• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PLQ MOD 6 INF

x-zipperhead said:
I didn't think there was an expiry date on your Mod's 1-5, but not positive about that.  I have a friend who re-mustered out of the cbt arms and then did PLQ.  Since his new trade was a support trade he only had to do mods 1-5.  A couple of years later, not being satisfied with his new trade, remustered back to the cbt arms.  Once back in the cbt arms, he required and attended mod 6.  He didn't have to take mods 1-5 over again.

I don't believe there is an expiry date on those quals and even if there is,  I believe you're talking years. 

Everyone does Mod 6, not everyone does Mod 6 part II.  Mod 6 is leadership theory, small party tasks, and other stuff that made up the core of the old JLC course.  Again, everyone does it, to include Air Force and Navy.  Mod 6 part II is roughly equivalent to the old JNCO, although much shorter and with some material cut out. 

I just looked in the current PLQ (L) CTP as downloaded from the Gagetown documentum server, and it doesn't mention anything about mods 1-5 expiring after a given time.  Once you complete them, they'll go on your MPRR like any other qual, so I'd be surprised if they weren't permanent.  Now that being said, I taught on the Comm Res PLQ in Shilo in 2005, and one of the guys from the CFB Shilo MP Section was loaded onto our Mod 6 and Mod 6 Part II at the last minute on the basis that he had taken mods 1-5 years prior and they were supposedly going to expire. 

willy said:
Everyone does Mod 6, not everyone does Mod 6 part II.  Mod 6 is leadership theory, small party tasks, and other stuff that made up the core of the old JLC course.  Again, everyone does it, to include Air Force and Navy.  Mod 6 part II is roughly equivalent to the old JNCO, although much shorter and with some material cut out. 

I did my PLQ (L) in 2002 and I'm sure things have changed many times in those 5 years..  I was Armd then, and yes we had all trades on mod 6.  A year later when my buddy remustered, he didn't have to do mod 6 because he was a support trade (construction engineer).  At that time the mod 6 was the equivalent of JNCO (i.e leadership theory, small party tasks, and act as a  section cmdr in the offense, defence and patrolling ).  At that time the infantry guys then went and did another crse to qual as an inf sec 2ic.

I see my info is kind of dated. 

Just a question reference Block 1 and 2. I was on my PLQ Inf 2 summers ago, I was medically RTU'd off the course, and the subsequently went back overseas. On my course report it says that I need to complete PLQ INF Block 2. I know on my course our schedule was broken down into Block 1 and Block 2 (Basically 6ish weeks for block 1 and 3 weeks for block 2). Now I am back from tour and want to complete this course but my unit is being told by WATC that there is no such thing as block 1 and 2. Which makes no sense because the course I was on, when I got the course report stating two blocks, was in WATC. Basically I am being told right now that whoever wrote up my course report and told me there were 2 blocks is right out of it and im SOL and will have to do the whole course again.

PhilB said:
my unit is being told by WATC that there is no such thing as block 1 and 2. Which makes no sense because the course I was on, when I got the course report stating two blocks, was in WATC. Basically I am being told right now that whoever wrote up my course report and told me there were 2 blocks is right out of it and im SOL and will have to do the whole course again.

I have never heard of block I & II either, that sort of threw me here.  When I did mine in 02 is was just mod 6 (no blocks, phases or parts).  The Infantry guys went and did more training which  I beleive it was a different crse altogether and not refered to as mod 6 block II.  At that time it was the Inf Section 2ic crse IIRC, but not positive as I didn't have to do it.

I did mine also in 06.On mine which was a PLQ land we had infantry guys doing PLQ MOD 6 part 1 (small party tasking etc)with us.Once they had completed that they would only have to do PLQ part 2 which was the field portion.

Yes there are two parts.Once your qualified part 1 you will not have to do it again.On my MPRR it has PLQ mod 6 part 1 (and its code..I can get it after the 18th if you want the course code).

The infantry and the rest of the CF all do part 1.Its the same course.Once you complete it you will have to just move onto course during part 2.

