• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Op IMPACT: CAF in the Iraq & Syria crisis

Good2Golf said:
When you file.  Your HA/RA will be included in Box 40 on your T4.  The amount in Box 40 will not be included as taxable income.

Regards
G2G

So it's too late for this year.

Quirky said:
So it's too late for this year.

If I read the Dept. of Finance page correctly, no...not too late; you would be covered for all of 2015 and the last three months of 2014 as well:

Tax Relief for Personnel Deployed on Designated International Operational Missions

Mission name                  Beginning of the applicable period            End of the applicable period
Op IMPACT (Kuwait)                  October 5, 2014                                                                Ongoing

Regards
G2G

Eye In The Sky said:
Not that I am aware of... :-\

I am headed over soon, and I see this as part of my 3 Step Jenny Craig Middle Eastern Diet plan:

1) no alcohol
2) DFAC food
3) 120F weather

I may well be able to reverse my slide from Light Infantry to Middle Heavyweight Infantry.....

Eye In The Sky said:
If I was to get any back, I would consider donating it to the "Special Health Care for Fucktards" fund.  I would love to see a cure for people affected with this socially disabling condition, such as yourself.

Max Milpoints for that.

I'm just wishing I could go over with you guys, mad respect for all you guys over there and going over.  :salute:

PPCLI Guy said:
I am headed over soon, and I see this as part of my 3 Step Jenny Craig Middle Eastern Diet plan:

1) no alcohol
2) DFAC food
3) 120F weather

I may well be able to reverse my slide from Light Infantry to Middle Heavyweight Infantry.....

If you are headed to the same location the LRP folks are at, the DFAC isn't bad really.  Bored at midnight?  Pop up for an omelette!  Bored at 3am?  Silver Bullet has food all night.  Breakfast starts at 0430, lunch starts at 1030.  You can eat, then get back in line for take-out (handy for getting flight feeding when on odd work hours). 

Middleweight might be more reasonable if you are bored a lot after the first week.    >:D

EITS, glad to hat that the DFACs are improving.  Khar wasn't bad, but the one in Bagram was quite something, and definitely drove a lot of folks to Popeyes, Pizza Hut and Burger King... ;D

PLCLI Guy, the 15-20L of wate a day should help! :nod:

Cheers
G2G

Lots of people walk from Camp Canada to the DFAC and back, easy way to change the day up and burn a few calories.  Although that isn't so fun in the hotter weather.

Assuming most people are heading to Camp Canada with C P.V. doing the thing it is doing, I'll also mention there are a few other choices to the DFAC...and the one that does Chinese is worth the $.  Great spicy shrimp dish there (name eludes me).

There was an 11 day span when the soft ice cream machine was U/S.  That was a tough time. A few people cracked but no one actually broke.

Eye In The Sky said:
If you are headed to the same location the LRP folks are at, the DFAC isn't bad really.  Bored at midnight?  Pop up for an omelette!  Bored at 3am?  Silver Bullet has food all night.  Breakfast starts at 0430, lunch starts at 1030.  You can eat, then get back in line for take-out (handy for getting flight feeding when on odd work hours). 

Middleweight might be more reasonable if you are bored a lot after the first week.    >:D

Ah, but does the place have <a href="https://justdfacsmaam.wordpress.com/2011/06/12/the-omelette-king">Santos the Omelette King?</a>

Dimsum said:
Ah, but does the place have <a href="https://justdfacsmaam.wordpress.com/2011/06/12/the-omelette-king">Santos the Omelette King?</a>

No.  It does not.

But it does have someone similar at the desert bar. 

I was redeployed on a TAV after my initial tour and on my first trip to the desert bar the guy there gave me my usual order of this Caramel Pecan ice cream.  True story.

I walked all the time there, averaging 25kms on days when we didn't fly.  It is how I remained sane.

ETIS - Have you guys gotten any word on medals yet?  How about the GSM/GCS combo now that you are eligible for both?

Dolphin_Hunter said:
No.  It does not.

There are lots of omelette dudes but...not sure any of them are Kings. 

But it does have someone similar at the desert bar.

:nod:

ETIS - Have you guys gotten any word on medals yet?  How about the GSM/GCS combo now that you are eligible for both?

Had to submit photocopies of log books to the SOR to be signed 'true copies' or something along that line before Xmas Leave.  On the actual medals, there seems to be 2 different schools of thought;  GW told me when he was doing his 1/2 days when he got back, the Medals Clerk said they were ordering both for aircrew who got their dirty thirty, but I've heard others say its 'one or the other'.

There school of thought that goes with the 2'fer-one is if you flew 35 missions, and were in Happy Land for say, 95 days, you had 2 gongs for the price of one with 35 op theatre days and 60 support location days.  The other school of thought is 'nope, you get the throwing star if you did 30+ and the gong if you didn't 29 or less.

