• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Opportunity for Reserve deployment [Merged]

• Thread starter Thread starter Pve Noesgaard
  • Start date Start date
P

Pve Noesgaard

I heard a rumor that there might be an tour coming up for infantry reservists in 38 brigade to go to afghanistan sometime in the next year to be a security force or something.  Does anyone know anything about this?

I don't know sh*t from any credible source BUT I do remember hearing that after Canada finishes the 18-month "stand-down" they'll be upping the numbers over there again. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to have some reservists to help bolster the ranks.

Ask your 2 i/c ahead of time to find out...

I don't think 38 Brigade is sending a Pl on Op Athena for a bit, considering the Pl they just sent to Camp Mirage (which is not in Afghanistan) just came back before Christmas.  Ask your Training WO through your CoC, for any positions as you may get lucky.  There is also the chance that the Reg Force will need individual Reserve Augmentation to fill up some positions on upcoming tours.  I wouldn't hold my breath though as most of the Infantry reservists that are taken are for CIMIC or because they have courses/qualifications that the Reg Force is short in.

The rumour going around on the left coast is that there is going to be a new version of the CRIC (Composite Reserve Infantry Company) going to Afghanistan in early 2006. That rumour originated from our Ops shop.

westie47 said:
The rumour going around on the left coast is that there is going to be a new version of the CRIC (Composite Reserve Infantry Company) going to Afghanistan in early 2006. That rumour originated from our Ops shop.

Talking to my OC at the university a few days ago; and he said something about being asked to lead a company sized unit in Afganistan to provide protection for NGO's in Afganistan. He wants it based off of 39 Brigade units.

A tasking was announced at my unit. 33 CBG needs to supply 25 troops for a D&S platoon, deploying in July for Roto 4.

Interesting, what trades are they looking for, will the taskings be posted across Canada within the reserve world of doing things!  Any info would be definitely appreciated!

I am doing build up training now to go on South Bound Trooper (training in Virginia, USA) which is set up like Afghanistan. 28 of us from 2NSH, in 36 Brigade are going down. of the 28, i believe 10 or so will be doing some training with 2RCR for 6 months and then do a 6 month tour in Afghanistan with them.

Thanks for the info, work out west with 41 Bridgade, haven't heard too many taskings out west, must be looking for Rifleman & Drivers?

Just last week at my unit they were handing out applications for overseas deployment for the 2nd time this year. I'm in 31 brigade BTW.

My unit (in 41 Bde) gave us a big spiel about raising a D&S platoon to begin trg next Sept and "maybe or maybe not" deploying in spring 2006. Judging from this thread, something tells me the idea isn't quite kosher.

Do reserves ever get deployed and how likely is it? I ask because I'm interested in peacekeeping (which some of you might view as a waste of time, but that would be a different topic), but would like to join the reserves so I can pursue a civilian career as well. Thanks.

This has been asked and answered a few times already.  Here is your one and only spoon feeding.

Yes Reservists can be deployed, but they volunteer for deployments. 

Also, I don't know if you've been watching the news or not, but there hasn't been a major UN/NATO Peace Keeping type mission in awhile.. it's all been about Combat Operations in Afghanistan, and now recently a training mission in Afghanistan.  As well as the Combat Operations being conducted over Libya.

Now go, and read around the forums, as well as educate yourself on Canadian deployments this past decade on news websites and DND/Canadian Forces websites, etc.

-Skeletor- said:
Also, I don't know if you've been watching the news or not, but there hasn't been a major UN/NATO Peace Keeping type mission in awhile..
Well actually, Canada has troops participating in seven of the 15 current UN ops. There are two more spooling up associated with Sudan and South Sudan, which will include Canadian participation.

Yes, amongst my five deployments, I did 10 months in Afghanistan; but I try not to write-off everything that wasn't my tour.

Journeyman said:
Well actually, Canada has troops participating in seven of the 15 current UN ops. There are two more spooling up associated with Sudan and South Sudan, which will include Canadian participation.

Good luck getting on those if you're not an officer though... I've seen some of the CFTPO bricks, Capt and above.

Journeyman said:

Yes, amongst my five deployments, I did 10 months in Afghanistan; but I try not to write-off everything that wasn't my tour.

I meant operations with large amount of troops.  As far as I know, the current peace keeping missions are rather small scale.  As well, I don't believe there are many positions for Jr NCMs on those operations. - Other posts by the OP show that he wants to join as a Med Tech.

It's not a recruiting thread, hence JM's needing to reply and be heard ;)

Golkarian said:
Do reserves ever get deployed and how likely is it? I ask because I'm interested in peacekeeping (which some of you might view as a waste of time, but that would be a different topic), but would like to join the reserves so I can pursue a civilian career as well. Thanks.

Go here to see the current missions http://www.comfec-cefcom.forces.gc.ca/pa-ap/ops/index-eng.asp

Few, if any, are what you would consider classic blue beret peacekeeping missions, a al Bosnia & Cyprus.

As stated, Reserves have to volunteer for deployment as opposed to being ordered to go. Even if you joined as an officer, it'd be a long time before you ever got in a position to get loaded to one of the current missions.

Although the military is always full of non sensical suprises that no expects. So never say never.

All the rest is fly shit\ pepper nause.

Back