• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pouch for 1L Nalgene Bottle

Blackhorse7

Inactive
Reaction score
Any suggestions for a good pouch for a 1L Nalgene Bottle?  MOLLE/PALS compatible would be nice, but not essential.

Blackhorse7 said:
Any suggestions for a good pouch for a 1L Nalgene Bottle?   MOLLE/PALS compatible would be nice, but not essential.

To what end?   For webbing or a ruck?    Nice collapsible 2 quart canteen will serve you better, I carry 3 of them.   Better yet get a camelback, the bigger the better.

Kifaru www.kifaru.net/MGpockets.htm makes a 1 Litre Nalgene pouch as does Killer Gear (mattc@theramp.net)

Nalgene's are awesome.  They don't absorb taste like canteens do, so you can use them to mix drinks in (ie. gatorade), their wide mouth screws directly onto most water filters (ie. MSR Waterworks) and it allows for easy cleaning.  Also in cold weather, by flipping them upside down, they tend to stay ice-free around the mouth, and if it does ice up, the wide mouth easily allows you to poke your knife/bayonet in to break up the ice chunks.

About the only downside to Nalgene bottles is that they are not NBC compatible.

http://lightfighter.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=999

Matt_Fisher said:
Kifaru www.kifaru.net/MGpockets.htm makes a 1 Litre Nalgene pouch as does Killer Gear (mattc@theramp.net)

Nalgene's are awesome.   They don't absorb taste like canteens do, so you can use them to mix drinks in (ie. gatorade), their wide mouth screws directly onto most water filters (ie. MSR Waterworks) and it allows for easy cleaning.   Also in cold weather, by flipping them upside down, they tend to stay ice-free around the mouth, and if it does ice up, the wide mouth easily allows you to poke your knife/bayonet in to break up the ice chunks.

About the only downside to Nalgene bottles is that they are not NBC compatible.

And that half empty waterbottle sloshing around is noisy!   But we seem to be getting farther and farther away from that side of things.  

I sound like a dinosaur, remembering when stuff like that was important (not so long ago it seems).

Says me the "pogue" from my staff officer job.   I will stick with my 2 quarts and lose out in the LCF that comes with a Nalgene, even though I own a few of them.  

To cover off one question, noise is not a concern per se... that's where my Camelbak comes into play.  But a nice convenient pouch that I could attach to a MOLLE/PALS compatible pack is what I am looking for. 

Like Matt says, the Nalgene's are practically indestructible, and a whole lot more maintenance free than a bladder.  I still have place for my Camelbak though.

I carry my Nalgene attached to the TV in the additional canteen pouch by securing it to the bottom loops. I was very wary after seeing a buddy do it, thinking it would be a pain in the ass and bounce all over the place and make a ton of noise. Surprisingly it does none of those things and works well for me. Also, those Nalgene bottles are nearly indestructible, I jumped one in the outside pouch of my ruck, and it landed smack dab right on the bottle, I was certain it would be smashed to bits, but not one scratch! Great piece of kit, both in the field and tooling around Garrison.

Reference the indestructibleness of the nalgene bottle, I have a friend, who, a couple of years ago, purchased her first nalgene bottle, and along with several of her friends, did everything she could to destroy it after being told that it was virtually indestructible... including, but not limited to, dropping it off a building, running it over with a car, burning it, and hitting it with a hammer.

Despite several large burn marks, a couple of deep gashes, and countless tiny scratches, plus a broken loop for the cover, she's still using the same bottle.

scm77 said:

How reliable is this places stuff, more particularly the Nalgene pouch and how will it work if I connect it to the 82 pattern webbelt, im still uneasy about buying stuff over the internet.

Actually, I tried stuffing my 1L Nalgene into an old bren gun pouch and it was a good fit with a little room to spare for things (maybe Gatorade pouches, etc.)  I really like the look of that pouch from Lightfighter.com that had been posted earlier though...

scm77 said:

Please note, this pouch is NOT MOLLE/PALS compatible.  It's got two belt loops that will attach to a 2 1/4" web belt, so if you're using an ALICE or 58/64 pattern web belt you're ok, but if you're trying to put it on either MOLLE/PALS or '82 pattern gear, you're screwed.

A couple more pouches that work ok for Nalgene's are these ones from Tactical Tailor:

Large Utility Pouch (roughly equivalent in size to a Bren Gun Pouch)
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/products/modular_pouches/large_ultility_pouch/

Zippered Utility Pouch
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/products/modular_pouches/zipper_ultility_pouch/

Dave's Surplus in New Westminster BC is having Tactical Tailor produce these in Cadpat.  Contact Dave's for more information:
www.davesarmysurplus.com

Thanks Matt... it's nice that Dave's is in the same province too.  I am already looking towards Dave's for some lightweight patrol boots for the summer...

Daves also sells the Maxpedion Mini Rollypoly. At least witht the rollypoly, you can get the pouch out of the way when you arent using it(and I know that the medium rollypoly can be zap strapped to the tac vest). I'm expecting a medium in the near future to dump my spent mags.

Let us know what you choose,

Chris

I know M.E.C. has a Velcro belt strap, and  insulated pouch for the bottles if that helps

also their a uneatable bottle for many resons.
iv had hot coffee in them every day for a week and all they need is a good cleaning and the taste is gone

Here's another pouch that's pretty decent for a 1 litre Nalgene:

Emdom USA's 4x4 SUV
http://stores.skipjack.com/emdomusa/Detail.bok?no=8

This pouch will fit a 1L Nalgene and the Outdoor Research Water Bottle Parka so that your water bottle will not freeze during winter ops.  Camelbaks kinda lose their novelty when the drinking tube freezes and as such, I'd recommend going back to the old school water bottle hydration system.

Back