• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PMJT: The First 100 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
YZT580 said:
One thing that makes me feel more secure.  Justin does not take after his father.  I absolutely did not like Trudeau senior but he did have b###S.  Justin instead takes after his mother.
Disputed by most everyone who has met him, but what would they know?

Chris Pook said:
Its going to be worse for us than it ever was for the Harper haters.

Harper stayed away from cameras.
And he had his smile surgically removed before he got into politics.

Headwaiter, referee - not much diff.  Pity his father isn't alive.

"The Canadian Press headline says it all: “Trudeau says his job is to bring people together”.
Huh? So it’s not to be a leader."
Go on, TorStar, you can say it ... "Not a leader".

Regardless, Trudeau isn't mediating - he has effectively chosen a side.  As long as provinces and municipalities control their own turf the outcome is "no pipeline".  He is essentially able to side with QC and his establishment buddies while pretending he isn't picking a side.

People who are sympatico with all this shouldn't underestimate the depth of antipathy building in parts of western Canada, particularly AB and SK.  The fact that provinces do not pay into equalization is a distinction lost on most Canadians, and is in any event eclipsed by the fact that provinces do receive equalization.  The growing impression is of the perennial spoiled and selfish child of Confederation, QC, continuing to collect the money - and becoming quite irate when even the theoretical possibility of moving QC into "have" status is raised - while saying "no" to some of the ways in which the pot of money might be created.  (Bind not the mouths of the kine that tread the grain, etc.)

A good thing it is that he wasn't in charge in the early days of establishing national railroads and building the country.  Are there any adults in the Liberal government who can graft in a spine and reach up into his inguinal canal and pull down his balls?

Altair said:
Disputed by most everyone who has met him, but what would they know?

Just as a reality check, I have actually had the opportunity to see both former Prime Minister Harper and then MP Justin Trudeau at fairly small events. Interestingly enough, in small fora and without media in their faces, the two men were not only opposites to each other, but also 1800 removed from their media presentations. PM Harper was warm and personable (I suspect he is uncomfortable in larger settings, which the media played up into the cold, controlling caricature). The Young Dauphin was giving a speech in U Windsor, and despite the venue and the payment (this was when he was still commanding 20K/speech), the speech was "telephoned in" and devoid of any interesting or new ideas. He then left rather abruptly without taking much, if any time to work the crowd. (The fact that the crowd still seemed to be enthralled with this performance was perhaps the most baffling part of the entire event).

I have always wanted the opportunity to see Thomas Mulcaire up close and personal, to see just how much of the "Angry Tom" meme is a media artifact.

First step in Trudeau paying back PSAC for its support:

http://www.nationalnewswatch.com/2016/01/26/liberal-negotiations-with-civil-service-could-reverse-900m-in-planned-savings-3/#.VqhCO1mgWjx

Liberal negotiations with civil service could reverse $900M in planned savings

By Andy Blatchford — Jan 26 2016

OTTAWA — The Liberals are poised to abandon the Conservative hardline approach to contract talks with public labour unions, a move that could cost the federal balance sheet nearly $1 billion this fiscal year.

The Liberal government has confirmed it will repeal Tory legislation that allows Ottawa to impose changes to short-term disability and sick leave in the public service.

The Treasury Board recently signalled to federal unions that it would make withdrawing a provision in Bill C-59 "one of its first orders of business."

The action is expected to have fiscal consequences.

The Conservatives booked $900 million in savings to the government's bottom line in last year's budget, even though negotiations were still ongoing with the unions.

The Harper government's accounting decision helped its election-year budget forecast a $2.4-billion surplus, including the contingency reserve.

By booking that figure, it means the 2015-16 balance sheet could be another $900 million deeper in the red.

Since coming to power, the Liberals updated the 2015-16 budget projection in November to a $3-billion shortfall.

Internally, however, the government is aware that more could be shaved from the public books because of the accounting around the short-term disability and sick leave regime.

"If the (short-term disability plan) is not implemented this fiscal year, then the $900 million in savings in 2015-16 will need to be unwound," said briefing material on "urgent issues" provided to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau shortly after he took office.

Brad Sallows said:
Headwaiter, referee - not much diff.  Pity his father isn't alive.

"The Canadian Press headline says it all: “Trudeau says his job is to bring people together”.
Huh? So it’s not to be a leader."
Go on, TorStar, you can say it ... "Not a leader".

