• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Policy Interpretation Involving Substance Abuse

b7197

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'd like to hear your opinions about Policy Interpretation Involving Substance Abuse.
A member has voluntarily requested a padre to discuss his recent admission of a relapse of cocane use. The member has given you permission to break any confidence concerns in order to assist him with  this situation. He disclosed to his platoon and company commander a month ago.
After the relapse, the member felt ashamed and guilty.
He knew about the "zero tolerance" drug policy. After a medical test, he was given a formal piece of paper - an "Intent to Release" with an explanation of this action as DAOD 5019-3. He feels that he is being punished unfairly for his good intensions to come forward with his struggles and his honesty. The member wishes to remain in the military.
The member has requested padre's support to the CO that garnts him 5 days of Short Leave so that he can take some time off to de-stress during this trying time.

Here is my questions.
1. Does the member have a case to support the request?
2. What is yor recommendation with regard to the request for five days of Short Leave?
3. What other recommendations would you make?

Thanks

With regards to question 2, the CO can't grant 5 days short leave. He can only grant two days per month. If the member is indeed so stressed that he cannot function, he should go to the MIR and be treated. He may be given sick leave to cover the 5 days.

With regards to question 3, I would recommend the member prepare to be released and start adjusting to life on the outside.  I'll let others rant about the character of someone who succumbs to drug use. The truth is, even the best of people have problems with addictions, and can have a relapse.

The CF has a very strict policy for a reason. Relapsing indicates that the member has not yet been able to manage whatever it is that drives him towards this behaviour. What happens if this member, for whatever reason, relapses while on a mission, or even on a domsetic deployment?  We as an organization cannot take the risk.

Has this member been on an op tour? If so, he should be directed to the Medical pers for a further assessment.

Second, the padre cannot grant five days short leave. Neither can the CO.

WRT question three.....this is delicate and none of us has all the facts. IMO this is not a forum for specific cases, and its a public forum to boot.

b7197 said:
He knew about the "zero tolerance" drug policy. After a medical test, he was given a formal piece of paper - an "Intent to Release" with an explanation of this action as DAOD 5019-3. He feels that he is being punished unfairly for his good intensions to come forward with his struggles and his honesty. The member wishes to remain in the military.

Addictions have some very strange effect on people and they can be very difficult to shake. Addictions can leave people inches away from death while the person believes they have the best life they could possible have. The true nature of any addiction is it takes away your freedom. Its like being in jail. There are some fun moments in jail but I would never want to go back again. The sooner people see that the better their chances are of getting away. All it took to get addicted was 1 try and its even easier to get addicted the second time so I stay as far away from everything as possible. :)

I feel bad for the person and I hope he can find a way to resolve the issue. That being I would point out the logic of being punished for good intentions. For the most part people tend to come forward for selfish reasons of not wanting to deal with guilt anymore. How would you feel if your wife said I don't want to deal with the guilt anymore, so I figured I would tell you that I am sleeping with the pool boy?

I don't know if this will help but I would guess that you have a far better chance if he looks at what happened and not the outcome. How did I get here and how can I make sure I don't end up here again. I got arrested for care and control (drinking and driving) and I blamed the cops and judge for having a stupid law. What happened, I got arrested for the same @#$%a thing. The second time I blamed myself and fixed the problem.  I sure wish I would have learned the first time though.

Good luck and I don't mean any of this offensively. People can tell the difference between taking responsibility for ones actions and feeling guilty. Taking responsibility might be enough for the CO to work with him on it.

Jim Seggie said:
Has this member been on an op tour? If so, he should be directed to the Medical pers for a further assessment.
All pers involved with drugs are referred for medical assessment.  Career history is not a factor in this; it is directed in the DAOD 5019 series.

Back