• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ph.D infantry soldiers

There are a lot of degree holders in the reserves anyway, myself included.  Working on masters, than PH.D and a buddy is working on Phd.D.  It's not that big of a deal.  I chose to be NCM because I push enough paper in my civilian job.  To tell you the truth I don't really see the difference between being a trades person and a degree holder.  There's more than a couple in Comms who are Engineers.   

V

I'm not going to overly comment on the whole degree "requirement" for officers (as it would be improper to comment on official policy, and would never do that in here  ::)) other than to say that two of the best leaders I have ever had the privilege of serving with did not have degrees. They both have one now, but only did so because they wanted to progress past Capt (both now Maj, one had better be commanding an Inf Bn in the relatively near future). They were excellent leaders looong before they got degrees and getting a degree will not change that.

Yes, I am working on my degree now, but not because I want one. I want the Queen's Commission, so I can sort some sh!t out. The degree, to me, is secondary. Oh, and if anyone is wondering, I'm not taking one of the "useful" degrees so I can port out directly to the civy world (Military and Strategic Studies). When I retire, I'm going to bloody retire, not work for some flat-face company.

In a couple of years when I get to return to the real world from our little peninsula, I will have people working with me, both above and below in the food chain, with more TI, more education, less TI, almost no education and all the combos in between. Most will be good at what they do (a few will not be). I came into the CF with 2 diplomas, both of which came in handy, but not directly (electronics Technologist and Level 1 Cartographer) trade related. They certainly did not make me better at my trade (any Veh Tech that has worked with me over the years can tell you that).

If you have a degree, and CFRG recognizes it as applicable to the officer trades, then your employment options just happen to be wide open. My advice, pick the trade (NCM or Officer) that most appeals to you. If your background helps out, even better (I can read maps and navigate like you wouldn't believe, which is a skill far too many are lacking. Stupid GPS). And like was mentioned earlier; if, after a few years, you no longer want to do that particular job any longer, well that's why we have OT's and commissioning plans.

TCBF said:
- As it is, we have far too many people in the CF who can give you the square root of a jar of pickles, but who have no idea how to open it.

:D

Hi,

The first Platoon Sgt that I had in Recruit Depot in 1956 had a grade 3 education, and a row of WW2 and Korea medals that wouldn't quit. He also knew far more about the army and life in general that any 6 occifers with degrees could ever hope to learn.

Drummy

Drummy said:
Hi,

The first Platoon Sgt that I had in Recruit Depot in 1956 had a grade 3 education, and a row of WW2 and Korea medals that wouldn't quit. He also knew far more about the army and life in general that any 6 occifers with degrees could ever hope to learn.

Drummy

I'm absolutely convinced that's true, but I doubt it'd stand today. Yes, our NCOs still know a crapload more about life than a just-graduated ring-knocker, but I don't think the comparison is adequate with today's world. But I still agree with your point.

But what about officers like Billy Bishop? This guy was an officer with a degree (from RMC, too  ;D) and he did a lot for his men and probably knew at least as much about life and the military as anyone else. Ok, so he was an exception... but you get my counterpoint, right?

Wookilar said:
I want the Queen's Commission, so I can sort some sh!t out.
Sorry it took so long to type a response; I've been laughing......hysterically. Thanks, and good luck  ;)

Uhhhh - What IS the square root of a jar of pickles? Can I open it with all my extra charge bags?

pickles don't have square roots
& yes, you can open the jar with your charge bags, just use em by increments :)

geo said:
pickles don't have square roots
& yes, you can open the jar with your charge bags, just use em by increments :)

What is this increments you speak of? You cant just use all of them?

