• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Platypus" Question

J

Joel85

I recently bought a "Platypus" hydration pack and I noticed it has a rubbery taste to it. I used it a couple times but the taste doesn‘t come out. I tryed using baking soda and lemon juice on my last platypus, and it become very yellow.

Anyone here know how to get the disgusting rubber taste out of it?

Thanks

That‘s odd.. I have a platypus as well and I don‘t
taste anything rubbery.

Is it coming from the bag or the hose? Either
way it has a lifetime warranty so I would get
wheelers to exchange it.

On another note, thanks for the tip on not
using baking sode and lemon juice! :)

I usually clean it with hot water and soap.

Mine had a rubbery taste for the first little while. The best way to get rid of it is just to put more water through it. If the bag is higher quality, you can put some boiling water in it, and that should kill any bacteria that may be lurking in the bag. Once that‘s done, any residual taste just needs to wear itself out.

Not sure how it would work in a platypus, but I used to use those denture-cleaning tablets, in my steel thermos...

ewww, Don‘t use soap to clean it.. Hot water and more water is the only way to clean the inside :)

unless you like the taste of soap :)

Both in my Platypus and my camelback hydration systems, to get rid of that ‘rubbery taste‘, or before you use it if it has been for a while.

I a do is rinse it out with hot, HOT water. Then I put two tablespoons of baking soda (in a 2 liter bladder), and mix it all up. I let that it stand for 2-3 hours. I rinse it all out again with hot hot water.

After that, I hang and let it dry. Once it is dry, then put cold water in it to try.

Another tip........the night before you use it, fill it up, and put it in the fridge overnight. Cold water does seem to taste like anything else.

If this all does work right away....just add some Gadorade crystals in to it, it WILL stain the bladder, but at least the rubber will taste good. UFI, it take four scoops to do two liters.

:warstory:

To clean a hydration system, use some water purification tablets, available at your CQMS. Fill the bladder with hot water, add 3 tablets, then ensure you fill the tube. Let stand a few hours or overnight, then rinse.

Back