• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officers age/exp

Kebel

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know the CF have 4 kind of officers (excluding NCO). Subordinate, Jr, Sr, and Gen.

If i'm not mistaking, 2lt to Capt are Jr. and Maj to Col are Sr.

My questions are concerning the practical definition of Jr. and Sr.. When do you turn Sr.? I guess it's according to your rank but it also have to be related to the age/exp. Can you still be Jr. after 25 years of service? Can you turn Sr. after only 5-10 years?

2Lt - Capt are Junior Officers regardless of age/experience.  Majs - Cols are Senior Officers, regardless of age/experience.  It's a clear cut definition.

There's plenty of 25 year Captains in the service, and there's probably a few 10 year Majors around too.

Kebel said:
Hi everyone,

I know the CF have 4 kind of officers (excluding NCO). Subordinate, Jr, Sr, and Gen.

If i'm not mistaking, 2lt to Capt are Jr. and Maj to Col are Sr.

My questions are concerning the practical definition of Jr. and Sr.. When do you turn Sr.? I guess it's according to your rank but it also have to be related to the age/exp. Can you still be Jr. after 25 years of service? Can you turn Sr. after only 5-10 years?

Thx Redeye for the quick answer.

I'm happy to read you. Fortunately it's not like some other places where EXP > Skills & work ethic

There are minimum time-in-rank requriements for promotion; experience is considered one of the pillars of the CF professional development system.

Experience is one of the components for making the jump from Jr to Sr officer...along with meeting certain other requirements like command exams, merit (based on PER's), certain courses, recommendations etc.

The latter components make up more of the skills section you mentioned earlier.

Kebel said:
I'm happy to read you. Fortunately it's not like some other places where EXP > Skills & work ethic

What exactly do you mean?  Experience counts for a whole lot.  At each rank level you will need to have done certain key appointments in order to get promoted.

At this point I would worry about getting through your training and not about promotion later on.  You should be aware of promotion requirements and do what you can to meet them, but I would not obsess about it at this time.

I'm not worried about it at all.. believe me :)

At first i was just trying to know what's the difference between Jr and Sr haha

Back