• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Passing Out Parade

StevenPeece

Inactive
Reaction score
Just like your service number, your passing out parade is something you never forget:

This was undoubtedly one of the very best days of my life and one that will proudly stay in my memories forever.

It was a warm sunny morning in October 1983 and we spent some time making last minute preparations to our kit, just checking everything over and making sure it was immaculate. We used the buddy buddy system to inspect each others lovats uniform and removed any stray pieces of fluff with cello tape. The feeling that morning was warm and friendly and our faces shone with pride. We had just completed one of the most arduous and challenging infantry courses in the Western World and were in the closing stages of passing out as Royal Marines.

Looking back, from that moment in time, we'd spent the majority of basic training looking on at the Kings Squad marching by. They walked tall and looked proud and immaculate. Their movements were crisp and their drill boots crunched instep on the tarmac roads as they smartly marched passed. "That's were I want to be." I used to think.

Now we were the Kings Squad. We'd made it through and were Royal Marines Commandos.

It was raining during the morning so we went through the presentation process of the Green Berets inside the drill sheds. I can't really explain the immense feeling I had that morning when I removed my training beret and cast it away into a gash bin before placing my green lid onto my head.

A short while later, we marched smartly away and changed into our blues uniforms. We marched onto the parade square. We were immensely proud and ready to take our place in a commando unit or anywhere in the world they chose to send us at the drop of a hat.

The arms drill went well without error. We'd practiced it so many times that it just came naturally. As we marched passed the crowd of parents, I casually glanced at my family. I could see them trying to pick me out and scanning up and down the ranks that marched by. It was a great feeling.

Near the end, the Adjutant came onto the parade square on his horse. He did a number of salutes with his razor sharp sword as he presented our troop to the inspecting officers.

Suddenly, the horse unleashed a generous pile of manure onto the tarmac. It was just before the adjutant gave us the command to advance in review order. We started to advance, the horse manure was getting closer. Then we sighed with relief as we halted just a couple of paces away from it and the Adjutant gave the order to present arms!!!

Then we dressed back into close order and the adjutant gave us the order to march off the parade square.

FABULOUS..... ;D

Regards

Steve

Back