• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing a Ruck

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Quick question. For context, I was rucking in the summer using plates compiled in backpacks/rucksacks. I have managed to break three packs, one of them expensive. I recently received an offer for infantry and am going to get back on the rucking program before basic. Obviously, I am packing the weight incorrectly since plates are consistently causing the straps to break. I also don't feel like breaking any more packs.

What is the proper way to pack a ruck to achieve a heavy load? In a training setting, what do you use beside plates to achieve heavy weights such as 80-110lbs?

Thanks for any tips you guys can provide.

I've had a ruck up to 90lbs with just clothes water and food. Anything heavy needs to be high up and close to your back. It also needs to be secure. A 45lb plate rattling around in your ruck is probably what's causing your problem andyou might want to check out the weight limits of the bags. Expensive doesn't mean it can carry the weight. You may be better off buying a surplus 82 pattern ruck for cheap and beating it up.

As @PuckChaser points out - secure and high up on the body is key.

If the weight isn’t secure - then the added force of it jostling around is going to trash anything- even my Mystery Ranch or Kifaru ruck.

I can put 140lbs in either of my rucks and they do fine — but it’s not loose weight / and any sharp edges on objects are wrapped.

I’m not a big fan of adding weight plates for weight in rucks, sandbags, water jerrycans, (or a few thousand rounds of linked ammo), and batteries is a much better option as it give the bulk to the ruck that one would face with an operational load anyway.

The ‘64 pattern jump ruck was the only ruck that one could add weight plates too without significant drama - as you could sandwich it between the frame and valise and cinch it down with the A7A straps. I know some folks who use the integrated PALS straps on the Mystery Rack MFP ruck to lock plates on - but frankly I don’t like the idea of subjecting those straps to stuff outside of what’s needed when jumping it.

FWIW I wouldn’t recommend the 82 pattern ruck, I got significant nerve damage from the frame on that when loaded past 50lbs - it took years after I threw that ruck away to get the feeling back in both of my hands - no idea what sort of idiot thought a coat hanger frame and cardboard padding would be a good idea for a rucksack.

There is also a fine line between hard and stupid when it comes to ruck runs and weights. I jumped that line multiple times over the years and it does come back to bite you.

Hey folks,

Quick question. For context, I was rucking in the summer using plates compiled in backpacks/rucksacks. I have managed to break three packs, one of them expensive. I recently received an offer for infantry and am going to get back on the rucking program before basic. Obviously, I am packing the weight incorrectly since plates are consistently causing the straps to break. I also don't feel like breaking any more packs.

What is the proper way to pack a ruck to achieve a heavy load? In a training setting, what do you use beside plates to achieve heavy weights such as 80-110lbs?

Thanks for any tips you guys can provide.

Use water, preferably in secure, flexible containers like a 'dromedary bag' or equivalent.

It flexes as you move and doesn't cause damage to the frame.

Also, if you're injured or just want to change the weight, you can dump the water during your tabbing journey...

One issue I will state from having a few different 20L Dromedary bags in/on my ruck for several months in the early and mid 2000’s - they aren’t the most sturdy items (even though they appear to be). Strapping them tightly inside a ruck tends to end badly, as water doesn’t like compressing- and over bumps and bashes - the seams tend to fail.

If you opt for water as weight, I’d recommend multiple 2-5L bags over one or two larger ones. You can drink out of an exterior one, replace and repack the bag as the drinking one is expended.

2x 5 gallon water jerry cans, the cans weight 5-7lbs each, plus 41ish lbs of water each. That should bring you to that 90-95ish lbs of weight. Dump the water out if you get tired.
I use to use one sand bag and jerry can of water myself. Sand bag at the bottom of the ruck, the jerry can and some of my other gear to fill the voids.
Don't hurt yourself rucking, especially before basic.

Back