• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Overhead protection and fuel tablet questions

YoshinRyu

Inactive
Reaction score
Just bought 3 support kit, overhead protection, c2 from 1984, has anyone used these, what kind of protection (chemical?), what shape and size (have not opened one up yet)

Also got fuel tablets (6pc hexamine) from 1991 with retest date 1994. Are these still good? Is it safe to remove the outside wrapper so i can get the instrutions without damaging storage time?

And I picked up a 12pk of US1992 MRE heaters, do these expire? Have any one used them to heat not MRE food products?

OHP to cover your trench when getting shelled or from lousy weather.
It's just a big ground sheet with string's and anchors.
Just follow the instructions and they can be quite cozy if the open end is not facing to the elements. ;D
You lay it out over your trench and cover it with a min of 14" of spoil fom the trench you have just dug and camo it with the same spoil.A 5 min. job.

YoshinRyu said:
Also got fuel tablets (6pc hexamine) from 1991 with retest date 1994. Are these still good? Is it safe to remove the outside wrapper so i can get the instrutions without damaging storage time?

And I picked up a 12pk of US1992 MRE heaters, do these expire? Have any one used them to heat not MRE food products?

fuel tabs can be effectively stored in a ziploc bag. You just need to protect them from moisture.

The MRE heats could expire as the chemical gets old and degenerates. I am unsure the timeframe. I have used it once to heat and IV bag, and it worked ok.

By the way, both when used give of noxious fumes which are not good for you. Use in open or well ventilated spaces.

Spr.Earl said:
You lay it out over your trench and cover it with a min of 14" of spoil fom the trench you have just dug and camo it with the same spoil.A 5 min job.
;D ;D Not in Gagetown !!!   ;D   ;)

YoshinRyu said:
Just bought 3 support kit, overhead protection, c2 from 1984, has anyone used these, what kind of protection (chemical?), what shape and size (have not opened one up yet)

Just because no one else has asked, I've got to ask out of curiousity, *why* would you buy these???

That being said, they provide NO chemical protection what so ever. It's basically just a tarp, with strings.

With enough of them together, overlapping, over a trench, you MIGHT gain some minimal protection from nuclear fallout. That being said, 3 of them certainly wouldn't cover enough of an area for any sort of effective protection from fallout, and particularly as they aren't designed for such, there would certainly be many better alternatives (Plywood for example and 2x4/4x4 posts are a far superior alternative to SCOP kits)

I keep 2 in my trunk for emergencies along with other odds and sods.
They make a good shelter if you have any common dick.

I am non-military but like to have preps. And military things amuse me   8)

They were cheap and I can always use fuel tabs are they are not that easy to find in hiking stores.

The tarps looked interesting and maybe good for non-fox hole use, I'll open one now to see the size and keep the other two on hand. ADDED: Ok I have opened one up and was able to fold it back up to the same size. The tarp has no rope holes but is a good size for a one man shelter used low to the ground, not as roomy as a 10x12 tarp. The anchors would make great snow stakes but are about half the weight of the kit. The rope is at least 12' (48' total) of strong cord though I wish it was green and not white. I'll take it to work and weigh everything to see the anchor/tarp weight ratio.

Still amazed by the storms we have gone through but the lack of preps people have.

Earl, you've never had to hand dig a stage six trench in beautiful sunny Meaford, have you?? ;)

The SKOP kit cord is some nice stuff, thin and strong. The cord has small metal tabs on the ends and it is tied up in a Houdini arrangement. The sheet is made of woven polyethelene. It makes a fine barbecue cover, lasts for years. The anchors are useless for any practical application, they don't have even scrap value. The plastic bag the kit comes in is fine for keeping your goods dry. An interesting item of mystery with a catchy name for someone who hasn't used it. For the remainder, just something the CQ held and sometimes handed out.

The heat tabs may still be good for use, I have used some old stock myself. Just keep them dry, they will probably crumble to dust otherwise. I suppose you have the lightweight aluminum shield for the canteen cup? The tablets, instructions and shield should all be contained in a plastic ziplock bag.

I can't say how long your MRE heaters will last. My ration heating experiences is limited to heat tabs, mountain stove, Coleman stove, inside my parka and warmed by entry into my stomach.

Is it SCOP or SKOP? I was thinking SCOP, Support, Cover, Overhead Protective, never actually knew what it stood for though.

Back