• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer Recruitment Specifics?

graves

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,

I was hoping to get some clear answers considering my application process with the CF.   I am just entering into my final year at University, meaning that I will be graduating come next December, and plan on entering the Air Force to become a pilot.   Considering this, I was hoping someone would be able to help me out with the following questions:

- On average how long would the application process take, and is it dependent on your intended career this early in the process?   As I understand it, the pilot selection process is designed to assess if you have the aptitude to become a pilot, does this take place before you begin basic training or after you complete it?
- Considering I would like to begin the process as early after graduation as possible, how much time should I give myself before I grad to start applying?  
- When does basic training take place during the year?   Is it in 2-month intervals, or longer?  
- Considering the prerequisite for an Officer is a University Degree, what emphasis is placed on grades and extra curricular activities during the recruitment process?   Or rather, is assessment primarily based on your abilities in basic training, officer training and other measured aptitudes?  

I understand that it's quite a few questions, so any information you can provide is appreciated.   My local recruitment office wasn't very helpful in answering the questions I had, but am amazed as to what a resource this forum is.

Thanks-    

I'll take a shot at a few of these. I've accepted an offer for pilot and I start my BOTP in March.

The Air Force has a good site: http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/pilot/index_e.asp

- On average how long would the application process take, and is it dependent on your intended career this early in the process? 
On my Aircrew Selection (ASC) week (last Sept.) none of the 7 of us had been being processed for less than 6 months.  The average was about 8 months with two having been applying for more than a year (they were redoing ASC after completing their private pilot licenses).

The process takes longer for pilots as we have to undergo an extra eye exam (that can take months to schedule in Ottawa) and we have to do a week of ASC in Trenton and Toronto (this can also take months to schedule).

does this take place before you begin basic training or after you complete it?
The Aircrew Selection week has two parts; simulator testing at the ASC and a medical portion at DRDC. ASC says about 65% fail, as well a percentage fails from the medical part.

This all takes place before you join, once you join you still have to do three flying courses before you receive your wings. These courses are after basic training. Inch made  some good posts about this:
http://army.ca/forums/threads/24967.0.html
http://army.ca/forums/threads/18289/post-98961.html#msg98961 

Considering I would like to begin the process as early after graduation as possible, how much time should I give myself before I grad to start applying?
Go and apply as soon as possible. Tell them when you will graduate and get the process started. With some luck you might be able to hit Jan 2006 as a start date.

When does basic training take place during the year?  Is it in 2-month intervals, or longer? 
IIRC Reg force Officer Trg takes place approximately 3 time a year. Starting in Jan, May, and Sept. (I'm starting in March because of previous service). Search this site for IAP or BOTP, others have posted details of these courses.

Considering the prerequisite for an Officer is a University Degree, what emphasis is placed on grades and extra curricular activities during the recruitment process?  Or rather, is assessment primarily based on your abilities in basic training, officer training and other measured aptitudes? 
kincanucks could better address this question.

Good luck with your application.

-Thanks, I really appreciate the information, this webpage has been an amazing resource.

Grades are important in that your education counts for nearly 20 per cent of your assessment on the officer boards.  The higher your education and your grades the better chance you have.  Extra curricular activities that demonstrate leadership are very improtant.

Thanks I appreciate the response.  If possible, I was hoping you could break down the remaining 80% of the assesement on the officer boards, and clarify if extra curricular activites are grouped in with your education?

graves said:
Thanks I appreciate the response.   If possible, I was hoping you could break down the remaining 80% of the assesement on the officer boards, and clarify if extra curricular activites are grouped in with your education?

MP is assigned by the Military Career Counsellor (MCC) and based on:

Academic achievement
accepting criticism
conformity to rules
initiative
motivation towards CF
oral communication
perform under stress
perseverance
physical endurance
teamwork
learning potential (CFAT)

For officers leadership is also assessed.

For the DEO boards:

Education
Academic performance
Leadership/Management
Motivation
Potential/Employability

Hi Carpediem (or anyone who knows!). It looks like I will be going to the ASC week this fall (I would have been going in March but I received a funky blood test result that will take a few months to resolve). Could you tell me what month you went to ASC? Have you flown a real plane and if so how did the simulator compare?  Is there anything one can do to prepare? I've heard Microsoft Flight Sim is good for that. Also, I have noticed that they ask candidates to bring swimming shorts â “ I'm not a strong swimmer, do they test us on that? One more thing :), what is the medical part is all about? 

My apologies for all the questions but you must know what it's like when you're waiting and wondering â “ any info will help to keep me psyched :).

Dave

Could you tell me what month you went to ASC?

I went in September.

Have you flown a real plane and if so how did the simulator compare?

I have a few hours but no license. Your hands and feet work the controls the same way for the same effect but basic flying lessons teach you to fly mostly looking out of the cockpit (VFR) and the simulator test is all instruments. Also, the simulator controls are much more sensitive. IMHO, real flying and simulator both seem to help.

Is there anything one can do to prepare? I've heard Microsoft Flight Sim is good for that.

I practised with MS FlightSim (a whole lot cheaper than real hours). IMHO it helped me a lot (but people passed who had never used it).
CFRC will also give you a study guide once you have a booking for ASC, I read mine many, many times.

I'm not a strong swimmer, do they test us on that?

They did not test me on swimming, but the hotel in Toronto had a pool which was enjoyable.

One more thing, what is the medical part is all about?

They do a number of additional tests on you including; heart ultrasound, lung functioning/capacity, eye tests, medical history interview, and others. Some people do more tests depending on their personal situation. The staff, doctors and technicians and others, are all very nice and helpful. There is nothing to study or prepare for the medical, but I found the process enjoyable and interesting.

good luck.

Carpediem,

Thank you very much for your prompt response! I have the Candidate Study Guide now and I have already read it several times - just can't help it! :) One more thing if I may ... there is a lot of talk regarding math and physics aptitude. I have that background to some extent, but I wonder if they specifically test us on that at ASC?

Thanks again, and congrads! You must be very pleased!

Dave

there is a lot of talk regarding math and physics aptitude

The nav test uses some math and physics. The simulator test for pilots is as oulined in the study guide, there is no other tests (as of Sept. 2004). For pilot, while some math and physics may help, we see several examples on this forum of CF Pilots who don't have math/physics/Comp sci/eng degrees. Take a look at some of Inch's old posts, this topic has been discussed before.

and congrads! You must be very pleased!

Thanks, I'm off to BOTP March 13, hopefully Portage will follow shortly after.

Back