• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Percular case in terms of my fitness.

TTB4570

Inactive
Reaction score
Having gone through the Relevant threads prior to posting this I have but one question:
Why is that i can throw on a 60kg rucksack, grab a hunting rifle and hike 15km non-stop through mountainous terrain, but i cannot manage a 3k run in under 16 minutes? I can't seem to sustain a long stretch of running at one time (500meters or more)

Is it an issue with my cardio, or is it more of a pacing sort of thing?
What can I do to rectify this?

Thank you for your time (collectively, that is).

TTB4570 said:
Having gone through the Relevant threads prior to posting this I have but one question:
Why is that i can throw on a 60kg rucksack, grab a hunting rifle and hike 15km non-stop through mountainous terrain, but i cannot manage a 3k run in under 16 minutes? I can't seem to sustain a long stretch of running at one time (500meters or more)

The only way to get better at running is to run. Run more. Do a combination of distance work to slowly push your max distance farther (get used to doing 8-10km), and high intensity intervals work to improve your ability to suck in and utilize oxygen.

TTB4570 said:

The relationship between rucking and cardiovascular fitness, is like that between 6th cousins.  One of the reasons the BFT was ditched, plenty of people could pass the BFT, but if they were required to do say a section attack..........

I have to ask, what are you taking with you on these mountainous jaunts that causes your ruck to weigh 60kgs? The only time I carried that much on ops was either when used as a mule for the mortars/MG's or carrying our own demolitions to a task site.

Surely you mean 60 LBS.

Towards_the_gap said:
I have to ask, what are you taking with you on these mountainous jaunts that causes your ruck to weigh 60kgs? The only time I carried that much on ops was either when used as a mule for the mortars/MG's or carrying our own demolitions to a task site.

Surely you mean 60 LBS.

Doh, I meant 60 pounds(regularly) but for hunting trips, I'm usually the one stuck carrying the pack full of water... and a smaller school backpack filled with water strapped to the front (up to 120lbs). Or the pack filled with compressed clothing, food, a couple boxes of 30-06, and generally a tent as well.

So i got rucking down. But the general agreement is to hit the track and treadmill more, and less time hiking the burke?

TTB4570 said:
So i got rucking down. But the general agreement is to hit the track and treadmill more, and less time hiking the burke?

To make life simple, yes.  There are plenty of threads here with info, and LOTS of info in the cloud, if you want to get into the details.

But don't over think it. Just run. Increase it a little bit each time, then run up and down hills. Don't push yourself too hard, you'll just injure yourself. The PT standard is so abysmally low to get in nowadays you probably won't have a problem (you typed this message, ergo you have a pulse = high probability of passing the entry PT test).

And get some nicer hunting buddies.

TTB4570 said:
Doh, I meant 60 pounds(regularly) but for hunting trips, I'm usually the one stuck carrying the pack full of water... and a smaller school backpack filled with water strapped to the front (up to 120lbs). Or the pack filled with compressed clothing, food, a couple boxes of 30-06, and generally a tent as well.

I would avoid the treadmill if at all possible and utilize a track / pavement / trails instead. I used one during a Fort Mac winter because it was -40 all the time, and it played a pretty dirty trick on me when I finally hit the pavement again. I *thought* I could run 8km in under 35 minutes, turns out I wasn't even close...

ballz said:
I would avoid the treadmill if at all possible and utilize a track / pavement / trails instead. I used one during a Fort Mac winter because it was -40 all the time, and it played a pretty dirty trick on me when I finally hit the pavement again. I *thought* I could run 8km in under 35 minutes, turns out I wasn't even close...

Treadmills can be effective, if they are properly maintained (ie, belts tightened regularly, no power loss with the motor, and motor is properly calibrated), and you set it at a slight incline.  I think they are more useful for sprints and hill intervals, since they keep you honest and at a consistent pace.

Hatchet Man said:
Treadmills can be effective, if they are properly maintained (ie, belts tightened regularly, no power loss with the motor, and motor is properly calibrated), and you set it at a slight incline.  I think they are more useful for sprints and hill intervals, since they keep you honest and at a consistent pace.

There are definitely better ways than what I did, that's for sure. I was in my mid-teens and set a goal of 8km in 35 minutes, so I'd set the pace on the treadmill at the appropriate speed setting and just run as long as I could until eventually I hit 35 minutes straight at that pace. No incline, no variations in speed, nothing. It at a gym and I know there was no maintenance on that stuff done there because I worked there.

Big waste of a lot of kilometres and I haven't gotten back on one since. Now I go well out of my way to find an indoor track in the winter time if there isn't one nearby. Luckily I've learned to train a little smarter since then.

I've always taken an easy to remember ~5km route that can remain the same all the time and run it, use an app like runkeeper and listen to tunes on your iphone... see how you did, and aim to beat it every time.  (I find around 80-90 BPM songs are a great pace for me)

Back