• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pilots Awaiting Training Questions

M

maniac779

I had a question or two about the PAT (Pilots awaiting training) phase of a Pilot's career. I've conducted a thorough search of the forums to no avail. So...

- How easy is it to get your OJT of choice? Pre/Post Moose Jaw and AFT? (ie. CFRC Det, in order to be close to girlfriend/fiancee)
- Is skipping SLT via a prior learning assessment common place? (ie. Exemption due to language skills aquired between application and enrollment)
- The courses you need before MJ (ie. Survival training, Aeromedical etc.) Are they run pretty much back to back typically, or "here and there?"
- From what I understand, the standard time for a attach/posting while on OJT is 6 months. Can you get a change of scenery before then?

In addition to these, I have a few related questions as well:

- Have the contracts for all the flight training been renewed as of yet? Althought I am PFT bypassed, I hear Portage is really backed up due to contract issues.
- A question I thought would be easy to find, but wasn't really... Once you are FULLY trained, how long are Sqn. postings? (Ie. If I am posted to a Herc sqn in Trenton, am I there indefinatley until I say I wanna go somewhere else?)
- Tours... I would assume that there are more pilots than tour spots. When you want them, assuming the spots are sourced to your Sqn, is it a matter of putting your name in to go, or is it more of a wait your turn type thing?

That's all for now... I hope someone out there has some answers. I really did look for alot of this info, both on the forums and the DIN.

Thanks alot.

maniac779 said:
I had a question or two about the PAT (Pilots awaiting training) phase of a Pilot's career. I've conducted a thorough search of the forums to no avail. So...

- How easy is it to get your OJT of choice? Pre/Post Moose Jaw and AFT? (ie. CFRC Det, in order to be close to girlfriend/fiancee)

1 CAD does its best to accomodate. Like everything, you give your choices and keep your fingers crossed

- Is skipping SLT via a prior learning assessment common place? (ie. Exemption due to language skills aquired between application and enrollment)
It does happen, but I wouldn't say that it is common place. On my serial, there were 4 guys out of sixty that had reduced stays in SLT.

- The courses you need before MJ (ie. Survival training, Aeromedical etc.) Are they run pretty much back to back typically, or "here and there?"
Both may occur based on schedules. My serial it has been back to back. Other not. You must do AMT prior to the jaw.

From what I understand, the standard time for a attach/posting while on OJT is 6 months. Can you get a change of scenery before then?
Yes, but it will be at your cost.

In addition to these, I have a few related questions as well:

- Have the contracts for all the flight training been renewed as of yet? Althought I am PFT bypassed, I hear Portage is really backed up due to contract issues.
- A question I thought would be easy to find, but wasn't really... Once you are FULLY trained, how long are Sqn. postings? (Ie. If I am posted to a Herc sqn in Trenton, am I there indefinatley until I say I wanna go somewhere else?)
Typically three year tours. However, for some platforms (ie Sea Kings) it wouln't be unussual to spend a large portion of your career in Haifax. (406, 423, Hotef, Warfare school)

- Tours... I would assume that there are more pilots than tour spots. When you want them, assuming the spots are sourced to your Sqn, is it a matter of putting your name in to go, or is it more of a wait your turn type thing?
When the message comes, you can submit your name to a tour.

That's all for now... I hope someone out there has some answers. I really did look for alot of this info, both on the forums and the DIN.

Thanks alot.

How easy is it to get your OJT of choice? Pre/Post Moose Jaw and AFT? (ie. CFRC Det, in order to be close to girlfriend/fiancee)

1 CAD does its best to accomodate. Like everything, you give your choices and keep your fingers crossed

Really? I wasn't aware of that. So there is a chance I could do OJT at 412 Ottawa or am I day dreaming? (Reason I ask is from what I understand 412 is a really small extension of 8 wing.)

Thanks in advance.

MG said:
Really? I wasn't aware of that. So there is a chance I could do OJT at 412 Ottawa or am I day dreaming? (Reason I ask is from what I understand 412 is a really small extension of 8 wing.)

Thanks in advance.

It is possible. It depends on the receiving unit- whether they have space and or something for you to do. If you want to do your time on Ottaw, research a couple of units and submit them to 1 CAD.

Apologies for my previous post. Today I am home buring off some leave. While I was typing I was also juggling a three year old, and a 11 month old.

Thanks Bograt. It would be a great situation for me because my wife is due in April and I literally live at the end of runway 25 here in Ottawa. Of course I have a long way to go before OJT but it is great to know. Thanks again.

Flying tours are 4-5 years. You'll barely upgrade to Aircraft Captain in 3 years, let alone crew commander.

Also, for tours, it depends on your Sqn. TacHel generally deploys as a Sqn whereas MH deploys as Air Detachments. If your Det goes, you will go unless you're spoken for (ie courses, etc and are unavail to deploy). There's a lot of factors, not wanting to go isn't a reason to opt out of going, if you've got the quals that are needed, you're going whether you like it or not. On the trip I just got back from, my AC was the 423 Sqn Unit Flight Safety Officer, but he was the only avail crew commander, so he went sailing. I was called the day before the ship left because I was the only co-pilot able to go on short notice.

I did Sea Survival in June of 2001, AMT in Oct of 2001 and SERE in Jan of 2002. So, yes, they're broken up usually, at least they were when I went through.

I know they try and get the AMT and Sea survival courses one after the other.  They did it when I went through and seem to be going back to it, at least during the summer months.  Best time to get those done are when you are on OJT.  You can at least get your BSERE out of the way as well.

WRT your language profile, if it is not up to date, and you are sure that you can get at least BBB w/o the course, go to the language school in your area.  Most bases have them.  Otherwise, try the PSO.  Ask to go through your testing prior to SLT.  The only problem is, unless you have expired, you need to put in 30 hrs of instructional time to be allowed to take the exams.  Not sure what the scoop is if you don't have a profile to begin with.  I would guess that it would be treated the same as someone whose profile has expired.

For those who have gone through PFT/BFT, is it permissible for candidates to live off base while on course?

If so, is a commute from the Winnipeg area to Portage reasonable?

Cheers

infamous_p said:
For those who have gone through PFT/BFT, is it permissible for candidates to live off base while on course?

If so, is a commute from the Winnipeg area to Portage reasonable?

Cheers

In the summer, the drive (one-way) from west Winnipeg to Southport is, at best, an hour.

So yes, one is permitted to live in Winnipeg during PFT? Is this a common occurrence among candidates?

infamous_p said:
So yes, one is permitted to live in Winnipeg during PFT? Is this a common occurrence among candidates?

Keeping in mind that I went through training awhile back, but living in Winnipeg for PFT probably isn't the best move.  The course is just much too short and you'd probably have a hard time finding someone to rent for you during that period.

Even BFT isn't that long.  Living in shacks during that period allows students quicker access to each other and the facilities after hours if you want to get some work done away from distraction.  You also don't have to worry about the extra things like what you are going to cook for dinner and having to clean your place and shop for groceries.  BFT, especially, can be quite work intensive and that extra time spent going from A to B could be better spent hitting the books.

Back