:dunno:

I hope whichever people get, it has Flush! Brush! Flush! on it somewhere  ^-^

Eye In The Sky said:
There school of thought that goes with the 2'fer-one is if you flew 35 missions, and were in Happy Land for say, 95 days, you had 2 gongs for the price of one with 35 op theatre days and 60 support location days.  The other school of thought is 'nope, you get the throwing star if you did 30+ and the gong if you didn't 29 or less.

:dunno:

I hope whichever people get, it has Brush!  Flush!  Brush! on it somewhere  ^-^

Yeah I don't think anyone would get two based on one rotation (yes the clerk told me that too, I sent her this ref, but I think I just confused things), but if you went over flew 30 and came back then redeployed you would be eligible for the GSM based on this reference..

" CANFORGEN 072/10
Para F.  WITH THE NEW PRINCIPLE OF ROTATION RECOGNITION, THE EXISTING PROVISION STATING THAT ONE CANNOT EARN BOTH THE GCS AND GSM IN RESPECT OF THE SAME OP IS AMENDED SO THAT IT IS NOW POSSIBLE FOR A PERSON TO EARN AND WEAR BOTH THE GCS AND THE GSM FOR A GIVEN THEATRE AS LONG AS THE PERSON DOES NOT MEET THE CRITERIA FOR BOTH DURING THE SAME 6 MONTHS PERIOD. WHEN A PERSON MEETS THE CRITERIA FOR THE GCS-SWA OR A BAR TO IT AND THE GSM-SWA OR A BAR TO IT WITHIN A PERIOD OF 180 DAYS, THE PERSON SHALL ONLY BE AWARDED THE GCS OR A BAR TO IT "

I think it would be worth looking into, I know the flavour of the day is "NO".  I know I would be looking into it, but I am handcuffed to my desk and can't get back over  [:mad:

I know people will read this para and say "but that only applies to the SWA..", when clearly it is an example.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Yeah I don't think anyone would get two based on one rotation (yes the clerk told me that too, I sent her this ref, but I think I just confused things), but if you went over flew 30 and came back then redeployed you would be eligible for the GSM based on this reference..

" CANFORGEN 072/10
Para F.  WITH THE NEW PRINCIPLE OF ROTATION RECOGNITION, THE EXISTING PROVISION STATING THAT ONE CANNOT EARN BOTH THE GCS AND GSM IN RESPECT OF THE SAME OP IS AMENDED SO THAT IT IS NOW POSSIBLE FOR A PERSON TO EARN AND WEAR BOTH THE GCS AND THE GSM FOR A GIVEN THEATRE AS LONG AS THE PERSON DOES NOT MEET THE CRITERIA FOR BOTH DURING THE SAME 6 MONTHS PERIOD. WHEN A PERSON MEETS THE CRITERIA FOR THE GCS-SWA OR A BAR TO IT AND THE GSM-SWA OR A BAR TO IT WITHIN A PERIOD OF 180 DAYS, THE PERSON SHALL ONLY BE AWARDED THE GCS OR A BAR TO IT "

I think it would be worth looking into, I know the flavour of the day is "NO".  I know I would be looking into it, but I am handcuffed to my desk and can't get back over  [:mad:

I know people will read this para and say "but that only applies to the SWA..", when clearly it is an example.

I didn't know about that ref.  I am 'meh' either way personally, but this ref should (will) go up the CofC.  And, it actually makes sense IMO.  Well, military sense.  ;D

The good news is the GSM folks are getting theirs now prior to departing.  I think that's the way to do it.

http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&catalog=photos&template=detail_eng.np&field=itemid&op=matches&value=72612&site=combatcamera

Eye In The Sky said:
I didn't know about that ref.  I am 'meh' either way personally, but this ref should (will) go up the CofC.  And, it actually makes sense IMO.  Well, military sense.  ;D

The good news is the GSM folks are getting theirs now prior to departing.  I think that's the way to do it.

http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&catalog=photos&template=detail_eng.np&field=itemid&op=matches&value=72612&site=combatcamera

Yes I heard that.  I think it is good.   

I do however think that it stinks that we have to wait, personally I don't really care, but I do care about our young guys.  Some of those fellas have been there 4 times and still have nothing to show for it.  Yes it isn't all about the bling, but when you see the folks in camp getting their coin, it can be a bit of a morale killer.  Of course going over 4 times could be a morale killer too..

Random question, but if someone with a GCS-SWA already goes over, do they then get a bar on their GCS for this Op and a GSM?

Dolphin_Hunter said:

Is there an Op IMPACT or Iraq Bar?

Back