• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PMJT: The First 100 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
George Wallace said:
NO.  Nothing to do with Trudeau at all, but with the people making the comments.  An example how some are making issue of something, raising a commotion, that will soon be forgotten by everyone within a day or two.

Joe Jesus Jambottling Christ.

George,

Stop. Fucking. Posting.

YOU tried making an issue out of that meme - to advance YOUR argument that JT ain't to be taken serious, or whatever other garbage you wish to spout about it today. It went over like a lead balloon and, as recceguy points out, you just cannot stop digging that hole.

It is precisely that sort of shit that makes me more than happy seeing some of the more vile Conservatives out there crawling out of their own skin since Shiny Pony got in.

To be crystal clear: I am not attacking any of the CPC supporters here. For the very most part the arguments are presented respectfully. It's what I have been saying on social media that is disgusting, and where I get my happiness in seeing them so upset from.

Scott said:
To be crystal clear: I am not attacking any of the CPC supporters here. For the very most part the arguments are presented respectfully. It's what I have been saying on social media that is disgusting, and where I get my happiness in seeing them so upset from.

No problem, Scott ... I share your frustrations. (The plural matters.)

One of the keys to the first 100 days is the promise to bring 25,000 refugees here by 1 Jan 16 (Day 58). Ian MacLeod, writing in the Ottawa Citizen, suggests that the Paris incident has rasied the political and security stakes for Prime Minister Trudeau.

He quotes Ray Boisvert, a former counter-terrorism chief for CSIS, as saying “If there are one or two refugee claimants in that group, that won’t bode well, especially across Europe and in the United States and Canada,” and Christian Leuprecht, a terrorism expert at the Royal Military College and Queen’s University, as adding that “I think it will make people think twice” [about Canada’s resettlement timetable] and “My big concern is that now people will link the refugee crisis with these terrorist incidents and that this will put a big damper on it,” [and] “that’s fundamentally calling into question who and what we are.

So there we have it:

The promise was and remains politically important: it's about hope and change ... the reason so many people voted for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau; but

Keeping the promise could unleash a political disaster ~ a terrorist admitted under the programme sets off a bomb in Montreal, killing Canadians ~ which Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his government cannot hope to survive.

David Akin, responds to this tweet:

Jennifer Harnden ‏@jennieharnden  2h2 hours ago
    I wonder if the #ParisAttacks will qualify as evidence for Trudeau's "evidence-based" policies on Syria, CF18s, and ISIS strategy

Saying:

David Akin ‏@davidakin  2h2 hours ago
    David Akin Retweeted Jennifer Harnden
    We’d love to ask him that but 2nd day in a row: Trudeau not talking to travelling press here.

And:

David Akin ‏@davidakin  2h2 hours ago
    David Akin Retweeted Norman Spector
    Yup. We got more from Harper on his trips! (He’d do a mid-summit “spray” and full presser on final day)

By golly, those Liberals are really going to change the way things happen, aren't they?  :-\  They'll deal fairly and openly with the media, unlike that wicked ol' Stephen Harper ...  ;)

>Overlooked?  The fact that he is a human being, displays emotions, and has a family?  What exactly has he done wrong?

Nothing.  But people could have asked the same question shortly after Harper's first victory - and then repeatedly over the years - when he was criticized for displaying insufficient emotion.

Anyways, file it away and see what happens to the candidates when the CPC launches its leadership campaign.

Meanwhile, those that are left in the Opposition are frantically backtracking on many of the more divisive policies the Harper government pursued. Things like this happen after every electoral defeat, the NDP is also busily rewriting the history of its campaign ("We took a principled stance on the niqab issue, our loss has nothing to do with us campaigning on balanced budgets no matter what"),  but this is noteworthy for unnecessary spitefulness in a lot of the Conservative policies. Not a lot of room to maneuver for these folks.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2015/11/15/do-conservatives-take-voters-for-fools-hepburn.html

Let’s start with Rona Ambrose, the new interim party leader. Without a hint of insincerity, Ambrose insists her caucus will no longer engage in the “nastiness” of the old Harper government and will be more “constructive, effective” in working as the Official Opposition.

