• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Post-training living arrangements

Bplante said:
Is it the same thing for officer from DEO ?

Shacks are shacks not matter who you are...you want pets, get a PMQ or go live off-base

If the shacks on base are close to where I'd work I would prefer to live in the shacks as long as my work would be at that base? Would i be allowed to live there as long as I'd want?

mack333 said:
If the shacks on base are close to where I'd work I would prefer to live in the shacks as long as my work would be at that base? Would i be allowed to live there as long as I'd want?

Tsst, tsst... Has been covered before...  :tsktsk:

The 1 RCR (and a few of the other buildings) shacks in Pet are a lot less like "barracks" then a lot of the other unit's shacks.  They feel almost like a low income apartment complex.  That is much preferrable, to me, then the other buildings that feel like you're still in battle school.  The Mods (seperate spaces of 10 rooms, with common areas) help to give it a more private, less regimented feel as well.

No firearms and no paintball guns allowed.  You can store them in your company vault (atleast we can).

Sorry for necro-posting, but can anyone give some insight as to the conditions at the Edmonton barracks/shacks, and what the PMQ's there are like...? If all goes well during recruitment, hopefully I'll get posted there.

Additionally, I've read elsewhere (unconfirmed) that American recruits (yes, I know, we're in Canada) are limited in what personal vehicles they can drive while on base/training (during the 1st year IIRC)... Anything like that here...?

:cdn:

If you have read the site, there is no need to apolgize for necro-posting, what you forgot to do, is ask forgivness in asking questions that have already been answered.

Well after two & a half hours looking, I couldn't find the answer...

Its not in this thread... Atleast not anything within the last 5 years...

Here's your change...  :2c:

j0hn_r1 said:
Sorry for necro-posting, but can anyone give some insight as to the conditions at the Edmonton barracks/shacks, and what the PMQ's there are like...? If all goes well during recruitment, hopefully I'll get posted there.

Additionally, I've read elsewhere (unconfirmed) that American recruits (yes, I know, we're in Canada) are limited in what personal vehicles they can drive while on base/training (during the 1st year IIRC)... Anything like that here...?

Shacks in Edmonton are probably pretty much like they are anywhere else and I'd imagine they're quite full.  If I'm not mistaken, I believe the lower ranks get priority when it comes to living-in, due to the cost of renting in Edmonton.

PMQs?  I'm not sure you can apply for one if you don't have a family.  Either way, it's probably a long wait.

Cars?  You can drive whatever you like as long as it's legal (safetied).  I don't even know why you'd compare us to Americans.  ???

You used the right word when you said hopefully you'd get posted there.  Yes, you get to put down your posting choices but in the end the CF sends you where they need you.

PMedMoe said:
Shacks in Edmonton are probably pretty much like they are anywhere else and I'd imagine they're quite full.  If I'm not mistaken, I believe the lower ranks get priority when it comes to living-in, due to the cost of renting in Edmonton.

PMQs?  I'm not sure you can apply for one if you don't have a family.  Either way, it's probably a long wait.

Cars?  You can drive whatever you like as long as it's legal (safetied).  I don't even know why you'd compare us to Americans.  ???

You used the right word when you said hopefully you'd get posted there.  Yes, you get to put down your posting choices but in the end the CF sends you where they need you.

Thanx for your vague/round-about/contradictory answer... Have you even read the rest of this thread...? Do you have 1st hand experience there..?

Why is there constantly 3-4 of you following me from thread to thread, replying with derogitory smart-ass comments and giving me oh-so-hurtfull negative Milpoints...?

???

j0hn_r1 said:
Do you have 1st hand experience there..?

I used to be posted to Edmonton and the situation there was as PMedMoe described....

Happy now ?

-300......next

j0hn_r1 said:
Thanx for your vague/round-about/contradictory answer... Have you even read the rest of this thread...? Do you have 1st hand experience there..?

Actually, I have read the rest of this thread.  I didn't join the site yesterday.  Yes, I have been posted to Edmonton.  Shacks are shacks.  What more could we tell you?  There's walls, ceilings, floors, etc.  You may get a single room, a double or be stuck with three other people.  How is my answer contradictory?  Vague, yes, because everything is different and things always change.  Gawd forbid I give you a very factual answer and then you come back and say "Thanks for lying to me."  How's this for vague:

j0hn_r1 said:
can anyone give some insight as to the conditions at the Edmonton barracks/shacks, and what the PMQ's there are like...?

