• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing for Basic [MERGED]

Since neither one of you know, how about you move on to something else ?

Dead thread time again,

I was going to ask the CFRC these questions, but I figure that lots of other people might wonder about the same things prior to leaving, and I have not been able to find the answers despite a fairly robust search. Some questions have been touched upon but the answers were either not directly on topic, or stale.

I have three sets of questions. Those relating to CANEX items, those relating to bring from home clothing and those relating to items not listed.

So to anyone at or recently at St Jean for BMOQ,

On the kit list on the CURRENT instructions,

Q 1) For ALL of the following section would it be better to find it and bring it, or buy it at CANEX St Jean (I arrive Sat Evening)?

Plastic soap dish, same color as toothbrush case
Plastic toothbrush case, same color as soap dish
Toothpaste
Mouth wash, max size 750ml
Dental floss
Non disposable razor with blades,
Shaving cream or gel, can
Deodorant
Shampoo, max size 750ml
Laundry detergent, max size 2 Liters either liquid or powder
Inexpensive watch
Shower sandals
Lint brush
Alarm clock
Facecloth, hand towel and bath towel, DARK COLOUR
Iron
Photo in picture frame, 5’’X 7’’ ***Obviously, I will bring a picture - but should I just buy a standard frame there?***

Q 2) I ask this based on the idea of everyone having the same standard stuff. The instructions say that the majority of this can be purchased at the CANEX, but do they have ALL this stuff available? (Will I be screwed by not bringing any of it?) And does one get it before the course (Sunday) or on the visit in Week 0?

Q 3) Is it a good/bad idea to bring a shaving brush/soap instead of shaving gel or foam? Will the instructors allow it and how well does it perform in the field?

Q 4) What about scent? I like to use an scentless deoderant and soap (old habit from camping in bear country) and it seems an intelligent move in this area too. But does it matter? That is, will I catch trouble for having an almond scented soap or similar?

Q 5) The following seems like items I should bring. Am I correct in assuming that the primary objective is to provide clothing suitable for 2-3 days of week 0 prior to getting kit (and then packed away) + optional use for weekends/leave and between courses + PT exercises/Water PT Only?

Q 6) Swimsuit - are my surfing shorts ok? Or should I buy a new pair of nice boring black shorts? Anyone want me to bring my swim club speedos? QM seems to issue a pair, so is this even an issue?

Q 7) Should I bring a pair of running shoes + a pair of cross trainers OR two pairs of running shoes OR two pairs of runnning shoes (1 wet 1 dry) + one pair of cross trainers? That is, will I catch trouble for having three pairs of shoes, or for using running shoes as my "sport shoes"? This is all in an effort to be able to have a dry pair/wet pair of proper running shoes.

Civilian sports clothing (shorts, bathing suit, T-shirts)
Wide belt
Seasonal jacket
Casual dress pants
Casual dress shirt with collar (short-sleeved in summer permitted)
Casual dress shoes
Casual sweaters
Underwear (cotton)
Bathing suit provided by QM
Sports socks (cotton)
Running shoes
Sport shoes (non marking soles)
Sport short

Q 8) Some items don't seem to be listed anymore such as locks, starch, boot bands, hangers. Am I correct in assuming they are either issued, bought in week 0 CANEX vistit or not required - depending on the item?

Q 9) Laptop/cell phone/mp3 - how good/bad an idea? I know that they are locked up at first and only allowed when instructors see fit, but how much hassle vs benefit am I looking at in bringing them?

This thread makes little baby Jesus cry......

How did i ever manage to join before the internet

:brickwall:

CDN Aviator said:
This thread makes little baby Jesus cry......

How did i ever manage to join before the internet

:brickwall:

I bet you just followed the joining instructions, asked your CFRC any questions, and hoped for the best.  Thats what I did.  How did we ever do it?  We must've been crazy!

Bring what your told to bring, buy what your told to buy.  Bring a cell phone and MP3 player, ditch the laptop.

The instructions suggest a choice between buying and bringing, but are not clear on the subject. I would rather not screw up and plan to buy something the CANEX does not sell. Similarly, my other questions are rooted in issues that were not completely clear. Yes, I can get by without asking, and I would survive, somehow.  :) Asking questions however, seems appropriate in this forum. It also seems a good way to help avoid making stupid mistakes. I have already learned many things reading these boards that I likely would not have thought about prior to screwing it up.