Also, Ambrose has completely reversed herself on the need for a public inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women. For years, the Tories refused to hold an inquiry into what the RCMP says are more than 1,200 cases of missing and murdered indigenous women and girls.

Now she is all in favour of an inquiry, saying it “is an absolutely non-partisan issue, it should never be political.”

This is the same woman who, back in 2010 when she was minister for the status of women, defended a decision by the Harper government to cut off funding for a database operated by Sisters in Spirit, a group that had been tracking 582 cases of murdered or missing aboriginal women in Canada.

Next is Tony Clement, the former industry minister who cancelled the long-form census of 2011, a move widely denounced inside and outside of government. Clement was relentless in implementing the change, insisting it was needed to protect citizen privacy.

Now Clement is expressing regrets, saying in hindsight that “I would have done it differently.”

No kidding, Tony!

Then there’s Kellie Leitch, the former labour minister at the centre of one of the lowest points in the Tory campaign. She hit that point when she joined cabinet colleague Chris Alexander in announcing “a snitch hotline” to report “barbaric cultural practices.” In reality, Leitch was urging Canadians to target Muslims in their neighbourhoods.

Now Leitch, who apparently dreams of succeeding Harper, says the plan was misunderstood and not communicated very well.

In addition, there’s Harper himself, now just a backbench MP.

As an opposition MP before he became prime minister, Harper often criticized the use of government-owned VIP Challenger jets by Liberal cabinet ministers.

But last week, ordinary MP Harper eagerly accepted Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s generous offer to fly Harper back to Calgary on a Challenger jet. No word on whether Harper gave a second’s thought to the estimated $12,000-$15,000 cost to taxpayers for use of the plane.

Do these Conservatives take voters to be fools?

Saw this on the International Association of Firefighters ( IAFF ) homepage,

Big Wins in Canada

Yesterday, after the longest federal election campaign since 1872, democracy was on full display as Canadians rose up by the millions and voted for change.

The Liberal majority government elected under Prime Minister-designate Justin Trudeau is a welcome result for the IAFF and our members and a victory for public and fire fighter safety.

The IAFF and its Canadian leadership undertook a bold and unprecedented level of engagement in this election. Our three Canadian District Vice Presidents - Lorne West, Fred LeBlanc and David Burry - weighed in heavily on the strategy and direction of our effort. We talked with our affiliate leaders across Canada. We leaned on our communications staff at IAFF headquarters and our staff in the IAFF Canadian Office.

We engaged tens of thousands of Canadians on our “Fire Fighters for Change” social media sites, and we formed partnerships with a number of organizations that share the same values we do.

We provided affiliate leaders with the tools to participate effectively in this election. We reached out directly to all of Canada’s political parties to ask them to support fire fighter issues - and we reached out directly to you to ask you to think about those same issues when you voted.

The Liberals pledged directly to us in writing that they will implement a national Public Safety Officer Compensation benefit for the families of fire fighters who make the ultimate sacrifice, something we’ve been lobbying for in Canada for more than 22 years.

They also made commitments on post-traumatic stress resources for our members, to study the National Building Code to ensure it addresses fire fighter safety and to restore Canada’s regional Heavy Urban Search & Rescue teams.

The election result means we are on the brink of these important advances.

Yesterday’s election was a also a victory for union members like you, who depend on a level playing field in order to bargain for fair wages, benefits and pensions, who deserve to work in an environment where public sector workers are valued, not vilified, and who expect the interests of working families won’t take a back seat to big corporations.

I am very proud of the work we all did together that helped bring about this change. While we can’t and won’t even attempt to take the credit for the results, it is important for all of our members to understand the much larger role we played in this national election.

Thank you for thinking about what matters to you as a professional fire fighter during the past 78 days and for being a part of this historic election. A politically-engaged membership is a healthy and strong membership, and an essential ingredient in our success in advancing fire fighter issues both in Canada and the United States.

The IAFF will be engaging Canada’s new government on our core issues without delay. And we will keep you informed every step of the way.