Condition?  Are they falling apart?  Are they new?  Are they close to work?  Etc, etc.  A PMQ is a house.  Two, three or four bedroom.  Singles, duplexes, rowhouses.  1950's prefab.  Here's a picture (It's Petawawa, by the way, apologies for it not being Edmonton.  ::) ):

attachment.php

j0hn_r1 said:
Why is there constantly 3-4 of you following me from thread to thread, replying with derogitory smart-*** comments and giving me oh-so-hurtfull negative Milpoints...?

I did not reply to you with a derogatory, smart-*** comment, I was actually trying to help.  I don't follow you from thread to thread so stop flattering yourself.  Don't want my help?  Fine.  Have  a nice day.

I appreciate your help PMedMoe. You share your experience in the military with us, applicants for who, the CF is still a big black box, and it is helpful. Keep the good work, even if some fellas might not care, I do, and I am convince that I am not the only one.

By the way, I see similar barracks/shacks as your picture at the Jericho Garrison (Vancouver).

And thanks again to all members of CF that contribute to this forum.

Thank you, Antoine.  Glad to know I'm helping someone.

The picture I posted is PMQs, not barracks.  But yes, they're all over the place.  :nod:

j0hn_r1 said:
Why is there constantly 3-4 of you following me from thread to thread, replying with derogitory smart-ass comments and giving me oh-so-hurtfull negative Milpoints...?

???

That was a rhetorical question, riiiight?

PMedMoe said:
Thank you, Antoine.  Glad to know I'm helping someone.

You posts are always interesting and informative on a variety of subjects, PMedMoe. You have shown great patience with those of us asking military related questions.

After reading through this thread and a couple others, I'm still a bit unclear with respect to what exactly I'm supposed to do with all my belongings.

-I have lived on my own for 10 years and have gathered up a sizeable pile of belongings.
-I'm single.
-I have no one I can leave my stuff with other than a storage facility.  I have heard the CF covers the cost of storage, but I have not had this nor any details regarding it confirmed.
-I imagine from what I have read in this and other threads, that I have too much stuff to fit into the Shacks. 
-Someone in this thread mentioned that PMQ's are not typically for single people, and there is an expectation to live in the shacks for the first year or so. 

I am not worried as I'm sure I'll get a chance to go over this with someone from the recruiting office sometime, but I would genuinely appreciate some insights in the meantime as I'm a little confused what the future holds for my boxes of belongings. 

Thanks in advance (ps I'll keep reading other threads for an answer, I just haven't found one yet so figured I'd ask.)

BorisK said:
After reading through this thread and a couple others, I'm still a bit unclear with respect to what exactly I'm supposed to do with all my belongings.

-I have lived on my own for 10 years and have gathered up a sizeable pile of belongings.
-I'm single.
-I have no one I can leave my stuff with other than a storage facility.  I have heard the CF covers the cost of storage, but I have not had this nor any details regarding it confirmed.
-I imagine from what I have read in this and other threads, that I have too much stuff to fit into the Shacks. 
-Someone in this thread mentioned that PMQ's are not typically for single people, and there is an expectation to live in the shacks for the first year or so. 

I am not worried as I'm sure I'll get a chance to go over this with someone from the recruiting office sometime, but I would genuinely appreciate some insights in the meantime as I'm a little confused what the future holds for my boxes of belongings. 

Thanks in advance (ps I'll keep reading other threads for an answer, I just haven't found one yet so figured I'd ask.)

It's simple.  If you have been offered employment with the CF Regular Force and are now waiting to be enrolled, you need to contact your CFRC "immediately" and inform them that you have personal effects which you would like to have stored.  They will contract a moving company, who will pack and store your effects.  Your involvement is minimal.  Once you have graduated from your occupational training (ie; QL3) and are posted to a new unit for first time employment, you will be allowed to have your belongings moved to you but you ONLY have 6 months to do this.  After the 6 months have elapsed, you then become responsible for the storage fees and possibly future moving costs.

Back