• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Post-training living arrangements

jonsey

Inactive
Reaction score
Ok, I didn't see this in the FAQ or any results when I searched, so here I ask.

After completing BMQ/SQ/OL3, and you're with your unit, what kind of living conitions can a single person expect? On base? Off base? In an apartment? In a house with other soldiers?

And, am I correct in assuming that, once trained and at your first posting, that you can bring items like musical instruments and the like?

This applies to Reg Force.!!! Once done training and posted with your unit, where you live normally is pretty much up to you. However most Pte's start off living in the shacks as it is more affordable, and if you're like me when I was a Pte (man am I OLD!!) you probably do not own a lot of furniture etc.   If you're married you can chose to live in PMQ's, rent or buy a home (again the PMQ option is the most affordable).   Hopefully your first posting is not Ottawa, no single living quarters!!!   As for musical instruments, etc, as long as its legal to own, you have the right to keep it with you, its your place of residence (even in the shacks).   However if you chose the shacks, firearms normally have to be stored in approved facility (again when I was young, the MPs stored them for you).  Unless on full-time contract (Class B B/A or C), reservists are not entitled to quarters.  You have to secure your own lodging.

Hey, I was just thinking about the firearms thing last night, thanks for answering my unasked question.  I was talking to some friends of mine, and wondered if it was possible to own a handgun, assuming I get a restricted license and whatnot.

Yep, Reg Force is what I was talking aboot.  What are the shacks like?

The shacks vary from base to base.
Gagetown: 1 or 2 to a room, pretty run down, one large common room for the building, perpetually dim and smelly.  There's also a little dinet and laundry area.
Borden: Condo type living, six to ten room modules, one pers per room and a common room/dinet per mod.  Each mod has its own laundry and a storage locker in the basement.
Wainwright (changed since I was posted there):  The best shacks I've ever lived in.  Nothing to look at from the outside but great inside.  Very few people in the full time staff shacks.  Large common room, laundry room on each floor and showers on each floor.  Depending on how long you'd lived there and what sort of mood the accomodations NCO was in you could get one of two types of room.  The single room was just that.  A large room with a walk in closet and a sink/mirror against one wall.  The double room meant you got two rooms, a door had been knocked between them and one was slightly small, that was because you had a walk in closet and a full bathroom (no shower/tub).  Looking this up the QR&Os it was the level of accomadation usually assigned to Majors and above.  The Sr NCO/WO single quarters were single rooms, slightly larger than the Jr ranks single room and with nicer furnishings.  Of course you could chuck everything out of your room and furnish it as you liked.  However from what I hear they have new shacks in Wainwright, but not as good as the old ones.
Shilo: Condo as per Borden

So there is no standard per se, there are different rates for rent depending on what you get.  I paid $333.00 a month for rations and quarters in Wainwright.

Some units have a policy that new soldiers MUST live in barracks for at least a year. I'm not sure of the legality of that, but it's actually a good idea. The rent is relatively cheap, and if you pay for rations and quarters (food and lodging), it comes right off your paycheck, so you don't have to worry about bouncing a rent check and/or having to eat Mr Noodles or yellow death (Kraft Dinner) until payday. There are different options for the mess hall now (pay for what you eat, a set price per meal, or monthly), and (in Edmonton, anyway) you didn't have to eat in the mess hall at all, but there are fairly strict regulations about how you can heat/cook food in the barracks (ie. no hotplates (or approved hotplates)).

The reason for forcing new soldiers to live in barracks for the first year is to reduce the amount of "administrative burden" issues that come up (bouncing rent checks, not being able to afford rent, etc). Some of the more mature soldiers (soldiers that lived on their own for many years before joining) can usually get out of that by proving that they are capable of living on their own (enough furniture, know how to balance a check book, etc). A really easy way to get the boot from the military is to become an administrative burden. Having finance companies phoning your CO is a great way to get in the bad books. NEVER give out your unit's phone number to anything less than a bank, and even then tell them to never phone your unit except in an emergency. Your platoon/troop Warrant Officer and/or Troop Leader/Platoon Commander are NOT your personal secretary. Another good way to get in the bad books.......

Most of the barracks (that I know of) are being improved, but the rooms are either A) small, or B) slightly bigger, but you share with someone else. If you have a LOT of furniture from being a civilian, that can be an issue. And new soldiers are the one's that are expected to double up (or triple or quadruple, depending on the base and/or quarters situation) not the Cpl's and Master Corporals (who usually get their own room). You can normally get a phone line, and cable, and a lot of guys have satellite dishes installed. Internet access can be a problem, but I think that it's getting better.

It's not at all like Full Metal Jacket (dormitory style) or other war movies. You are expected to keep your room clean, and if you have or share a bathroom, that must be cleaned as well. You can expect to have your Warrant Officer come through at least once a week (they look for cleanliness and damages, not to see if your socks are rolled up like in Basic). You can play musical instruments, but keep in mind that you are in a barracks, with lots of other soldiers, some of whom work shift work, and hearing a poor rendition of Stairway to Heaven at 2230 on a Thursday night, at 9.5 on your amp, will not endear you to your neighbours. There are also policies for Quiet Hours that are enforced (usually after 2200 on "school" nights, and 2300 hrs on weekends, depending on base, etc)

Anyway, hope that helped, and feel free to ask any other questions via PM.

Al

Ok, I think this answers pretty much all of my questions. Thanks, guys.

you guys are great. this really clears things up. you have a no bs answer for every question we might have. finally we get info that we need to know, that the rect centre's wont tell us.

Hooya :army:

Can you keep pets in these "shacks"????

What if I want to have a lady friend spend the night; is that acceptable????

Hey, I'm just wondering how much of this applies to junior officers and if anything, what is different if you would be entering as a DEO.
Thanks

DrSize said:
Can you keep pets in these "shacks"????

What if I want to have a lady friend spend the night; is that acceptable????

I'd imagine a lady-friend would be a no-no, in Male Quarters.
What about pets though? I'd imagine a dog, or a cat would be out of the books. But what about a fish tank? Or a lizard in a terrarium?

What are the shacks like in Pet? Never been to that base before, and I figure I'll be up there pretty soon.

In Petawawa you cant have pets in the shacks but you can have ladies over night hence the term "shack rats" a lot of my buddies have girlfriends sleep over or take homes from the bar, whether or not its against regulation is beyond me. You can get single rooms in the shacks but it costs a little more. Most rooms are standard, 2 beds, 2 desks, 2 closets. Shared common room and laundry etc.

I forgot to add, PMQ's are pretty cheap, they are small but worth it if you can afford it. We pay 512 a month not including utilities for a 3 bedroom. Many guys from the shacks find roomates and rent a PMQ together. I have a few on my street.

It may be cheaper for you because I believe CFHA is a rent geared to income housing agency.

Sorry I was wrong, I just looked over my lease and they can only charge you a certain amount of your income I believe not over 25%.

Here is a direct quote from the CFHA Rent Handout

"Remember, the QR & Os state that no resident can be charged more than 25% of their gross family monthly income for rent"

lol no not that long just heard that after a year they encourage you to move out of shacks ? good to know how long you can save for a place till you have to leave

Does anyone know for sure if a dog would be allowed in the Edmonton or Shilo shacks or PMQ's?

sharp_85 said:
Does anyone know for sure if a dog would be allowed in the Edmonton or Shilo shacks or PMQ's?

No dogs in the shacks......anywhere as far as i know

Back