Congratulations on a job well done. Stay safe.

Fraternally,

Harold A. Schaitberger
General President
http://client.prod.iaff.org/#contentid=17379

Another factor squeezing PMJT & Co. ....
Two-thirds of Canadians are in favour of extending the current Canadian Forces mission against ISIS in Iraq, according to an exclusive poll for Global News.

The Global News/Ipsos Reid poll found 66 per cent of Canadians surveyed said they agreed with the Conservative government’s intent to extend the mission past its current end date next month.

Support for continuing with the mission, known as Operation Impact, is highest among Conservative voters, with 86 per cent saying they strongly or somewhat agree with Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s plans to extend the operation.

Respondents who indicated they vote for the Liberals showed the second-highest support for a mission extension, but far less than Conservative respondents, with 67 per cent saying they strongly or somewhat agree with an extension.

It’s a completely different story among Bloc Quebecois voters. Only 38 per cent of poll respondents who said they were Bloc Quebecois supporters we onside with extending the current mission in Iraq.

(....)

The Ipsos Reid poll did not ask the 1,004 respondents whether or not they supported expanding Canada’s operations into Syrian territory.

Of the people who took part in the poll, conducted between March 16 and March 19, 65 per cent strongly or somewhat agreed with the use of Canadian Forces on the ground to combat ISIS.

(....)

These are some of the findings of an Ipsos Reid poll conducted between March 16 and March 19, 2015, on behalf of Global News. For this survey, a sample of 1,004 Canadians from Ipsos’ online panel was interviewed online. Weighting was then employed to balance demographics to ensure that the sample’s composition reflects that of the adult population according to Census data and to provide results intended to approximate the sample universe. The precision of Ipsos online polls is measured using a credibility interval. In this case, the poll is accurate to within +/ – 3.5 percentage points, 19 times out of 20, had all Canadian adults been polled.
Looks like this was, indeed, an "event" ....

64% of those polled would support a ground combat mission in Iraq. Methinks Mister Trudeau is going to be on the wrong side of history if there is a coalition and he doesn't change his tune.

PuckChaser said:
64% of those polled would support a ground combat mission in Iraq. Methinks Mister Trudeau is going to be on the wrong side of history if there is a coalition and he doesn't change his tune.

Don't forget though that the majority of Canadians supported C-51 in the immediate aftermath of the attack on Parliament Hill. That has since changed.

If there's anything we've learned in the last 14 years, it's that making hasty policy decisions in the immediate aftermath of an attack is always a mistake.

I haven't seen this number either, do you have a link?

Looks like Trudeau is going to ban oil tankers on the west coast of Canada.Thats taking a shot at oil's contribution to the Canadian economy.It will also make it difficult to export oil to asia.I wonder how long will it take for a return of the Conservatives ?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-13/canada-to-ban-tankers-on-north-pacific-coast-in-blow-to-enbridge

tomahawk6 said:
Looks like Trudeau is going to ban oil tankers on the west coast of Canada.Thats taking a shot at oil's contribution to the Canadian economy.It will also make it difficult to export oil to asia.I wonder how long will it take for a return of the Conservatives ?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-13/canada-to-ban-tankers-on-north-pacific-coast-in-blow-to-enbridge

It does not ban transport through Vancouver.  The Liberals have been very clear that they don't support Northern Gateway.  They did support Keystone XL and do support the Trans Mountain expansion to Vancouver.

tomahawk6 said:

You can't just make this shit up. :facepalm:

recceguy said:
You can't just make this crap up. :facepalm:

Northern Gateway was never - never going to happen.  The aboriginal opposition and their right of consent in non treaty territory was too much for it to ever overcome.

jmt18325 said:
Northern Gateway was never - never going to happen.  The aboriginal opposition and their right of consent in non treaty territory was too much for it to ever overcome.

Never say never, as you cannot guarantee the outcome 100%.

recceguy said:
Never say never, as you cannot guarantee the outcome 100%.

99.9% in this case.  This allows Justin a win on a file that wasn't going to happen. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back