• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Posted to Halifax..

• Thread starter Thread starter sirux0r
  • Start date Start date
S

sirux0r

Just got posted here.. on my HHT and having a hard time finding a place..
I need some advice from people who live here.
Apartments downtown are quite expensive on my OS salary..
Dartmouth is a bit far.. isn't it?
Commuting via car is not an option as I cannot get parking..
Help please!

Get an apartment on Windmill Rd and walk across the bridge to the Dockyard. Or stay at A Block. Your choice.

Have you tried to get a PMQ, if you qualify for one.  Windsor Park Q's are walkable to the Dkyd or Stad.  Or, if you're single you could try quarters until you get a better handle on the city, your financial needs etc.

There are provisions for rental search assistance when you are posted..........

Dartmouth isn't far.  You could rent in Cole Harbour and still take the bus to/from work without many worries.

I am 49 years old, have been in Ottawa 16 months and put a grand total of 221 km on my car...Walk!!!
(I am 5.3 km from work by the way)

You should be able to find a decent apartment or rental in Dartmouth on a bus route, or within walking distance of either the bridge or the ferries.

And the transit system supposedly has improved since I was doing my commutes back and forth to SMU and TUNS in the 90's.

cupper said:
And the transit system supposedly has improved since I was doing my commutes back and forth to SMU and TUNS in the 90's.
Don't kid yourself, it's as shitty as it ever was overall. 

I live in an apartment on Ridge Valley Road, and there's another building just down Cowie Hill from me. Rent is much cheaper up here than down town, and my apartment is large and bright. Check with Universal Properties. I'm on a yearly lease, but you can opt for month to month. There's at least one sailor I meet in the elevator occasionally, and he takes the bus. The bus service up here isn't wonderful, but improved slightly since the strike. You can get to Mumford Mall from here, to bus connections to all over the city. Hope this helps.

Hawk

cupper said:
You should be able to find a decent apartment or rental in Dartmouth on a bus route, or within walking distance of either the bridge or the ferries.

Ya, except for the recent 6 weeks strike where no buses or harbour ferries were running.  That must have been 'magical' for Metro Transit users.

Also, keep your eye on the possible announcement on PLD next week.  If there IS a reduction, that might help you decide what you can/can't afford.  FWIW, I used to live in Dartmouth (Pleasant St) and take the bus downtown to RA Park, as it was cheaper and quicker than taking my car.  (6 km drive was 45 minutes.  :facepalm:)

There was also a time I was living in the Qs at Shearwater, would bike to work at RA Park via ferry at Woodside terminal to Halifax terminal.  You'd just have a bit of a walk to Rainbow Gate from the Hfx ferry terminal, but doable. 

With no parking avail for you, you might want to recce the Metro Transit info.  Gets cold on the MacDonald walking it in the winter. 

http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/

There is also a (possibly slim chance) that someone you work with might live close to you and you can carpool, but...not something you can plan for.  Either way, you'd need Metro or a bike to get to work on days they were on leave, etc.

The bus strike was horrible! On the up side - their contract runs to 2015, so the buses should be consistent till then! Its again possible to get where you're going, and more on time than they used to be!

Hawk

Of course they are on time, the drivers all were able to buy new watches and GPSs with their $4k *signing bonus*.  :blotto:

Eye In The Sky said:
Of course they are on time, the drivers all were able to buy new watches and GPSs with their $4k *signing bonus*.  :blotto:

I actually agreed with the reasoning behind the payout. From their website:

"We didn't spend a cent more than what was offered to ATU Local 508 on February 23.

Don't be distracted by the shiny $4,000 lump sum payment in year one of the deal; it's not as attractive as it looks. Imagine you took out a five-year loan; you have several repayment options. You can choose to spread out the loan amount over the five-years, but you end up paying more in interest. Or you can put more money down at the beginning of the loan to reduce the principle and save interest over the term.

The second option is the one selected by ATU Local 508. They chose to receive more money upfront, which means they will receive less over the span of the contract. The impact on HRM is a positive one; we spend less overall by giving more money up front, thereby reducing the compounding effect on annual raises in year's two through five of the contract.

In addition, any ATU employee hired from this day forward will not receive the $4,000 lump sum payment. If the deal had included a percentage wage increase instead in year one, they would have received that increase, however small."

I have no iron in that fire, and no opinion of the $4k...I think where people in HRM got pi$$ed was the news calling it a "signing bonus"...

Hawk said:
I live in an apartment on Ridge Valley Road, and there's another building just down Cowie Hill from me. Rent is much cheaper up here than down town, and my apartment is large and bright. Check with Universal Properties. I'm on a yearly lease, but you can opt for month to month. There's at least one sailor I meet in the elevator occasionally, and he takes the bus. The bus service up here isn't wonderful, but improved slightly since the strike. You can get to Mumford Mall from here, to bus connections to all over the city. Hope this helps.

Hawk

I know a guy who lives at one of those apt buildings, they give you a discount for being in the military. The apt he has was just refurbished with hard wood floors. Great view on the front side.  There is a bus at the door or was and google says 30 mins  by bus to Dkyd, or an hour walk.  A bike would be under 30.  So about $700 per month for a  2 bedroom.  The laundry system is crap as 2 washers and dryers per floor and maybe one of each is up to 100%. Great view from the laundry room.

I applied for a place right by the bridge,
$800/month for a two bedroom all inclusive with a balcony. Seems pretty baller. I'll most likely buy a pedal bike.. and shower it up on base.
If you have a motorcycle.. can you park on base also?

Thanks for the advice guys.

That sounds perfect, sirusOr - and an excellent price for a 2 bedroom with balcony. Enjoy Halifax - its a great city!

Hawk

jollyjacktar said:
Don't kid yourself, it's as shitty as it ever was overall.

I always found getting to Halifax wasn't a problem, but getting back to Dartmouth, especially off peak hours, was a pain in the butt.

Lived 20 minute walk from the ferry, and on any given day it ould take the same amount of time regardless of the mode of transportation, walk, bus or drive when I was heading to TUNS.

But going back home when I had an early afternoon off, it took twice as long by bus than it did to walk and use the ferry, because the bus would either sit at the Bridge for half an hour, or I'd end up going way out of the way via Mic Mac Mall and back down towards the ferry.

Back