• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pets

DrSize

Inactive
Reaction score
What about dogs????  my dog I veiw as my baby and I am sure i am closer to my dog than 99.9% of parents are to their kids....Do they have dog watchers or a dog kennel or something????

if a single mother would have to make arrangements for her kids to be taken care of then i doubt there are facilities for dogs.   just a hunch.

DrSize said:
What about dogs????   my dog I veiw as my baby and I am sure i am closer to my dog than 99.9% of parents are to their kids....Do they have dog watchers or a dog kennel or something????
Do you have a good ol' friendly neighboor?

When I go on course or a field ex I take my cat to NS so my parents can look after him.

ringo_mountbatten said:
if a single mother would have to make arrangements for her kids to be taken care of then i doubt there are facilities for dogs.   just a hunch.

Well it is a whole lot easier to care for a dog than a kid.....I think it would be a good idea to have somewhat of a dog kennel on the bases.  I am sure alot of members have dogs and it would be great if they could be looked after while they are training.  All you would really need is someone to feed them and let them out to goto the bathroom and excercise.....

I know there will definitely not be allowed any pets during Basic but I was wondering after you are posted to a regiment, what are the rules for that?

I have a tarantula that I would like to bring with me, would there be a problem with that? It's in a small glass tank...

Cheers

Officially, there are no pets allowed in the barracks.  Unofficially, I know a few people who kept small creatures (a few fish, a frog) in the locker during inspection and out during regular hours.  Depends on where you are posted mostly.  If you live out you can certainly have all the pets you want.

Okay, thanks... so is it a big hassle to get my own place? Should I find a few other guys to split rent with maybe?

I'd like to bring my spider 'cause she's pretty awesome... :)

Cheers

Usually, depending on your trade, you can live out once you get to your first posting.  So, you will have to finish your QL3 course and show up at your first base.  What trade are you going anyway?  Some of the infantry will have a six month rule of living on base after being posted.  Sure, lots of people will find a house to share with a couple or three others.  Just make sure you tell them about your little friend as some people are quite phobic about spiders.  ;D

I'm applying for 043... do you know the rules for that? I go to Gagetown for the QL3, no?

http://www.geocities.com/spraypaintjunkie/spider1.jpg - it's a big picture...

Cheers

In the combat arms (and some other trades) you tend to be gone alot. Have you thought about proper care for your pet when your gone (chances are those you room with will be gone with you). I have seen some horror scenes years back. If you can not be 100% sure of proper are don't take on a pet. I now have 2 dogs now but would of never thought about getting a pet as a single member in the infantry.

Pro Patria

Sorry, I don't have a clue regarding living in/out in Gagetown.  X Royal makes a good point, people have to be ready to make the committment to the pet for the span of their life.  Since you have your pet already you have to make sure you make arrangements for when you are unavailable.  Don't wait until the last minute to do so.  Not sure if you spider misses you when you're gone  ;D but this is probably alot less of a problem than a dog, for example.

Good luck.

Well, I've already arranged for my friend to take care of her while I am away training and once I get my own place with some people - which is my plan - then I will get her transported somehow. She only eats once, twice, a week. Crickets are hella cheap too!

Is there apartments specifically for soldiers or do you just find a civilian one?

Cheers

I want a giant turantula, throw it in your foot locker and scare the shit out of the DI when he goes to open up the unlocked locker  :dontpanic:

But he'd probably quickly squish the poor guy :(

You'll want a "Goliath Bird Eater" haha, it has an 11inch legspan and weighs a quarter pound - obviously, the largest breed of tarantula. As for the temperment, I have not the slightest clue so possibly the spider would jump on to the DI's face before he had a chance.... :p

Cheers

Patrick H. said:
Well, I've already arranged for my friend to take care of her while I am away training and once I get my own place with some people - which is my plan - then I will get her transported somehow. She only eats once, twice, a week. Crickets are hella cheap too!

Is there apartments specifically for soldiers or do you just find a civilian one?

Cheers
first and foremost, anything with less than two legs or more than four is an instrument of the Devil and must DIE! Pet spiders, sheesh. Any spider big enough to shoot is an affront to nature.

Secundus, I don't recommend pets for a single troop. It's not really fair to the critter (although I can ake exceptions in the case of creepy-crawlies.) What happens if your buddy decides he doesn't feel like feeding your pet? Or gets sent away?

Thoid, apartments are civvie. Barracks are military. You want to move out of the shacks, you gotta go apartment hunting on the town. Howsomever, when I was being posted out here to the Holy Land of Alberta, single troops were being allowed to move into apartments on Base in Pet. So, once out there, go to Housing and look into it.

Pet spiders ::) Get a dog, ya freak!  ;D

I hate dogs (exception being German Sherperds), foul beasts... been bitten twice.  If I could I would punt the smallest ones 60 yards if I had the chance.

I'll take a tarantula over a dog anyday, specially one thats biggest then a dinner plate  :D

paracowboy said:
first and foremost, anything with less than two legs or more than four is an instrument of the Devil and must DIE! Pet spiders, sheesh. Any spider big enough to shoot is an affront to nature.

Pet spiders ::) Get a dog, ya freak!   ;D

I have to say I agree with that one!  I had a room mate once who brought one of those critters home.  I had a very large phone book, and said if I EVER saw it out of it's little container.....I would squish it.  No discussion involved!

Hahaha... Man, it costs .20 per week to feed my spider.. I'm so much of a freak as I am CHEAP...  ;D

Cheers

For the record....dogs are the coolest companions ever. Can't imagine a spider flopping down beside you on the couch to sleep...  :eek:

Back