was physically fit enough to complete the course without them being liable for some fetal problems and I said "Yes, Master Corporal!".  :)

combat_medic said:
I've never had a mandatory pregnancy test done to me, and I can't see a reason for them to perform one. I think forcing one upon you is pretty discriminatory, and I would voice a serious objection if anyone tried it on me. From a purely medical perspective, you can refuse any medical procedure that you don't want to undertake, and I find it hard to believe the CF would have grounds to force you to take it.

I don't think a mandatory pregnancy test would be discriminatory at all. If it affects your health, it is in the CF's interest to be aware of it (at least the medical system, anyway). If it can affect your ability to fight, then absolutely the CF should have grounds to force a test.  This allows the CF to provide medical support to the soldier's condition with an eye towards rehabilitating him/her to fight. In the case of a pregnant female soldier, ensuring that there are no complications that threaten health - and therefore ensuring that the soldier is not exposed to working conditions that could threaten that pregnancy or the mother's health (certain physical hazards, toxins and chemicals, etc.)

I would apply the same principle to a man who demonstrated signs of prostate cancer - order him in for a test.

I don't suppose anyone actually knows the regs on this, do they?  :-[

I do know that if you are a serving mbr and suspect you are pregnant, you must report so immediately.  You will be sent for a pregnancy test....and if you are found to be pregnant, you are placed on a temp cat etc.  How this applies to someone in the recruiting process..........I don't know.

This convo brings up another point that is sitting in the back of my mind.

Is the military exempt from the Employment act? (ie. hiring practices)

You know, rather than look for a discriminatory or prejudicial reason for the CF asking you take a pregnancy test you could always look at it with the mindset that they may have your best interests at heart. If you began intense physical training and you were pregnant, there are obvious health concerns there. For both the baby and the member.

I don't think it's a violation of your rights rather a means of helping determine what is in the best interests of the CF as well as yourself.

As a member of the CF, if you believe you might be pregnant (as was already mentioned), you must report it. To randomly test everyone for pregnancy, whether or not there is just cause is as ridiculous as randomly testing all members for diabetes, epilepsy, or cancer even with no indication of the illness. Yes, there is a minute possibility of having the illness and not being aware of it, but does that justify the test? Hardly. Just because you're female doesn't mean you're automatically pregnant every time you're sick, or that you're so irresponsible that you wouldn't report it if you suspected it.

If all men were subjected to a test for prostate cancer (and I think we ALL know what that test involves...), just in the off chance that someone might have it and not report it, because it could adversely effect their ability to do their job, there would be an uproar. I think most people are more than capable of looking after their own health, and are responsible enough to report a problem that would interfere with their work. Besides, if they knew and didn't report it, they could be charged.

Again, how would a pregnancy test be relevant on a recruiting test? Would it not be just as discriminatory to deny employment to a pregnant women as it would be for a father of young children? By the time she made it in, the kid would have been born already.

Ok.......I think you'd be hard pressed to find an employer who would knowingly hire someone who would only work long enough to go on maternity leave. I'm not saying thats right by any means, but c'mon. Think from a personnel management point of view. Do you want to hire someone who is going to be gone right away? Doesnt make sense. I've had the old finger in the *** treatment on a workup physical in 1995. I didn't question it, but it was required. Big deal. I think you'll find that as the costs of healthcare increase, mandatory prostate exams are going to be coming sooner than later in the CF. Big deal, better to be violated for a second or 2 than dead of prostate cancer. I watched my uncle die of it, and I choose the finger in the backside before going through that agony.

Anyway, I think there are probably legitimate reasons behind the test. Rather than look at it as a violation of your rights, all I was suggesting was that it's possible there are certain things this person would be subjected to during their training which might be harmful to her or her fetus if pregnancy was not detected. If the test was not done and something happened to her or the baby, who'd get sued?

In this day and age of recruiting etc, they're OVERLY cautious. It's your right to refuse to take a pregnancy test sure. But if a pregnancy test, or a drug test is a condition of hiring and you want the job, it's already in law ( I cannot reference it specifically) that it is acceptable.

You want the job, take the test. You don't want the job, don't take the test. I think you'll find no prejudice, just conditions of employment........

To randomly test everyone for pregnancy, whether or not there is just cause is as ridiculous as randomly testing all members for diabetes, epilepsy, or cancer even with no indication of the illness.

Are you suggesting that it is just as likely that a man has prostate cancer as a woman is pregnant? One is a rare (relatively) disease and the other a physical condition that most women experience at some point in their life. Also, it is impossible for women to tell they are pregnant (outside of intuition) until they miss their next period, so I don't think you could charge a woman for not reporting a pregnancy when she didn't know.

Just because you're female doesn't mean you're automatically pregnant every time you're sick, or that you're so irresponsible that you wouldn't report it if you suspected it.

I don't recall anyone suggesting that female CF members are being tested after they complain of being sick, nor that they wouldn't report it. Instead it was suggested it was part of the Medical in clearance. Two different scenarios.

Again, how would a pregnancy test be relevant on a recruiting test?

To make sure young troopies are not going to hurt themselves or miscarry because they are pregnant. The CF doesn't like lawsuits. Could you not honestly see some female recruit suing the CF because she didn't know she was pregnant, and miscarried because of her job?

Would it not be just as discriminatory to deny employment to a pregnant women as it would be for a father of young children?

That father wouldn't be hauling that baby into the field in his belly, so it doesn't really matter.

Okay.....enough of this.  In 11 years I have never been randomly tested for pregnancy, nor have I ever met anyone who has.  That is insane.  So, I decided to phone the MIR just now and ask.  I have been informed that they DO NOT randomly test for pregnancy.  The only way you would get tested is if YOU suspect you are pregnant.  ALSO, a pregnancy test IS NOT part of the enrolment medical, unless you or they have reason to suspect you are pregnant. 
As for serving members,if you did not know you were pregnant, you can not be charged.  If you are aware you are pregnant and do not disclose this to your chain of command you can be charged.  This is to protect both the baby and the mother.

HollywoodHitman said:
Ok.......I think you'd be hard pressed to find an employer who would knowingly hire someone who would only work long enough to go on maternity leave. I'm not saying thats right by any means, but c'mon. Think from a personnel management point of view. Do you want to hire someone who is going to be gone right away? Doesnt make sense.

Inquiring about a females pregnancy status before an offer of employment is contrary to the Canadian Human Rights Code. This information is available by a simple internet search. What would   be next : ask if a man is married then require his wife to take a pregnancy test because he may elect to take parental leave.
And then even if your not married you still could get a woman pregnant and be entitled to parental leave so whats next : insist that all members of the forces male or female be sterilized.   ::)
We have many rights in this country which other places don't so we should stand behind them and be proud.

Best Wishes

Okay. So....
  I had to go to a civie doc and get this test done to start with. So, it wasn't really the military's budget it was effecting.
  Neither I nor the doc had 'reason to suspect I was pregnant'.
  Like I said, If it was for safety concerns about going on course (which I totally understand), no problems -- but I could have gotten pregnant and had the kid after the test and before course started.
  As far as I can tell, it was random but I did not really ask the doc why I had to get it done because I sorta assumed it was manditory for females.
  So, no other females on these boards have every had to have a pregnancy test? Then it is just plain odd that I did.  ;)

Back