• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Petawawa Troops Afghanistan-bound

Armymedic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
Here we go again. One short yr since some returned from overseas, (about 290 days in my case)
:cdn:

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/EdmontonSun/News/2005/01/27/pf-911672.html

Troops Afghanistan-bound

By CP

CFB TRENTON -- Members of the Canadian military will be heading to Afghanistan today for a six-month tour of duty. The Department of National Defence, Land Force Central Area, announced yesterday that 135 soldiers will leave from CFB Trenton. They are the first of a 700-person task force to participate in the third rotation of troops for Operation Athena.

Another seven flights will be leaving Canada over the next three weeks, said Capt. Julie Brazeau, a public affairs officer.

Exact dates cannot be released for security reasons, said Brazeau.

The bulk of the task force is comprised of soldiers from CFB Petawawa.

They will be part of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force of about 9,500 troops from 38 countries, and will be stationed at Camp Julien in Kabul.

The force's mandate is to help local authorities maintain security in and around Kabul so that the Afghan Transitional Authority and UN agencies can function in a safe and secure environment.

Brig.-Gen. Marc Lessard, commander of Land Force Central Area, will be on hand to see off the troops.

Following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in the United States, Canada committed air, land and sea forces to the international campaign against terrorism.

:cdn:

I don't leave until one of the last flights, but 1/3 of the team I am working, with and roughly 20 of my friends and coworkers from 2 Fd Amb are heading out today.

Before you post, remember flight timings and destinations are OPSEC

PPCLI OR RCR THIS TIME, I KNOW IT SHOULD BE RCR, BUT IM NOT SURE... :cdn:

Well I'm almost in the same boat.....

Did Op Palladium Roto 13 296 days ago.....

Now on stand by (5% list) to go as of Monday....the last 5% list is going.

At this rate I'll be there by next week!   :D

Regards

You know I really don't understand by 2VP has been shafted (bias opinon) again.  If the RCR got back about a year ago why not send some fresher troops who are chomping at the bit.  (yes I do realize there is a Rotation).

the RCR's who are going this time are 1 RCR, who haven't had a unit tour since Kosovo(yes Bravo and Charles were gone last year but...), we're sending Duke's and Recce, and if i'm not mistaken 2VP went to bosnia just a little while ago???

Well that makes more sense then.  Thanks for clearing that up.  2VP was on Roto 13 (if I remember correctly).

It's not a full 1 RCR unit tour, it's one company. The same size we sent to Bosnia last year and a little less than what we sent to Afghanistan.

As for me, I"ve been on and off the boat 3 times now, just found out that they cut Coy HQ and I'm back on the 10% or whatever they're calling it, just 2 days before I flew out.

On the bright side, all my kit is IN Afghanistan so that leaves a better chance of getting there(eventually).

On a worse note, we all burnt our annual leave and got cut right after we got back  :blotto: goodtimes.

No life like it I tell ya.

CFL said:
Well that makes more sense then. Thanks for clearing that up. 2VP was on Roto 13 (if I remember correctly).

2 VP did roto 7 and roto 12 in Bosnia. Pet was roto 13. (I remember because the roto 12 medics we replaced did not leave a good impression. 1 Fd Amb has really high morale   ::) )

As for Pers Tempo, HSS have 5 of us who were in Bosnia including our CSM. Not bad when you compare the E and I c/s who are about 2/3 Bosnia roto 13 veterans. I suspect the RCD and NSE are about 1/2, but I don't have those numbers.

GerryCan said:
It's not a full 1 RCR unit tour, it's one company. The same size we sent to Bosnia last year and a little less than what we sent to Afghanistan.

As for me, I"ve been on and off the boat 3 times now, just found out that they cut Coy HQ and I'm back on the 10% or whatever they're calling it, just 2 days before I flew out.

I heard about this bull when your CSM was telling some of my RCR team mates. What crap.   Also I know of an MSE Op who got told Monday he was going. He's leaving on main 4.

If you get over GC, you're not gonna be eating cake on gateguard in Julien like you did in Drvar   ;D.

Well let's hope not, atleast not yet! ;D

And yes, Drvar was a great place, sad to see what the locals made of it after we left. It looked like a Gypsy camp.

Back