Regardless, Trudeau isn't mediating - he has effectively chosen a side.  As long as provinces and municipalities control their own turf the outcome is "no pipeline".  He is essentially able to side with QC and his establishment buddies while pretending he isn't picking a side.

People who are sympatico with all this shouldn't underestimate the depth of antipathy building in parts of western Canada, particularly AB and SK.  The fact that provinces do not pay into equalization is a distinction lost on most Canadians, and is in any event eclipsed by the fact that provinces do receive equalization.  The growing impression is of the perennial spoiled and selfish child of Confederation, QC, continuing to collect the money - and becoming quite irate when even the theoretical possibility of moving QC into "have" status is raised - while saying "no" to some of the ways in which the pot of money might be created.  (Bind not the mouths of the kine that tread the grain, etc.)

A good thing it is that he wasn't in charge in the early days of establishing national railroads and building the country.  Are there any adults in the Liberal government who can graft in a spine and reach up into his inguinal canal and pull down his balls?

Will the facade of Trudeau mania dissipate by next election?  I fear the sheople will still vote him in (wasn't the provincial Liebrals enough of a warning?)

The anger in Alberta right now is palpable and should not be under-estimated. A lot of people are out of work and scared. All it would take is the right issue to ignite a fuse that the entire Ottawa establishment might live to regret.

Mark my words.

SeaKingTacco said:
The anger in Alberta right now is palpable and should not be under-estimated. A lot of people are out of work and scared. All it would take is the right issue to ignite a fuse that the entire Ottawa establishment might live to regret.

Mark my words.

Hear him!

Albertans are still Canadians, and will do what Canadians have done forever; bitch, howl and moan about the unfairness of it all, then roll over, bite the pillow, and take it.

Maybe you are right.

But.

This feels like 1982 all over again.

Except Rachel Notley is no Peter Lougheed.

This could get right out of hand.

Sheep Dog AT said:
Will the facade of Trudeau mania dissipate by next election?  I fear the sheople will still vote him in (wasn't the provincial Liebrals enough of a warning?)
Depends if the CPC gets with the times and actually choose someone likeable as leader.

So probably not.

Regardless, as of right now, trudeau is still polling in the 40s and his approval rating is high. Maybe people outside of this board are giving him more than 3 months to get everything done.

A small break from the regularly scheduled quebec bashing 

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/quebec-city-mayor-supports-energy-east-pipeline-but-blasts-incompetent-transcanada-corp

MONTREAL — Unlike his counterparts in metropolitan Montreal, Quebec City Mayor Régis Labeaume supports with the Energy East pipeline project — but he blasted the promoter Tuesday for an “incompetent” sales job.

Labeaume distanced himself from the Montreal mayors who last week came out against the proposed pipeline, saying it presented environmental risks without any economic benefits for their communities.

“I think that in a normal country, all organizations that want to build infrastructure for transporting energy should be able to do it. I am talking about pipelines, but also about electricity transmission,” Labeaume said in an interview.

“I wonder how I would feel if a province or a region in another province prevented Hydro-Québec from building its transmission line. I would feel exactly like the people in the West do now. I understand them.”

He said communities should not expect a windfall just because energy infrastructure crosses their territory. “During its operation, there are no economic benefits,” he said. “It’s the same with Hydro-Québec lines.”

TransCanada Corp.’s proposed $15.7-billion Energy East project would deliver crude oil from Alberta to Quebec and on to New Brunswick. With the 2013 Lac-Mégantic, Que., rail disaster still fresh in people’s memories, Labeaume said pipelines are preferable to trains for transporting oil.

And yet, he is finding it harder to defend Energy East because TransCanada has not been forthcoming with vital information, such as how the pipeline will cross the St. Lawrence River just upstream from Quebec City.

“I have to protect the St. Lawrence, protect the waterways and protect the population from a disaster,” Labeaume said. “I have asked a bunch of questions and I haven’t got any answers.… The people of TransCanada are incompetent in the sense that they are unable to answer our questions.”

Everyone may now resume the regularly scheduled quebec  bashing.

SeaKingTacco said:
Maybe you are right.

But.

I can well imagine as I lived through it.  This is why I hate the Liberals and anything Trudeau.  I would not be surprised to see the Western Canada Concept come Zombie like from the grave.

Sheep Dog AT said:
It might be closer to a case of Obama-osis -- huge letdown among the truest believers after big expectations going in.

SeaKingTacco said:
Maybe you are right.

But.

Especially if their teams don't make it to the Staley Cup playoffs :)

Altair said:
Depends if the CPC gets with the times and actually choose someone likeable as leader.

