• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

old cadet uniforms vs. new ones

• Thread starter Thread starter TG1 GUNNER
  • Start date Start date

why do you think they changed it

• budget cuts

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • dident like the way they looked

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • wanted to save money

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • other

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • all of the above

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
LOL!!  It's funny how the most simplis things work the best, thanks burrows

Burrows said:
Yeah I must say...I like the look of the new ones better... although...I wont be having to iron pants or polish much soon eh caroline?

gah, try Ironing your kilt... thats a good hour gone done the drain!

madchicken said:
LOL!! It's funny how the most simplis things work the best, thanks burrows

Didnt get to be a mod just by my good looks...(although...I like to think I did :P )...Had to know the trade secrets too...
No problem...Glad to help.

Dry Cleaners = my best friend...especially when I get my kilt...theres no way im ironing all those layers......although...the hour I iron in silence could be my reflection time on better way to torture my cadets ;D.. Ironings not that bad...

In my year and a half in the forces, i have yet to touch a pair of pants with an iron. when the crease gets bad, i take them to the cleaners, that simple. a small price to look good.

Before every one goes bashing the new material, the old material is NOT made anymore, thats what prompted the switch. Moreover, for older Cadets you might remember if you had friends that smoked or burn polished it was quite flammable compared to normal clothing and our current stuff.

The creases, once they're in should stay in unless you really toss your pants around; a hot iron will effectivly melt the creases in to the fabric.

I have had uniforms made of both, and worn battle dress. I hated the ladder, and of the two fabrics prefer the new; looks better, doesnt wrinkle as easily, doesn't fade as easily, irons well (the old stuff got shiny as well, hate to tell ya  :P ), doesn't hold smells as distinctly, is darker (hides dirt, see: CSTC), and is considerably more durable (harder to brun, rip, and impossible to pull)

Chimo

Well Master Of the corporals(Yes Im on CW)...a very good point...

Anyone remember the recent uniform switch they made, the ones with the belt sewn onto the Tunic.

- Shawn

I don't really have a problem with the current uniforms.  They resemble the CF uniforms slightly, but not enough to mistake a cadet for a CF Member (although I've often been mistaken for one).

Also on the topic of ironing ... my ceremonial dress (RMC Scarlets) requires no ironing for the pants (and the tunic of course is not ironed).

The biggest problem is that the new stuff doesn't burn...it melts! We did some messed up thing and a friend fell and his pants were melted to him leg! Not the best stuff for the job...

I remember the old stuff held a darn near perfect crease, couldn't get it out, bad for train tracks...but the new stuff just loses the crease in two hours or so. It's horrible...you can melt the fabric to make them stay, but do they ever get shinney...I wore the old stuff for levels 1-3, and the new stuff for 4-now(6), I preffered the old stuff. And we still have 2 or 3 cadets outfitted in it...

The secret for keeping a crease in the new pants is to put a piece of masking tape on the insides of the legs. You just put the tape where you want the crease and iron away-it keeps the crease a lot longer. Also use starch, that seems to help for me.

Burrows, I demoted myself from Master of the Corporals, now Im just a Corporal :p

Keeping a crease in seems like a challenge, but iron your pants every day for about 10 minutes over a 1 week period, and for the love of god USE A PRESSING CLOTHE (I use my moms non-greasy kitchen rags). I promise between that and obscene amounts of starch (which will leave a grotesque stain, if your truly using 'enough') that you will have a crease that will cut diamonds, should the need arise.

And about that funny starch stain you would then have in your pants, it'll come out easily if you just get one of those things that sprays water for watering plants, and just hang the pants and let them drip. I guess you could wash them, but I hate washing Cadet uniforms, I only use dry cleaning like others on the board.

Back