• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PPCLI Regimental Birthday

I only hope that we can do drill for eight weeks prior to the 100th so we are somewhat good on the parade square. I'm sure someone has scheduled this in. Right? It was eight weeks for the 75th I think. Good times! VP!

Happy Birthday PPCLI from the Guns  >:D

http://www.brandon.ca/index.php/calendar-of-events/details/62-rca-museum-free-on-ppcli-birthday

"The RCA Museum at CFB Shilo is open with free admission in honour of the PPCLI birthday 10 August.

We are open 7 days a week 10am-5pm until Labour Day.

Our Manitoba Gallery temporary exhibit ends August 30th."

Tow Tripod said:
I only hope that we can do drill for eight weeks prior to the 100th so we are somewhat good on the parade square. I'm sure someone has scheduled this in. Right? It was eight weeks for the 75th I think. Good times! VP!

Acutually it was about three if I remember correctly.

peanuts, popcorn. licorice and ice cream ...

... does that even get used any more, pejoratively or otherwise

Happy Birthday :

Happy Regimental Birthday to all past and present members of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry!  :cdn:

Another year older but still going strong, happy Regimental Birthday to all members of the PPCLI.

dangerboy said:
Another year older but still going strong, happy Regimental Birthday to all members of the PPCLI.

Indeed!

PPCLI-sm0.jpg

dangerboy said:
Happy birthday to all members of the Regimental Family!

At the outbreak of World War I, when Canada was lacking regular military forces, the then-Captain Andrew Hamilton Gault raised the Patricias. Hamilton Gault offered $100,000 (around 2 million in 2006 Canadian Dollars) to finance and equip a battalion in order to participate in the Canadian war effort overseas. The government temporarily accepted his offer on August 6, 1914, and officially authorized it on August 10, 1914. The Department of Militia and Defence contributed to the equipment of the unit. The charter of the regiment was signed on August 10, and the Governor-General of Canada, HRH The Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, approved the existence of the regiment.

Lieutenant-Colonel Francis D. Farquhar was instrumental in assisting Hamilton Gault in founding the regiment. Colonel Farquhar, Military Secretary to Canada's Governor-General, asked the Duke of Connaught for permission to name the regiment after his daughter, Princess Patricia of Connaught. She was pleased to accept this honour and thus the Princess Patricia's were established. The name Light Infantry in the battalion name was chosen by Captain Gault, who served during the Second Boer War and liked the impression of an irregular force that the name inspired.

Farquhar and Gault moved expeditiously to mobilize the regiment. The day after authority was granted, 11 August 1914, the two men began an aggressive recruitment campaign. Due to the patriotic outpouring following the 4 August declaration of war, some 3000 applicants were recruited within eight days. By 19 August, a full complement of 1,098 had been selected, of those, 1,049 had previously served in South Africa or in the British Army. Lieutenant-Colonel Francis D. Farquhar, DSO, became the first commander of the battalion. The regiment's first formal parade was conducted on 23 August in Ottawa during which Princess Patricia presented the regimental standard.  Princess Patricia, the Colonel-in-Chief, designed and made by hand the regimental flag to be presented on that occasion. It is a crimson flag with a circular royal blue centre. In the circle are gold initials V P which stands for Victoria Patricia. The regimental standard became known as the "Ric-A-Dam-Doo". This flag was carried in every regimental action during World War I. It was not officially adopted as a regimental colour and consecrated as such until after the First World War.

Happy Birthday all!

Another year older and look at us... We just keep gettin' better lookin' every year!!  :salute: :salute:

march17photo1.jpg

Princess Patricia

One of the world's best infantry regiments :salute: !!

Back