While completing one of my undergrads I had a classmate in his late eighties. He would take two courses a semester and planned to grad in 1999. He started his undergrad started just as the Second world war broke out. Got the family started after and returned to school just in time for Korea. Service with various peace keeping missions continued to interupt his completion. One of his more memorable quotes after a lecture was 'so that's what I was doing'. A second person I  know, similar situation rose to become professor emeritus of a history department after working his way up the ranks during the war. In a couple of other classes my study cohort was usually composed of either regular forces personal up grading or reserve personal finishing their program of study, go figure, we were always at the top of the class. Now trying to get in a Masters program and I am being counselled that "are you not a little old to take this on". In conjunction with some of the above posts "you can be the most educated academic in the world BUT if you cannot coherently explain your thoughts your are as useful as tits on a bull". I was lucky we had a PhD in Nuclear Physic's as a plt. oc and a gifted talker he was.

we had a Troop Commander who was a nuclear physicist @ 5RGC

doin' my masters part-time while servin' as one of the unwashed masses.  And my schedule is quite busy.  Thing is: I've lucked out to have the opportunity to work with some of the best CF dudes ever ...but, the smartest guys I meet are typically the least "educated".  My current theory: education has no relation to intelligence.  There's a lot to be learned from those around you.  The extra readings and longer essays of a 'masters' does not make you smarter than anyone else.  Most ncms I've met are more than capable of this level of education; they simply lack the means, availability, finances, prerequisites or desire to complete such tasks. 

I remember a story about when I was on a TA signals course way, way back. The Regular instructor (sergeant) was giving a lesson on battery management, but was having difficulty in explaining the make-up of electricity. A Rifleman politely corrected the sergeant but the regular wasn't too pleased to be shown up by a mere private soldier.

"I suppose in civvy street I'd call you Doctor?"

"No sergeant, its actually Professor"  :)

To my humble opinion, I think that if you have higher education, It does not implied that you have to be officer. If you like NCM work..which is totally different from an officer work, then be it.

I have a Friend who is now Sgt. and just completed his notary courses. and he was offered a Officer position. His answer: I'm here to get the job done...I would not be happy as an officer.

And i remember a course of leadership I had a couple of years ago. We had some canoe (not sure in English) and our section commander was trying to teach on canoing technique and one of my section buddy was like just smiling and having a ball and the instructor got pissed about it. He asked my buddy  why was he smiling like this.

his response: "Sir, I just graduated from a maritime institute and I think that you are teaching the current thing all wrong."

The face the instructor did was priceless.

Always a big problem when you let an Officer teach technique courses.

Which goes to show that " he may be smart, just not that smart!" :)

I see nothing wrong with wanting to be a grunt even though you have an education.  I'm about  to join the infantry, I'm 35 and  I have a B.Sc., majored in chemistry. I could go Direct Entry Officer Program, but I have zero desire to be an officer. Everyone looks at me funny when I tell them I'd rather start  out a private  :eek:  Why? Not everyone has the interest or need to be in charge, what do you want out of a career in the military? My goals are best served by starting at the bottom. Why do people assume that working man equals stupid? I have a certificate in motor vehicle repair as well,  people would ask me what a chem major is doing fixing cars, "duh! maybe I enjoy it!"  Do what makes you happy, life's too short.

Frederik G said:
But what about officers like Billy Bishop? This guy was an officer with a degree (from RMC, too  ;D) and he did a lot for his men and probably knew at least as much about life and the military as anyone else. Ok, so he was an exception... but you get my counterpoint, right?
Erm, Fred, Billy Bishop left RMC before graduating for one, and for two, RMC didn't offer degrees at that time. lol. Didn't you learn ANYTHING during FYOP? ;D

Big Foot said:
Erm, Fred, Billy Bishop left RMC before graduating for one, and for two, RMC didn't offer degrees at that time. lol. Didn't you learn ANYTHING during FYOP? ;D

I was so sleep-deprived and tired during FYOP I don't think I learned anything in any area of knowledge.

Big Foot said:

My dad graduated from McGill (served with McGill Battery) before going to RMC in the '30s... correct, not a degree issuing institution way back then.

Back