• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

possible flares? anyone know what these are in my photos?

Excolis

Inactive
Reaction score
anyone know what these are?  i know they are old,    I'm curious that's all.

Pretty blurry, but they look like pen flares to me.  Haven't seen one in about 15 years, though....

Kat Stevens said:
Pretty blurry, but they look like pen flares to me.  Haven't seen one in about 15 years, though....

I'll go with Kat on this. Pen flares. Useless POS. You can spit further. They'll be no good unless you come up with the launcher, even then, don't expect much.

Ayup.... pen flares BUT, as stated, without the launcher, you're outa luck

from your handle, I would assume you either bought these in a surplus store OR someone forgot to check their pockets before making an ammo declaration.

Possible that the Reserve unit QMs might still have em on a shelf at the very back.. way back.

Some of them look pretty close to what is known as a "Bear Banger."  If you need the pen part, MEC sells them, and it might work for you.
http://www.macecanada.com/canada/wilderness1/cartridges/bearbangers15.htm

QMs wont have the pens to launch these type.  CF only use pushfit ones now, these are screw fit.  Look like 16mm the Brits use.  If you look at the base they should have a 22 blank rimfire cartridge case it uses as propelling charge.  If they are not bear bangers they should go to around 90-100 metres high and be visible from 1500 metres away to a ground level observer.

DO NOT however depend on them in a lifesaving situation.  These do have a definate shelflife.  Best thing to do is ask at you local Coast Guard, police, marine supply company what they do with out of date distress flares and get rid of them.

D

these were from the Korean war as far as i know.  my grandfather had them when he was on a ship.  but thanks for the info.

sorry about the pics also, but these do have a threaded base.  any other info on these would be great.  what were these used for?

Signals, used to signal things...
On Night Ranges- Fire/Cease Fire/Misfire
On Ops- Identification/Objective reached/etc

armoured soon said:
these were from the Korean war as far as i know.  my grandfather had them when he was on a ship. 
Being a pyrotechnic device its use is limited by the flare burn time for catching the attention of a potential rescuer. They are more useful at sea or in open areas where they can be quickly and easily spotted.
Lots of info here, just search the pdf for flare:
http://www.jcs.mil/j6/cceb/acps/Acp130a.pdf#search=%22VISUAL%20communications%20flare%20signals%20navy%22
good reading here too. 
http://scard.buffnet.net/pages/signal/signalpages/flare/coston.html
this should give you an idea, but unless you can lay hands on an actual manual from the RCN during korean era, and know exactly what you have in your hands, you are just going to have to guess. 
By the way, I would caution you not to use them, as old explosives are not reliable.

They are good for lighting the gut line when you need to flare an oilwell ;D

Now the best thing you can do with those things is to have them safely disposed of.

Those things have (or should have) a firing cap that's exposed at the bottom of the thread and a propellant to "shoot" the flare skyward - and the flare itself....

Today, they're as old as the hills but would you want to be near one if it was dropped (or thrown) into a fire?

They are flares for the bear banger pens, likely no older than 20 years and would still work. Any wilderness store will have launchers for them. They also make multiple head launchers that has a revolving drum which can take 4 bangers/flares.

Back