Who is telling you there is no part one and two Philb?

Basically it is my unit and WATC telling me that. Im not sure if it so much a matter of there not being a part one and two as it is WATC not offering a Part 1 and 2 separately. I know before there just Mod 6 then infantry went on to do DP2B which was a 3 week course in which you were assessed on patrolling, defensive, and fibua to a higher standard (by higher standard I just mean shorter times to complete tasks, more automatic fails, higher degree of subject matter knowledge required etc). On my PLQ Mod 6 Inf during the portion that on the schedule was called block 1 we did small party tasks, all the lectures on leadership etc, calling in indirect fire, gun controlling and section attacks. The block 2 was scheduled to be patrolling, defensive, and fibua, exactly like the Mod 6/DP2B was set up. From what I have "heard" Gagetown is offering the PLQ Mod 6 Inf in blocks but WATC is not. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is the case?

I can confirm Gagetown is running it in two blocks.It should be as easy as just getting placed on the course day 1 of part two.I have no understanding of WATC,however I know the army of the east is offering it.That I have seen with my own two eyes.(Infantry)

I can also confirm that we have a member who got RTU'ed during part two,and is going on part 2 alone on the PLQ (land).

Thanks very much RCAC, thats what I figured. Is there anyone out there from WATC that can confirm if this is going on in WATC and if not why? It makes sense to me to just go back and do the block 2. I already passed my patrol but I know I wont get credit for it which is fine. I do not want to go back and redo 6ish weeks of a course which I have already done!

To clarify a couple of points:

1.  There is no expiration date on PLQ (L) Mods 1-5, it is just an urban legend.  Having said that, Mods 5 & 6 are loaded from merit lists.  Therefore, common sense indicates that the member should be loaded on Mod 6 shortly after Mod 5 unless operational reasons dictate otherwise.  However the reality is that many pers are put on Mod 5 before they are ready, they then end up waiting months/years for Mod 6.

2.  Lengths of courses IAW the applicable TPs are:

- PLQ (L) Mod 6 - 29 days, for PRes this can be done in two parts of 12 + 17 days
- PLQ (Inf)        - 44 days, for PRes this can be done in four parts of 11 + 11 + 11 + 11 days

- while parts 1 of PLQ (L) Mod 6 and PLQ (Inf) are essentially the same, the Inf Corps has dictated that only infanteers will complete PLQ (Inf) and that no infanteers will take PLQ (L).

- While the TPs allow both the PLQ (L) Mod 6 and PLQ (Inf) to be conducted in several parts, the optimum timetables include two versions of the course.  The first version is the whole course at once while version two has it scheduled accounting for being in multiple parts.  Therefore, while the content will be the same for all serials, whether designated for Reg F or PRes, the scheduling may differ.  This could cause issues for someone who will not be attending the entire serial.

3.  The DP 2B Inf Sect 2IC course only existed for about a year.  It was intended for those Cpls who had completed PLQ (L), but had not been promoted.  It delivered the delta material between PLQ (L) and PLQ (Inf).  Since this qualification ceased 01 Oct 05, Inf pers who completed PLQ (L) Mod 6 must now complete parts 2, 3 & 4 of PLQ (inf) to become qualified (this is the one exception to comment above).

Hope this helps.

Doug

Standards,

Thank you very much for the instance. So just to confirm, are you saying that should, ideally, be given credit for my mysterious PLQ(INF) Block 1, and course loaded on PLQ (INF) Block 2? Is there a reference for this or other written information? I ask because my chain of command continues to assert that PLQ (INF) is only offered in its complete form and that irregardless of what my course report states I must re-complete the course in its entirety.

Standards said:
To clarify a couple of points:

1.  There is no expiration date on PLQ (L) Mods 1-5, it is just an urban legend.  Having said that, Mods 5 & 6 are loaded from merit lists.  Therefore, common sense indicates that the member should be loaded on Mod 6 shortly after Mod 5 unless operational reasons dictate otherwise.  However the reality is that many pers are put on Mod 5 before they are ready, they then end up waiting months/years for Mod 6.

