• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Please advise on my military career plan.

hansrhee

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello people,
I am a 21-year-old student who is planning to join the Candian army in 2007.
There are three career choices that I am interested in. And, I am willing to stay long enough to get experiences from two of them.
The list of my interest includes:
1.Armoured Soldier: Want to drive military vehicles.

or

2.Infantry Soldier: Physically challenging and I like hard physical work. 

and

3.Musician: What I want to for the rest of my life even after retiring from army.(I'm planning to change to trade after doing my service in one of the last two trades). I need some advice from people in military force who changed their trades. Will you explain any qualification required; stipulation; and how long it takes before chaging the trade?

Besides these reasons I want to join the army to develop qualities like discipline, ability to make smart and effective decisions, strong organization and work ethics.Also there would be opportunities to go abroad and to make friends, and to get experiences only available within military.

Conversely, I often heard strong dislike from people who oppose joining military, especially in U.S. And I saw some people in Toronto(where I live) who oppose the idea of joining military in Canada. I'm sure you probably know this because of Bush administaration and its faults. Whether it is true I don't know. But many people complaining about people getting killed for nothing sounds sad. It probably affects here along with the deployment of Canadian Forces in Afghanistan. Also there are many talks about negative psychological effects;the odds of becoming poor and not being able to find work out of military; any sort of discrimination.

I'm really looking for advice from those who have experiences in Canadian Forces - and perhaps chances to make some acquaintances with people in Canadian Army. Thanks for your time.

Are you looking to join the Reserve's (Part-Time) or Regular Force (Full-Time) ?

- Syed
:cdn:

My opinion would be do what YOU want to do.Problem with going armoured and infantry first is that you will have to OT.It sounds so simple doesn't it? That's the trick.My occupational transfer has been 6 months sitting at my squadron,then it has to make its way around to get a bunch of signatures which usually takes about another three months.And that's it....wait no I forgot.

Then it goes to the BPSO he makes an appointment.
then your file gets sent off to Borden
by this point your file misses where the board sits for that year so you have to wait another year on a list.And if you dint get on the second year it is deleted from the system and you have to go through the whole process again.

Then if your MOC is short per's they could halt all OT's and make you stay (or release if you want).

Do it seem like I'm on a rant? There are reasons.

Personally if I were you join as a musician.Take the time and relax at home and wait for what you really want in life.As I stated before you may find yourself rifleman for years and years (10yrs for my buddy) going the OT method.And then your half way done a career and have to start all over again in musician.

Armoured vehicles and guns are cool,it's my hobby also at home.Living in the field 24/7 where your boss knows you as DRIVER! or rifleman is far from most adults idea of exciting and fun.And as you asked the odds of becoming poor after the army,you ain't rich in the army.I know some guy is going to give me flak for this but we make a living and that's it.One CO always use to say "we make good dam money". no we make a living,he makes good dam money.And I know you guys out there made 75 cents a day class b,but gas wasnt 1.50 and you could buy a bag of chips, pop and a ferrari for a quarter. ;D

I put my OT in last October and it's still not even out of my squadron yet. I finally convinced the army I wasn't colour blind and now a trade I had always wanted opened up to me.

best of luck but I would wait out,recruitment videos' are cool but it's the stuff they don't show that sucks!

Rant over

I'm from Toronto too and I heard the same things people are telling you before I joined (poor, no job after, blah blah blah). 

The fact is, the military foot print in Toronto is rather small, yes there are reserve units and such but still rather small compared to the size of the city.  Given this fact, most people just don't have the knowledge or experience with the military to enter an informed opinion about such matters.  So the best thing to do is to go to CFRC or do some research and get some facts and decide for yourself.  You can change attempt to change opinions with these facts, but at the end of the day it's your career and personal satisfaction on the line.  From my personal experience after providing these facts to members of my social group, their opinion has changed. 

As for poor, job or whatever.  That's all relative.  Although you won't be making CEO dollars, the wages are rather competitive to industry (comparisons with my group who are entering accounting and finance professions have confirmed this).  Industry ultimately holds the winner because there is no cap on how much you can earn, but the averages match up very well.  Job after the military? It's all about how you frame yourself and your skills.  As long as you convey that you have value, then you can get a job.  (Although I have no experience of post military job hunts, this is a general point about finding any job given to us by many industry recruiters at our university). 

Again, in the end is about what you want to do, and how you take advantage of your opportunities.  Many people have done great things in and after the military.  Their passion for their chosen profession is what has guided them to do the best and not the likelihood of payoffs.

Hope that helps.

Currently I am a reservist in the engineers, that is looking to go reg force as an officer. ( >:D) Unfortunately you cannot become an engineering officer unless you are studying engineering in university, eliminating that option for me. I understand all the basics of the army doing my BMQ, and SQ, but have no idea how  infantry or armored soldiers in the reg force really operate. Please help me make an informed decision, other than the recruiting office guidance.

As long as you have an applied sciences degree you can become an Eng.O.

Hello.
I'm a 21-year-old man and planning to join the Army next year. I consider infantry, armoured, or electronic optronic technician.
What I want to ask you is that what is a typical day for a soldier in each trade? Also are you able to pursue your own interest after your duty such as practicing a musical instrument, learning a martial art, learning a new sport,learning a foreign language, etc. Do they have those facility in the base? Since I don't know anyone who has been or is in military I have little knowledge of how things are in the base.
Thanks for your time.