I have checked to see if these answers are provided elsewhere, they do not seem to be. This is the thread referenced in the FAQ for this subject.

As to life prior to the internet, I personally bore witness to that lawless time, and questions like this were asked back then as well. The only difference is that milnet provides a comparably more reliable and robust, and recorded list of the answers.

Thank you again to those who offer to help out,

RCDtpr said:
Anything you will NEED for course can be obtained at the Canex.

Thanks. The wording of the joining instructions was not clear.

I still would like to hear from people as to whether they feel it is better to try to bring everything on the personal items list, or simply buy it all at CANEX and only bring clothing.

This is getting rediculous.

You are given a list and instructions of what to bring in your JOINING INSTRUCTIONS.  If you have taken your Stupid Pill instead, and don't know how to follow directions, you are going to FAIL.

On that note, this topic doesn't need to degenerate any more than it has just recently.

The usual Caveats apply.

LOCKED!

I realize this is probably an incredibly stupid question but i am quite curious so I thought I would ask it anyways. I was reading the list of kit issued for basic training on the CFLRS joining instructions and was wondering what happens to it at the end of training? I am assuming you return some of it? Do you keep any for future training? I am heading into an Air Force trade and thought some of the equipment would be quite useless after basic unless I was deployed I guess.

I am quite curious!

Thanks

For chair force, they take your muklucks, rain coat and pants, BEW, gas mask, one duffle bag, bush hat, tac vest, helmet, canteens, cc-bag back.

You will get rid of most of the army stuff (except your rain coat).

Army guys will keep just about everything.  Air Force and Navy guys will return just about everything that is green as you wont have an operational requirement for that kit on a day to day basis.  If you find yourself tasked to a situation where you need army kit again, it will be re-issued to you again on a temporary basis.

When I left St. Jean last year I had to drag two duffle bags STUFFED with items and my rucksack STUFFED with kit.  The only things I kept was pt gear, combats, rain gear and CF's.  I will get reissued my ruck when I need it along with tac vest and anything else they want me to have.  I'll tell you it was a pain to haul all that crap out to supply but it was better than having to pack it up for CMTT :)  The Navy people had about as much as I did going back to supply and the army guys had to pack up everything, minus tac vest for CMTT.

I have applied as infantry and was wondering about the kit as well.

So for infantry, the kit we get issued is ours for the whole time we are in the military? I always thought that we didnt get our actual gear until we were with our unit.
Also, at the end of BMQ and "if" we get to go home for a couple weeks, do we have to bring our whole kit with us? If I get to go home I want to bring my jacket that I get with my kit and maybe some shirts, thats about it. Would suck to have to carry all that stuff around.

Bomber12:

Most of the kit you get on basic will stay with you for a VERY long time, my husband still has kit that was issued to him when he joined 18 years ago, as styles and kit changes you will get new stuff.  I think as you get further into your training you will get a ruck sack that is made to form your body.  Mabye someone else can clarify that.
As for after BMQ, normally, you will be shipped to your next base or further training, with all of your kit and put into shacks for SQ and trades training.  At that point you can take leave and secure your kit in your room prior to leaving.
Now, keep in mind, when you do go home, you can not wear your kit mixed with civies so there really isn't any need to take home your jacket unless you are taking home your whole uniform to wear, for some reason.
Hope that clarifies things. 

bomber12 said:
I have applied as infantry and was wondering about the kit as well.

Your trade will have nothing to do with your kit return in St-Jean.  The Army keep most of their kit minus some things such as the rucksack (you keep the sleeping bag), CADPAT fleece set, rain coat, birth-control glasses, ect ect.  You will be issued EVERYTHING when you get there.  Nice everything too, so enjoy it while you have it.  Now, for you, once you get to your DP1 Infantry course, THAT is when you get all your issued kit (mark it!) and its when they will start throwing the fun toys at you.  This would include the night vision goggles, and the good Gen III frag vest. 

Good luck at St-Jean, play the game.

Cheers, Kyle

Correction to the above; you do not get issued NVGs of any kind during DP1; you use them at points throughout, but they are never issued to the individuals on the course.

Back