• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario Liberals paid $10,000 to have data erased: OPP

Status
Not open for further replies.

acen

Inactive
Reaction score
Should hope a few people will get charged for this, but realistically, we'll just re-elect them again.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/liberals-paid-10-000-to-have-data-erased-opp-1.2877944

Peter Faist, an IT consultant and spouse of former premier Dalton McGuinty's deputy chief of staff, was paid $10,000 by the Liberal caucus to wipe data off of approximately 20 government computers, according to the Ontario Provincial Police.

The allegation, unproven in court, comes from an OPP Information to Obtain (ITO) document release by the Ontario Superior Court on Thursday. The document was used to get a search warrant, which was executed at a government office in late November.
■Warrant sought emails of McGuinty Liberals' staff as part of criminal probe

Faist, who is married to Laura Miller, is said to have deleted data relating to the cancellation of two gas plants in the Toronto area during the midst of an election campaign. Police suspect the data included internal email conversations regarding the cancellation of the gas plants.

David Livingston, McGuinty's chief of staff, is accused of ordering the deletion of the emails.

Police allege that Livingston, in emails, requested information on how to delete emails permanently and ultimately gave Faist access to the computers.

Faist told police he did not have a contract for the work.

His company, however, had been previously employed by the provincial government, completing more than $50,000 worth of contract work, the documents reveal.

The ITO contains more than 72 pages of information on the alleged data deletion.

The cancellation of the two gas plants cost the province an estimated $1.1 billion, according to the province's auditor general. The former McGuinty administration announced the cancellations in 2012. McGuinty stepped down in early 2013.

acen said:
Should hope a few people will get charged for this, but realistically, we'll just re-elect them again.
This is so true mil points for that.

Sad but true. It would be nice to see the senior leadership who authorized this do hard time, pour encourager les autres. The other outcome which would be nice is if this can open the floodgates to spill more documentation and discovery on all the other scandals which Ontarian's have been paying for all these years.

Currently the Ont Libs can get away with murder.

It will take a credible, competent and modern conservative leader to supplant the liberals, *in concert* with massive and undeniable evidence of liberal failure and corruption IN THE MSM.

It would also help if people could get Mike Harris out of their minds and if we could get rid of Kathleen Wynne; she fills too many quotas to be easily beaten in an election, no matter her performance or agenda.

Shrek1985 said:
It would also help if people could get Mike Harris out of their minds

It's like that Family Guy episode where all Lois has to do to get elected is keep saying '9-11' over and over........

Shrek1985 said:
It would also help if people could get Mike Harris out of their minds and if we could get rid of Kathleen Wynne ....
Like a few people told me after the last Ontario election, people were more scared of the Tories than pissed off at the Liberals.

Fear is a powerful motivator, but ultimately it fades. History is replete with the bones of leaders who relied on fear to ascend to the pinnacle of government. It may get you there, but it doesn't keep you there. Totalitarian regimes notwithstanding.

milnews.ca said:
Like a few people told me after the last Ontario election, people were more scared of the Tories than pissed off at the Liberals.

Well, Hudak played into that very well himself; being a total dingbat.

Shrek1985 said:
Well, Hudak played into that very well himself; being a total dingbat.

Ontario would have lost that 100,000 due to attrition over a five year period. They were also going to be cut from middle and upper management, and speaking from experience we have plenty (due to the Liebrals) in those positions that do absolutely shit.

McWynne also only received 38.6% of the vote, a little bit around southern Ottawa, two seats in the north and all the rest from the Golden Horse Shoe.

Obviously, it was Toronto that got her re-elected, and Toronto needs to be fed and the hell with the rest of the Province.

Perhaps it's time to limit the damage, that the Grand Duchy of TO creates, by amalgamating some ridings and remove the lopsided advantage.

Although most of the Province is in disagreement, the Big Smoke gets its way like a screaming petulant child. If they have a transportation problem, they can increase the taxes and pay for it themselves. London, England created funds to help with transportation in that city by charging a surtax to drive your car there. If your travelling to work from outside the area, you pay. So, all those people that live in the burbs, from Brampton, Oakville, etc and drive to their jobs everyday, in TO, can pay for the transit themselves.  The rest of the Province is already starved and now we have to pay for more subways and such that none of us will ever use.

The only thing Hudak did wrong was not being able to explain his plan.

The laughable part in the whole fiasco is the McWynne has to implement Hudak's plan to get her ass out of hock.

And never mind her party is going to return $10,000 for erasing public records to hide their illegalities, how about that same party give us back the over 1 billion they stole from Ontario, for the Gas Plant scandal that the criminal McSquinty had to give up his Premiership and run and hide like the lying weasel he is.

Hudak never had a chance.  The newspapers ridiculed every statement he made and the teachers' unions invested big bucks in advertising including more than a few fraudulent statements that were made up to resemble news items.  No one from Toronto ever drives down to Windsor to see the damage that Wynn's windmills have wrought on the landscape and no one in Toronto ever has to worry about having to put up with the noise, the health hazards, and the loss of savings due to real estate depression. Remember all those newfie jokes.  Well, now it is, "Did you hear about the two guys from Ontario..." and well deserved too.  Our industry is bailing in droves, GM may shut down in Oshawa, Ford already quit St. Thomas as did Aylmer fruits in Leamington and much of it is attributable to Wynn and the press that gave her a free pass while jumping on the PC's every chance they got. 

The other part of the problem is self inflicted by the PCPO.

In 2008, my wife and I walked out of the Parderberg ball and went to visit our friends at the PC convention being held across the street. One of the things I observed was the people who were surrounding John Tory; senior advisors and the sort of behind the scene influencers who run the party.

Fast forward to the run up to the last election. My wife and I attended several functions held in London where Tim Hudak was speaking, and lo and behold many of the same people who were advising John Tory and doing the behind the scenes stuff in 2008 were also in evidence. While Hudak was the public face of the party, the policies, communications strategies and election campaign come from this group of advisors, so they should have a portion of the blame attached to them. (If it is any consolation, the Young Dauphin also seems to be surrounded by many of the same backroom people who proved so *helpful* to Paul Martin, Stephan Dion and Michael Ignatieff. We will see how that works out next year).

Thucydides said:
The other part of the problem is self inflicted by the PCPO.

In 2008, my wife and I walked out of the Parderberg ball and went to visit our friends at the PC convention being held across the street. One of the things I observed was the people who were surrounding John Tory; senior advisors and the sort of behind the scene influencers who run the party.

Fast forward to the run up to the last election. My wife and I attended several functions held in London where Tim Hudak was speaking, and lo and behold many of the same people who were advising John Tory and doing the behind the scenes stuff in 2008 were also in evidence. While Hudak was the public face of the party, the policies, communications strategies and election campaign come from this group of advisors, so they should have a portion of the blame attached to them. (If it is any consolation, the Young Dauphin also seems to be surrounded by many of the same backroom people who proved so *helpful* to Paul Martin, Stephan Dion and Michael Ignatieff. We will see how that works out next year).

They've always been their own worst enemy; it's like voting for Linus and then having him go into a rant about the great pumpkin just when things are looking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back