Hans

Trite, I know, but you could use that search button. Just type in the trade you are interested in and comb through the results. The FAQ should also have links to threads about the regular workload of an infantryman / [insert trade].

hansrhee said:
hello

I'm a 21-year-old man and planning to join the Army next year.
good man
I consider infantry, armoured, or electronic optronic technician.
quite the diverse selection
What I want to ask you is that what is a typical day for a soldier in each trade?
depends on the day. I can't speak for the other two trades, but there is no 'typical' Infantry day. Poke around through the Infantry forum, and you'll see that this question has been answered a few times in relation to my Trade.
Also are you able to pursue your own interest after your duty such as practicing a musical instrument,
yes, for the most part. Several troops I know are practicing guitar, drums, bagpipes, etc. Very few are learning the harpsichord, piano, or grand harp, however.
learning a martial art,
almost de rigeur in the Infantry
learning a new sport,
depends on the sport, doesn't it? You won't have much luck learning polo, I'm afraid. Or bull-riding.
learning a foreign language,
whether you want to or not, you will learn smatterings of several languages. I can order beer, say hello/goodbye, order you to stop, ask how much for your sister, and swear in 8 languages. I am fluent in none.
this is heavily frowned upon.
Do they have those facility in the base?
depends on the base.
Since I don't know anyone who has been or is in military I have little knowledge of how things are in the base.
it's said "on base"
Thanks for your time.
ne problema, mon ami! Khoda havez.

Hansrhee,

You might also notice that certain members advertise their background and trades.  If you see a person in a trade you are interested in, you might PM them for a personal opinion. 

Good luck.

(Haha, very entertaining, paracowboy)  :)

Welcome Hans.
While I can add little to what paracowboy has passed along, just remember the basics:

Infantry is the centre of the universe, worshipped by all.

Armour exists solely to support the Infantry.

Electronic Optronic technicians are the guys that fix Geordie's visor on that newer version of Star Trek where the Captain isn't doing every female in the galaxy....green skin, tentacles, three-eyes...it don't matter to James T. Kirk, no siree - - that man has the heart of an infanteer! Now this is relevant because, by the time you get through the recruiting system, BMQ, SQ, and into the DP1 training, there could actually be starships.....which exist solely to support the Infantry.

So, it's good to ask before making such decisions. Glad we could help.

Paracowboy that made my day.

Hans,

There are a few armoured types on this that will more than likely (?) answer you on some Armoured stuff...my opinion might not be worth much ( I am not Regular Force and am currently working in a Headquarters ). 

"Why walk into battle when you can drive"    :blotto:

Hello.
I'm a 21-year-old who is going to join the Army next year.
I just have few questions.

1.When does recruiting take place every year?
2.How long do you have to wait after handing in your application?
3.Do you get paid during the training period?
4.What is the minimum amount of time you are obliged to stay in the army?
5.If desired, how fast can you change the trade?

Thank you for your time.

hansrhee said:
Hello.

Thank you for your time.

did you even try to search your questions?

hansrhee said:

Hello

hansrhee said:

Good luck with that.

hansrhee said:

OK

hansrhee said:

Recruiting Centres are open all year.

hansrhee said:

Months to years, depending on the individual case.

hansrhee said:

Yes

hansrhee said:

There is no minimum, although at times you may not be able to obtain a voluntary release very quickly.

hansrhee said:

It can take years.

hansrhee said:
Thank you for your time.

You're welcome.  Please come again.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/43196/post-362020.html#msg362020

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/43196/post-375001.html#msg375001

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/43196/post-379511.html#msg379511

These are all, almost identical questions by you; all of which have received answers.  Do you even check what you have been posting over the last month and a half to see if you have received any answers to your questions?

George Wallace said:
These are all, almost identical questions by you

Good call

George Wallace said:
all of which have received answers

Most definately

George Wallace said:
Do you even check what you have been posting over the last month and a half

I bet my army.ca coin no

George Wallace said:
if you have received any answers to your questions?

They were??

dileas

tess

Since he doesn't read the answers anyway, and I'm apparently doing this for my own amusement, let me try that again .....

hansrhee said:

Aloha

hansrhee said:

You mother will be proud, finally you'll be out of the basement.

hansrhee said:

Hope it's only a few, I have a short attention span.

hansrhee said:

August 8, between 2 and 4 p.m. (that's 1400 to 1600 hours in "Army time").

hansrhee said:

Before the laughter starts? Or until it ends?

hansrhee said:

We tried that, but found we weren't getting the recruits we truly wanted.  So now we extort money from the true sniperninjawannbees because it's just the FMJ pimpin' style of ride they want, and now that's how we pay the staff.

hansrhee said:

Time is irrelevant, under the right conditions of weather, activity and staff, every day can feel like a lifetime. Some stick around for 25 to life.

hansrhee said:

Most people find all the misery they need in their first trade of choice.  Your mileage may vary. See previous answer for metaphysical explanation of time.

hansrhee said:
Thank you for your time.

No problem, I was waiting for your questions to entertain myself. Since you didn't think the search engine would be useful, I didn't use it either.

Back