Being Prime Minister is a leadership job; not a celebrity job.  They are not there to be likeable, but to have the qualities necessary to lead our nation.  This Trudeaumania II is once again more of a fashion statement than a choice of a leader.

Altair said:

So probably not.

Regardless, as of right now, trudeau is still polling in the 40s and his approval rating is high. Maybe people outside of this board are giving him more than 3 months to get everything done.

Well Altair, if there are enough people that follow your logic ?, they will push enough buttons to set sh!t in motion.

Altair said:
A small break from the regularly scheduled quebec bashing 

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/quebec-city-mayor-supports-energy-east-pipeline-but-blasts-incompetent-transcanada-corp

Everyone may now resume the regularly scheduled quebec  bashing.

Transcanada has done pretty good work out here on the preliminary work for their western pipelines. Endbridge and previous Federal governments (Liberal and CPC) ignored or under appreciated the complexity of First Nation engagement in BC and it bit them. The problem with any western pipeline is that it has to pass through significantly unstable mountain areas, geological instability  and areas of potentially severe seismic events. Some of the areas the proposed pipeline passes through would be unreachable for 1/2 the year due to snow (20-60') This is why the gas pipelines would be routed through the sea to Prince Rupert. Going east is much longer, but safer from a geological standpoint. The main problem area for pipelines has been river crossings, but with huge advances in HDD they can avoid most of those issues. Now this report does nothing to help the pipelines or the government case. When they told us the focus for all departments would change from prescriptive regulating at the front end to more compliance and enforcement, I said it was going to cost far more than what was costing us doing the front end work, then they cut budgets..... ::)

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/audit-finds-national-energy-board-failing-to-enforce-pipeline-safety-conditions-1.2752307     

George Wallace said:
Being Prime Minister is a leadership job; not a celebrity job.  They are not there to be likeable, but to have the qualities necessary to lead our nation.  This Trudeaumania II is once again more of a fashion statement than a choice of a leader.

But George, He's going to look soooooo cute tonight on that highly acclaimed public affairs show known as "The Social"*, when he talks about that great topic, mental health, and (if the ads are to be believed) will basically announce that we must do something, take action, when the damn thing is none of his business: It's a provincial responsibility.

In the same vein, he has no business whatever meeting with city mayors, no matter that they used to be Liberal MP's (and yes, I mean Mr. Coderre). Municipal affairs are Provincial. (If I were Premier, I would tell the mayor: you meet with the PM and I will put your damn municipality under tutelage!). And I don't care, here, about the little Tempest in a Tea Pot over Mr. Coderre's view of the Energy East pipeline, which isn't made any simpler when people like mayor Nenshi replies: In both cases, the pipeline is none of their business or area of responsibility. We have an organization that oversee authorization of inter-provincial energy infrastructures: It's the N.E.B., which hasn't had its hearing yet on the matter (they have just released in December their list of Native groups with standing to be heard) and before which it is doubtful that any municipality has standing.

For people interested in Quebec bashing, BTW, you will be happy to learn that all the polls here (formal and informal) show a 60% support FOR the Energy East pipeline, but an 80% support for the proposition that the River crossing must have the top environmental protection available: It is our drinking water here and trust me, you don't want to have to provide bottled water to four and half million people.

However, Mr. Trudeau has spent so little time in Ottawa doing his job that I cannot help but wonder if they are following the advice of Sir Humphrey: "Send the PM on all those jaunts and international conference, then while he is out of the country, the Cabinet Secretary can get on with running the country the way it ought to."

* That great CTV show aimed squarely at upper-middle class stay at home trophy wives with topics such as (just the latest - based on their own website): What We Wore last week; The Latest in Chic Travel Accessories; Fashion Tips: Lessons in Layering; How Long Do You Take to Get Ready in the Morning; or, Where Is the Worse Place to Go on a First Date.

P.S.: Colin: It is a little known fact but the St-Lawrence Valley is an actual seismic activity high spot. The valley is actually a fault between the plate that supports the Canadian Shield and the one covered by the Appalachian mountain ridge. There are on average 400 to 450 earthquake a year in the Montreal region - the large majority of such small level that they feel like a heavy truck driving by - no more. But the return period (probability) for an earthquake of 5.0 and above magnitude is one every forty years (and we had the last one 1988). That is one of the reason they are building a new Champlain bridge BTW. They could have fixed the one already there to its original standard, but it is too complex and expansive to bring it up to current seismic protection levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back