2.  Lengths of courses IAW the applicable TPs are:

- PLQ (L) Mod 6 - 29 days, for PRes this can be done in two parts of 12 + 17 days
- PLQ (Inf)        - 44 days, for PRes this can be done in four parts of 11 + 11 + 11 + 11 days

- while parts 1 of PLQ (L) Mod 6 and PLQ (Inf) are essentially the same, the Inf Corps has dictated that only infanteers will complete PLQ (Inf) and that no infanteers will take PLQ (L).

- While the TPs allow both the PLQ (L) Mod 6 and PLQ (Inf) to be conducted in several parts, the optimum timetables include two versions of the course.  The first version is the whole course at once while version two has it scheduled accounting for being in multiple parts.  Therefore, while the content will be the same for all serials, whether designated for Reg F or PRes, the scheduling may differ.  This could cause issues for someone who will not be attending the entire serial.

3.  The DP 2B Inf Sect 2IC course only existed for about a year.  It was intended for those Cpls who had completed PLQ (L), but had not been promoted.  It delivered the delta material between PLQ (L) and PLQ (Inf).  Since this qualification ceased 01 Oct 05, Inf pers who completed PLQ (L) Mod 6 must now complete parts 2, 3 & 4 of PLQ (inf) to become qualified (this is the one exception to comment above).

Hope this helps.

Doug

Thanks for the breakdown on the mod 6 inf. Much appreciated.

PhilB said:
Standards,

Thank you very much for the instance. So just to confirm, are you saying that should, ideally, be given credit for my mysterious PLQ(INF) Block 1, and course loaded on PLQ (INF) Block 2? Is there a reference for this or other written information? I ask because my chain of command continues to assert that PLQ (INF) is only offered in its complete form and that irregardless of what my course report states I must re-complete the course in its entirety.

maybe your CoC just doesn't like you  ;D

PhilB, I'm not sure about about the Block 1 and 2 as I have not seen that terminology in referring to PLQ (Inf).  The following may or may not apply to you.

From the DAT document entitled IMPLEMENTATION DIRECTIVE - PRIMARY LEADERSHIP QUALIFICATION - INFANTRY dated Jun 04

DP 2 Infantry Section 2IC
9.  To ensure the continuity for soldiers currently in the process of training through legacy courses, the DP 2 Infantry Section 2IC will remain as a stand alone course.  It will continue to be run with the PLQ-Inf for one additional year.  The DP 2 Infantry Section 2IC will cease 1 October 2005.  Personnel, for whatever reason, who are qualified PLQ (L) but have not completed the DP 2 Infantry Section 2IC at that time shall attend the PLQ-Inf modules 2,3, and 4.

Hopefully it is of some use.

Good day all. I am a reservist going on my mod 6 infantry soon. Are there any tips from the wealth(s) of knowledge out there I can tap into? Also, how long is it exactly as no one can give me a decent timeframe. Thanks guys, have a good one. :warstory:

IIRC MOD 6 INF is 8-9 weeks long while MOD 6 Land is only 6 weeks. I have been told the extra couple of weeks is for confirmation of combat knowledge.

How this helps.

:cheers:

This is for Phil B

if it was recomended that you rejoin the PLQ INF Courseby the CO WATC when you were released from course then it is possible. You would have to look for the next PLQ INF course, and then have your OPS fellows, talk to WATC INF Standards. PLQ INF Pt One is like the PLQ L Pt one.

Pt One is completed after the Small Pty Taskings are complete.Then the remainder of the course is Pt 2

As and instructor here I believe you would benifit if you did the complete course from the beginning, good way to build confidence with your peers on course...just a suggestion

I took MOD 1 and MOD 4 a few years ago and I have just been loaded on this years PLQ 1-5 course.

My question is if I have to retake them?

My MPRR says I have MOD's 1&4 but my OPs Officer seems to think they expire after one year. Is this true?

I though they were broken into MODs so that you didn't have to retake them?

I have searched the DIN but can't find anything one way or the other.

Thanks

Back